Support the players no matter what tomorrow

1. I am always saddened by any negative attitudes towards individual players, who might be the latest victim to be the subject of blame for any poor performances. True fans of great clubs support all their players who pull on the team shirt. How can we educate more of our fans to have a spirit of inclusivity and support for all the players during a game?
NB agreed that there have been multiple players receiving such abuse, that certain players have acknowledged it privately and have wanted to leave as a result. NB asked for supporters to try to get behind the players as much as possible as it does have an impact, especially when securing contract extensions, or when trying to attract players within what is a small world of football. NB stated that abuse is never going to help the team on the pitch, that it can only make things worse. NB said he is happy to listen to ideas on how to try to change the fans’ approach.

1. I am always saddened by any negative attitudes towards individual players, who might be the latest victim to be the subject of blame for any poor performances. True fans of great clubs support all their players who pull on the team shirt. How can we educate more of our fans to have a spirit of inclusivity and support for all the players during a game?
NB agreed that there have been multiple players receiving such abuse, that certain players have acknowledged it privately and have wanted to leave as a result. NB asked for supporters to try to get behind the players as much as possible as it does have an impact, especially when securing contract extensions, or when trying to attract players within what is a small world of football. NB stated that abuse is never going to help the team on the pitch, that it can only make things worse. NB said he is happy to listen to ideas on how to try to change the fans’ approach.

I think Kelly, Billing, Neto and Tav are the one's who get the most stick when they are on a poor run of form - Dom wasn't fit enough to wear the shirt 4 years ago according to a thread on this forum.
Then you have Lerma, who got the most love for a player since I started watching Bournemouth in the early 90's. He walked out when his contract was done.
There are also players like Josh King, Ryan Fraser and even Jordan Zemura who didn't seem bothered about any attachment towards the fans.
I agree with NB
Mepham after the playoffs, and Lloyd Kelly in the Burnley game are the only 2 incidents where I felt embarrassed by our fans. It was disgusting! and well over the top, totally unnecessary.
Back in the day, Steve Fletcher used to get a few moans from our fans who didn't appreciate what he did, only when he had a Steve Jones or Defoe next to him you could see what his game was all about and then in the Eddie era when he was integral.
I wasn't there and couldn't get a stream of the game, but credit to our fans who went away to Norwich in the cup, we got embarrassed 6-0, and our fans clapped the team off the pitch at the end. That was early on in the season and we went on to replace Norwich in the premier league that summer. Moments like that and support like that is why we are in the premier league.

Last edited:
The one thing I would say, is personally I believe the Dean Court crowd, is pretty well educated in comparison to other grounds.

The obvious % of certain demographics within a ground dictates that. If you have a higher percentage of older groups, they, in the main, are more likely to be a lot less vocal and mellow than say a beered up entitled 18 year old. So they are more likely to think they can abuse whoever because they didn’t finish a chance that they’d have taken easily playing FC24 on the Xbox.

The flip side of that is, that demographic are also more likely to generate a raucous home atmosphere to cheer on the team as well.

Either way, if a player wants to leave because of what they see as negativity in a ground they’d be in for a rude awakening elsewhere.

Newcastle fans rightly get celebrated for how they get behind the team under Eddie, but St James’ Park was a horrible place to play for home sides in the years that preceded him.

West Ham United is another, their home fans can either be excellent or toxic.

Whilst I don’t agree when our own fans get on top of the players and agree that it’s detrimental. The fact that’s it’s only a handful of occasions over the years shows that if some players really do want to leave over it, then they may well find the grass isn’t always greener.

Its just a great excuse to run the contract down and be a prissy cnt.

Lloyd Kelly is the prime example at the moment.

Run your contract down, get a 5 million quid signing on bonus from Eddie, and Bob's your uncle.

Contracts are designed wrongly, in football.

Chelsea signed Jackson on an 8 year contract, it's obscene, and outside of FFP parameters.

8 year contracts should be outlawed.

Any player running down his contract would be penalized and signing on bonuses should be minimized.

KELLY has done the square root of **************** all to earn a move to a higher club in the last 2 seasons.

He's been paid to be injured.

Sad cnut has decided he's better than us.

Few good performances in his last 10 games now he's in the window.

Before that he has been absolute shyte for the last 12 months.

Poor Kelly.

He's been tapped up without a shadow of doubt.

How to change things?

An easy one to start with. When the players leave the pitch after pre match warm up they are always cheered and applauded. They never respond.

This is a huge contrast to previous seasons when they would finish the warm up by the north stand and acknowledge the crowd on arrival and departure.

As others have said while nobody condones a stadium singling out an individual footballer (I’ve certainly never done it) it’s an unfortunate part of their job. Doesn’t make it right but doesn’t alter the fact.

I’m sure we’ve all worked jobs where you bear the brunt of irritated customers when things aren’t great. We’d all love to say ‘I don’t care if your chips are cold and we’ve ruined your mums birthday with a burnt steak but you are now barred for ever for the way you spoke to me’ but sometimes you’ve got to roll with the punches.

My daughter works in a gps reception and comes home in tears a lot for dealing with frustrated customers that can’t get an appt. The things people say to her are just awful. She goes back the next day though and earns in two years what Lloyd Kelly earns in a week.

