Steve Cook

Not really mate.... tinpot and frustrated, those that want to see the club progress off the field.

Unfortunately, I think it is clear by now that the people that run our football club have no intention or ambition for progress and improvement off the field. I don't think there was ever any intention to seriously look into the idea of building a new stadium, it was just a load of hot air. The 'new training facility' has just been a catalogue of excuses. They won't even entertain the idea of a bigger Ted Mac stand, which would, at relatively little cost, atleast enable some more fans to support their team. Meanwhile, if we get promoted, standby for a shed load of shiny new Bentleys and Range Rovers parked outside a stadium for 9,000 home fans. Tinpot, frustrating and embarrassing.

Unfortunately, I think it is clear by now that the people that run our football club have no intention or ambition for progress and improvement off the field. I don't think there was ever any intention to seriously look into the idea of building a new stadium, it was just a load of hot air. The 'new training facility' has just been a catalogue of excuses. They won't even entertain the idea of a bigger Ted Mac stand, which would, at relatively little cost, atleast enable some more fans to support their team. Meanwhile, if we get promoted, standby for a shed load of shiny new Bentleys and Range Rovers parked outside a stadium for 9,000 home fans. Tinpot, frustrating and embarrassing.
Sadly, I agree with all you say here, I think anyone can see it is clearly the truth though we will be accused of bedwetting.

Disappointing as most agree but time to judge is when max finally leaves and the end game is understood. There has been a massive change in the club in a remarkably short space of time. Staggering how much has been changed.

if the plan is to get afcb back in prem (to guarantee cash flow for a few years) and enable max to sell the club (to get a return on his loan) and thus get new investors with deeper pockets to fund a new ground, then you can’t really criticise the current owners imho re time to develop the ground.

conversely, if max is here for the long game then I prefer us not to go mad on transfers and wages IF we get to prem but put the funds into getting the ground back. I would sell a Kelly or Dom to deliver this.

of course if we don’t go up, then we get hit by FFP so a very different discussion.

Steve is clearly emotional about leaving the club, compare that to Wilson and Fraser and many others in the past.

I think he was treated very poorly towards the end, and still put his body on the line when called upon.

I wish him every success at NF, he's been nothing but an exemplary example of how a football player should represent this club.

The final few seconds of that interview, after Neil finishes, really highlight how tough it has been for Cook to make this decision to leave... Not his choice of preference, but professionally, probably the right thing to do...

Be it because he knew he was off, or he simply didn't fancy him as a CB, Parker was never going to play him unless absolutely necessary...

Fantastic servant to this club and his shirt and I think you'd be hard pushed to find anyone that doesn't wish him the best...

What a great interview, he said everything you would expect him to and more. What a gentlemen, clearly understands the club, his place in it's story and what it means to fans. Wish him nothing but success and look forward to seeing him back on the south coast as soon as he can get here.

Intrigued to see what the Forest fans make of it.

If some AFCB fans can apparently get upset about him enjoying a win over Arsenal on his debut…

https://www.forestforum.co.uk/threads/49987-Steve-Anthony-Cook/page11
Indeed DJ! Pleased to see their fans taking to him so quickly. He's rightly a legend and I won't ever forget his magnificent performance against Fulham recently despite clearly not having much game time and not being wanted by Parker. I hope he achieves the appreciation and success he deserves at NF.

Parker....the Manager in place when Cook was transferred....if decisions like that are taken independently by hierarchy ...then He is not effectively managing...
...thus, the Club is in a Mess...and heading Southwards in the Table.

Good 'ol Boscombe......the veteran fans know the score.
We've always said the right thing though...Up the Cherries! :utc: :thumbup:

Missed that, so Parker wanted Cook to stay ? and Cook didn't ?

It's been suggested from a few different sources that Cook was told to find a new club before Parker arrived. All of the highest PL wage earners other than Cook and Lerma left before the seasons and I don't think Cook wanted to sign a cut-wage extension in what is likely to be his last big contract, especially in a side he wasn't guaranteed to start in.

I'm sure Parker could have insisted he stayed but then he wouldn't have any leeway in the transfer market due to Cook's wages.

Hopefully the truth will come out in the wash one day, but I think there is an assumption that the club had identified that Cook (and others) needed to be moved on to get his wages off the books, however, that doesn't mean that Parker couldn't have used Cook throughout his time here... Parker made the decision not to play Cook at all from an early point when he was left home and didn't travel to the training camp.

Cook did not want to leave... If he'd been part of the team and played still, he would still be here... Maybe he would have entertained a reduced contract in the summer... Who knows.

He left now as he knew he was not going to get any game time and wanted to sort his future out for his family.

Cahill turned out to be a decent signing, at the start of the season, but ask me know if I'd rather Cook or Cahill... Only one answer...

Last edited:
The way I read it:
Parker was informed by the board that Cook would likely be moving on, for the sake of the wage bill.
Parker spends pre-season building a team without Cook in his plans.
Cook's move falls through late on before August deadline day.

All of that is out of Parker's hands, and is down to the board.

Despite Cook then being confirmed as staying until at least January, Parker continues to use others until he's absolutely forced to use Cook (when he suddenly turns out to still be decent). That was Parker's decision, and a mistake IMHO.

Cook finally does get that move away - that was out of Parker's hands again and goes back to the board's plans.

I suspect Cookie just wants to play football, here or elsewhere. Being frozen out here even after August probably didn't motivate him to stay on until May.

The way I read it:
Parker was informed by the board that Cook would likely be moving on, for the sake of the wage bill.
Parker spends pre-season building a team without Cook in his plans.
Cook's move falls through late on before August deadline day.

All of that is out of Parker's hands, and is down to the board.

Despite Cook then being confirmed as staying until at least January, Parker continues to use others until he's absolutely forced to use Cook (when he suddenly turns out to still be decent). That was Parker's decision, and a mistake IMHO.

Cook finally does get that move away - that was out of Parker's hands again and goes back to the board's plans.

I suspect Cookie just wants to play football, here or elsewhere. Being frozen out here even after August probably didn't motivate him to stay on until May.

Also a conclusion I could also come to.

What literally doesn't add up, is wanting to move Cook on because of his wages for the remainder of his one year contract.

Only to then sign Cahill on reported similar wages, also on a one year contract.

Neither would have a sell-on value, when Cook moved there was no sell-on value and thus we spent 6 months paying both of them despite refusing to play one.

;