The 5 best things to do in Watford

Rugby red

First Team
1 stay on the train and admire the grey squalid buildings as you sail by and realise how lucky you actually are.

2 Visit Harry Potter World - a good day out, little know fact is that it was to be built at Vicarage Road but they could not find any Wizards and the dementors objected as they said it felt like all the fun was being sucked out of their lives being in Watford.

3 Visit the magical Vicarage Road revolving door - be careful not to be knocked over by one of the 8 managers leaving since Decemember 2013, soon to become 9.

4 Observe the local populace as they try to convince the world that they are in London - as much as they may eat whelks, jellied eels, pie and mash, dance around like Dick van Dyke and his chimney sweep buddies in Mary Poppins, speak in their mockey accent they are not cockneys, they live in Hertfordshire.
Cockney - NO
Cock Eyed - perhaps

5 If you have any spare time and are feeling brave, visit the Watford chav as they malinger outside Mcdonalds, admiring the buggy brigade. Where young mummies walk around in groups of four, pushing Dwayne or Chantelle, discussing their none existent babies daddies.
But please hang onto your wallet, jacket,. in fact anything including teeth

I hope you enjoy watford as I most certainly did.

I can't see what others see when they slate Watford as a place - it always seems quite nice when I go there weather aside. Sure it's a bit suburban but we are from Bournemouth which is pretty much the largest suburb in Europe.

When we played Hull the season before last, my brother got a ticket in the East stand closest to their fans. He was highly amused by them singing
"You're so Southern, you're almost French"

Cassiobury Park is the nicest bit - decent parkrun.

Their 'strip' is the most violent stretch of road in the country - although I think a part of Old Christchurch road was top 5!

It’s certainly not the place it was but then where is ?
I have connections to Watford from the past - a large part of the family / family friends etc lived in and around Watford for decades - my parents used to go and watch Watford home and away in the 60’s nd early 70’s - my first football was watching them in the Graham Taylor era 78 onwards ....
We moved away from Herts in 79 down to Dorset but still watched them for a few years on and off .
Became a red-blooded Cherry in 87 and have been ever since ...
Still had a soft spot for them and enjoyed visiting the town - Cassiobury Park very nice with the miniature railway , paddling pool , fair etc - friendly place and still is really for the most ...
But everyone has moved away over the years so the affinity has gone though it’s a shame this antagonism has come along ....
I don’t think they are “ Mockney “ the London sprawl has spread to them as it has many other once individual towns ....
Still it was nice to be tempted to purchase a Wilf Rostron face mug in the club shop :grinning:
UTCIAD :utc:

I love lubbly bubbly Watford! No sorry...I'm IN love with them..mainly their Defenders. Id die for a Wilf Rostron Mug .. But I'd draw the line at having Eltons Babies....anyway..moving on swiftly....
Watford ...it can't be denied are a ' Football town' with a Very High degree of Passion for their Football. That is a Prescious thing!
So...any Horns reading this......look guys, you took a Whupping....a Glorious Whupping.. Oh yes Batman! And we will see you again, down at DC..we might have a decent Haul of points by then and can afford a donation to your cause! Dream!
I love my Muff, my Boscombe, a good deal more than my love for you.......but please don't hate us....try to like us...and maybe Love might come from it!
Seriously....My Advice to any decent Watford or Bournemouth fan is this....buy each other a pint....and talk football and about one of us Winning the PL one day!

its just a fishing exercise, I can go 5 miles down the road and they all think they where born within bow-belles. The day started off crap, train rammed, pouring with rain, could only find wetherspoons, ended up on the front row but I walked away with a big smile on my face in the end.
That was a day out to remember

One of my favourite moments was away at Boston when their fans sang "We all agree, Skeggy is better than Bournemouth. [\QUOTE]

We stayed in Skeggy that weekend, honestly what a laugh. Firstly it was a cracking weekend, a great laugh, very memorable. However, talk about being in a parallel universe or stuck in a time warp, every other bloke had a mullet. Many sported shiny sports wear finished off with the black shoes with tassels and white socks!!

Last edited:

;