Strange rituals and lucky charms.

AlGard

UTC Legend
Got a friend and his family staying for a few days.
Stoke City fanatic. (Not going too well is it)
Listened to the 3-1 defeat to Preston last night.

Anyway, he always wears one red and one white sock on matchdays.
Obviously this has not been working of late.

For the first time ever, I watched the Villa game with my AFCB shirt on.
Not a fan of a near 60 year old walking around the village with my top on.
Beer belly protruding.

Well, we won, and I shall wear it again on Sunday in the hope it will influence the result.

Does anyone have a lucky omen/ritual pre match?
It's strange what some folk believe in.

In our first season struggling in the prem, I couldn’t take my normal afcb scarf to Chelsea away (my wife was ill and didn’t want to disturb her) so took an ac Milan red and black scarf that I had just bought on eBay as was going to see Milan play the next weekend (Sunday day trip after msn Utd home). Convinced that got us the win at Chelsea so wore it vs Man Utd and then West Brom. 3 wins out of 3 convinced me it was the scarf!

Thus wore it for quite a bit of the next season up to December . Then we went on a 10 match winless streak so got the scarf out and we had a decent run. Finally gave up in 17/18 season!

Beer belly protruding.

Well, we won, and I shall wear it again on Sunday in the hope it will influence the result.

If im listening to the Cherries on Radio and the opposition get a dangerous area free kick or penalty ..when we are only 1 goal up ..I turn the sound off ..and then make a cup of tea...turn it up 5 minutes later...and can usually tell if the score has changed...by the commentators tone....its so daft really !
Even dafter...I move things around...reverse knifes and forks on the table if we go behind ..or ornaments etc.
Its surprising how it can work ! Only if you do it once per match.. twice ..and you can undo the luck!

When we won at Stoke one year ..I was in the home end .....when they were screaming at Callum for alleged diving....I joined in with the shouting at him imitating their accent. with my fingers crossed behind my back...a weird kind of pleasure but even better when we scored and I gave it " fookin Bournemouth, soothern twats" with the most enormous unoticed beaming grin you can imagine.....you need a couple of pints first though to pull it off !

In our darkest (recent) times at the bottom of league 2, I opened a bag of Jelly Babies at the ground. We were behind at that point, I found one red and one black Jelly Baby, sat them on my knee and we came back to win. They were a regular feature that season and they still exist in a zip lock bag in the fridge as we have had nothing but success since that day! Worship the Jelly Babies as they are all powerful.

Beer belly protruding.

If you wear the full kit we might get a clean sheet!

I always buy a sandwich in Chaos Corner and then turn immediate left up side road toward the Neu Camp making sure I walk down the middle of large white arrow in middle of the road. Someone asked me if it always worked and my answer was ‘No, but we would have lost by more if I hadn’t done it’

Kept a chip fork in my back pocket for the majority of one season. Can’t remember what season it was now, either 2003 or 2008 I think.

It was a stained blue colour by the end of the season.

Also one season had to wait to stand in the right place at the urinals before a game after losing a game we should have won having stood somewhere else...

Took the piss that one.

I also did the "I'm fit to wear the shirt" thing on match days in our first PL season. I made a point of wearing my home shirt every match day, wherever I was whatever I was doing. One match day that season I flew into Southampton Airport to visit family and a nice lady behind the car rental desk said "Oh you support Bournemouth. Good team they are !". To be honest I was expecting grief for arriving in Southampton with my AFCB shirt on, not compliments :eek:

As mentioned above, at some point we went on a bad run, despite my best shirt-wearing efforts, and from that point onwards I go through spells of wearing the shirt on match days and not wearing the shirt on match days, depending upon how I feel. I think Sunday will be a shirt on day, the lads will need all the help and support they can get to cause an upset !
:utc:

Some football clubs when things are not going well have the ritual of changing the manager on a fairly regular basis, doesn’t seem to change their luck.

On the other hand another club I know who play in red and black brought in a young former player and asked him to take on his first manager’s job when things were not going well. That club has not looked back since and that ex player is still there now, after taking his club that he supports from the lower leagues right up to the top league.

Maybe the lucky charm is the club owner. Or more likely they have two lucky charms that complement each other.

If we buy Cherries...I save the pips.
When my grandaughters were small I would give them a pile...theyd wash and dry them and paint them different colours with acrylic and make things...glue everywhere!
They were not allowed to paint them White ( Little Leeds Utd colours!) if I was around!
Sacred Cherry Pips!

In our darkest (recent) times at the bottom of league 2, I opened a bag of Jelly Babies at the ground. We were behind at that point, I found one red and one black Jelly Baby, sat them on my knee and we came back to win. They were a regular feature that season and they still exist in a zip lock bag in the fridge as we have had nothing but success since that day! Worship the Jelly Babies as they are all powerful.

Magical!.. Love it!

Same as a lot of other people walk around the ground (home or away) anti clockwise. Often see people doing the same clockwise. Try and remember the names on the photo's behind the East Stand.

Doesn't change anything just a lifetimes habit.

;