I’d suggest if any footballer doesn’t like a stadium moaning at them when they do a bad job they give it up and do something less stressful? Surely the Bentley and being made for life isn’t worth a fat bloke called Trevor telling you you’ve got two left feet….

Its just a great excuse to run the contract down and be a prissy cnt.

Lloyd Kelly is the prime example at the moment.

Run your contract down, get a 5 million quid signing on bonus from Eddie, and Bob's your uncle.

Contracts are designed wrongly, in football.

Chelsea signed Jackson on an 8 year contract, it's obscene, and outside of FFP parameters.

8 year contracts should be outlawed.

Any player running down his contract would be penalized and signing on bonuses should be minimized.

KELLY has done the square root of **************** all to earn a move to a higher club in the last 2 seasons.

He's been paid to be injured.

Sad cnut has decided he's better than us.

Few good performances in his last 10 games now he's in the window.

Before that he has been absolute shyte for the last 12 months.

Poor Kelly.

He's been tapped up without a shadow of doubt.
Few points-

-They have changed the regulations now to make it so that the maximum length of contract you can amortise a players value over is eight years. So although they can’t outlaw eight year deals, there is now no longer any benefit in terms of FFP to offering an eight year deal as opposed to a five year one.

-You can’t stop clubs from offering hefty signing on bonuses because we operate in a free market economy, as long as they fall with in the financial perimeters of FFP then they can do what they want.

-Lloyd Kelly is not a sad cnut. He is a professional who wants to secure the best deal possible for himself and his family. He has no obligation to stay if he doesn’t want to, he’s not a Bournemouth fan. He clearly has a lot of very good attributes to his game, or else the calibre of club that are looking at him wouldn’t be. With all due respect, you are not more knowledgeable than elite club scouts.

Very little of what you say has any logic to it, it’s just all raw emotion.

Few points-

-They have changed the regulations now to make it so that the maximum length of contract you can amortise a players value over is eight years. So although they can’t outlaw eight year deals, there is now no longer any benefit in terms of FFP to offering an eight year deal as opposed to a five year one.

-You can’t stop clubs from offering hefty signing on bonuses because we operate in a free market economy, as long as they fall with in the financial perimeters of FFP then they can do what they want.

-Lloyd Kelly is not a sad cnut. He is a professional who wants to secure the best deal possible for himself and his family. He has no obligation to stay if he doesn’t want to, he’s not a Bournemouth fan. He clearly has a lot of very good attributes to his game, or else the calibre of club that are looking at him wouldn’t be. With all due respect, you are not more knowledgeable than elite club scouts.

Very little of what you say has any logic to it, it’s just all raw emotion.
Few points-

So when you bet on Nottinghan Forest to beat your own club (presumably AFCB?) to promotion was that logic or raw emotion?

You placed that bet with 12 games to go in that season.

Not one of them was right, just interested in what you were trying to achieve.

You clearly wanted Nottingham Forest to beat us into an automatic promotion place, otherwise you would have cashed out.

That's fcking awful.

But true.

Few points-

So when you bet on Nottinghan Forest to beat your own club (presumably AFCB?) to promotion was that logic or raw emotion?

You placed that bet with 12 games to go in that season.

Not one of them was right, just interested in what you were trying to achieve.

You clearly wanted Nottingham Forest to beat us into an automatic promotion place, otherwise you would have cashed out.

That's fcking awful.

But true.
Nice attempt at deflecting from the topic.

Nice attempt at deflecting from the topic
Not a deflection at all Waz, or whatever username you're using this week.

You made the point that my post had no logic and was raw emotion.

I was simply asking you about your Nottingham Forest bet.

A hefty bet nonetheless.

Was that logic or raw emotion?

How is that deflective?

As others have said while nobody condones a stadium singling out an individual footballer (I’ve certainly never done it) it’s an unfortunate part of their job. Doesn’t make it right but doesn’t alter the fact.

I’m sure we’ve all worked jobs where you bear the brunt of irritated customers when things aren’t great. We’d all love to say ‘I don’t care if your chips are cold and we’ve ruined your mums birthday with a burnt steak but you are now barred for ever for the way you spoke to me’ but sometimes you’ve got to roll with the punches.

My daughter works in a gps reception and comes home in tears a lot for dealing with frustrated customers that can’t get an appt. The things people say to her are just awful. She goes back the next day though and earns in two years what Lloyd Kelly earns in a week.

I’d suggest if any footballer doesn’t like a stadium moaning at them when they do a bad job they give it up and do something less stressful? Surely the Bentley and being made for life isn’t worth a fat bloke called Trevor telling you you’ve got two left feet….

Agree with the sentiment but it's not about players not wanting to play football. It's about them wanting away to a club whose own fans might not abuse them. Most have been at clubs previously where they have not been abused. Case in point is Kelly who has all the qualities to be a top class defender but has definitely been affected by the abuse received from the crowd/ social media. Then as if to prove a point dragonnotyourm8 comes on to give him more unwarranted stick.

It's not just them it affects, it's their families too.

Why would you be ar$ed if you could do the same job for similar money at a club whose fans at least had a neutral attitude towards you?

It's all very well saying he should just deal with it but the point is he's going to deal with it by running his contract down and buggering off somewhere else. All of those booers should pat themselves on the back for a job well done. The same sort of bellends that give your daughter grief by the sounds of it.

;