Stan RIP

One of the many footballing greats of the 1970's. I remember going to Loftus Road and seeing Stan Bowles walking out of the ground in his full kit to place a bet in the betting shop across the road about 20 minutes before kick-off and signing autographs on his way back into the ground, only to read the following day that their manager Ron Saunders doing his nut as he was supposed to be in the dressing room attending the pre-match team talk. But not Stan! Bless him!

One of the many footballing greats of the 1970's. I remember going to Loftus Road and seeing Stan Bowles walking out of the ground in his full kit to place a bet in the betting shop across the road about 20 minutes before kick-off and signing autographs on his way back into the ground, only to read the following day that their manager Ron Saunders doing his nut as he was supposed to be in the dressing room attending the pre-match team talk. But not Stan! Bless him!
That is not true, is it?

He once arrived for a game with 12 mins to go because a race had been delayed and scored in the 2nd minute after a rollicking. Whether it was the match R and R was at only he knows!

I know that because read his obit today.

That is an often quoted urban myth

;