The Abuse of Kelly v3

Personally, I'd prefer them to bugger off early than abuse our own players during the game. It would also be helpful if they just left rather than standing in the way of those down the front!

If they stay and boo at the end, that's up to them. I showed my disappointment by not clapping at the final whistle and heading straight off to the pub. Not for the first time.

Didn't boo (never do), didn't applaud either. They didn't deserve it. Couldn't wait to get home, didn't put radio Solent on while driving home, didn't watch MOTD or any footage. Just wanted to forget a terrible day at the office.
I was anxious about scummers before yesterday, even more so now.

It's not about hurting their feelings it's about hurting the team's chances of winning.
That’s only one theory of what motivates people though. Two other theories are that if a player is called out for a performance by fans he might either 1) feel bad and think I must put more into my game or 2) think… what a bunch of d***s I will prove them wrong.

This club is littered with players who used the crap fans gave them to turn their performances around and completely win the fans back over. We even named a stand after one and stuck his picture on it until the wind intervened.

Your theory is also relevant… so all three scenarios can play out. Every job has its pros and cons and for a footballer one of the few cons against the many pros are you will get stick from support if your levels dip too long. Stand up comedians are the same. Just like me and you you can’t go to your boss and say can you remove the downsides of my job and leave the upsides please. You do have the option though of finding a different job without the same downsides.

It's not about hurting their feelings it's about hurting the team's chances of winning.
It's an emotional thing watching the ups and downs of your team. We all let out plenty of gasps and cheers and groans, they are purely natural responses to the positive and negative things we see. Booing is different though, it's not an involuntary emotional reaction. It is a form of communication with the intention of telling someone they are crap. It angers me when I hear booing from our own supporters and I certainly heard some yesterday in the Main stand. The players know they were rubbish because they let 4 bl00dy goals in. Either support them or shut up.

Ah, and I was quite amused when the TedMac drummer started to take requests from Hammers fans as it was entertaining and that's what I pay my money for.

That’s only one theory of what motivates people though. Two other theories are that if a player is called out for a performance by fans he might either 1) feel bad and think I must put more into my game or 2) think… what a bunch of d***s I will prove them wrong.

This club is littered with players who used the crap fans gave them to turn their performances around and completely win the fans back over. We even named a stand after one and stuck his picture on it until the wind intervened.

Your theory is also relevant… so all three scenarios can play out. Every job has its pros and cons and for a footballer one of the few cons against the many pros are you will get stick from support if your levels dip too long. Stand up comedians are the same. Just like me and you you can’t go to your boss and say can you remove the downsides of my job and leave the upsides please. You do have the option though of finding a different job without the same downsides.

Well these jeers and boos clearly do wonders for Lloyd Kelly's performances. Tbh I'm not sure they've ever done much positive for anyone really.

I'm not speaking from a player's perspective and I, I'm speaking as someone who's paid just as much as these "I'm entitled to express my opinion" bellends who think the world needs to know they don't like losing.

The boos at half time were pathetic. The team had just had back to back away wins, won three of the last four and people are booing after 45 minutes because its their so called 'right'. Give over, how the hell does that even help when there was still a remote chance of getting back into things. I hate these people, they want everything on a plate, yes they all probably left early because they were having a little girly sulk / strop. Take the bad with the good and support the team ya prize muppets.

The boos at half time were pathetic. The team had just had back to back away wins, won three of the last four and people are booing after 45 minutes because its their so called 'right'. Give over, how the hell does that even help when there was still a remote chance of getting back into things. I hate these people, they want everything on a plate, yes they all probably left early because they were having a little girly sulk / strop. Take the bad with the good and support the team ya prize muppets.
You are 3-0 down at half time to a fellow relegation candidate. What stadium and fan base in the world doesn’t let their team know their feelings? There is only one audible way to do this. I didn’t do it, I rarely do it although get hammered for it because I admitted to doing it once… I don’t have an issue with those that do it as a passionate believer in freedom of expression.

If you have an issue with it and are in the majority there’s an easy solution… drown it out with a massive roar of support as they leave the pitch and nobody will hear the softer sounding booing noise. I hope you did this…

It was inevitable that the boos would ring out at half time, and as Neil has said, given the performance and scoreline, it would probably have been the case in a lot of grounds throughout the country... However, during the game... keep your ridiculous moaning and sarcastic jeers to yourselves...

You are 3-0 down at half time to a fellow relegation candidate. What stadium and fan base in the world doesn’t let their team know their feelings? There is only one audible way to do this. I didn’t do it, I rarely do it although get hammered for it because I admitted to doing it once… I don’t have an issue with those that do it as a passionate believer in freedom of expression.

If you have an issue with it and are in the majority there’s an easy solution… drown it out with a massive roar of support as they leave the pitch and nobody will hear the softer sounding booing noise. I hope you did this…

I'm a passionate believer in supporting the team. Without doubt the same people who reserve the right to boo were probably milking the last two victories, so they're as fickle as hell in my book. The team deserved some slack not to be pilloried because of 45 minutes.

I could understand if the team were on a downward trajectory, players clearly weren't trying or they wanted the board sacked. That's not the case here. We were 3 down due to a couple of errors against a better team.

We have some day trippers who follow this club (heaven help us if a new stadium gets built) we also have some folk who carry a permanent chip on their shoulder who love nothing better than to have a dig for the smallest of reasons whether that's against individuals or the club as a whole.

I'm a passionate believer in supporting the team. Without doubt the same people who reserve the right to boo were probably milking the last two victories, so they're as fickle as hell in my book. The team deserved some slack not to be pilloried because of 45 minutes.

I could understand if the team were on a downward trajectory, players clearly weren't trying or they wanted the board sacked. That's not the case here. We were 3 down due to a couple of errors against a better team.

We have some day trippers who follow this club (heaven help us if a new stadium gets built) we also have some folk who carry a permanent chip on their shoulder who love nothing better than to have a dig for the smallest of reasons whether that's against individuals or the club as a whole.
I agree with most of that. The only thing I’d say though is if you are 3-0 to a relegation candidate in a 6 pointer and have basic tactical deficiencies in any stadium in the world it’s not just people who have a chip on their shoulder who are booing. It’s not the JCL’s either as I’ve seen this team booed off sporadically since 1983! I applaud your attitude though.

I agree with most of that. The only thing I’d say though is if you are 3-0 to a relegation candidate in a 6 pointer and have basic tactical deficiencies in any stadium in the world it’s not just people who have a chip on their shoulder who are booing. It’s not the JCL’s either as I’ve seen this team booed off sporadically since 1983! I applaud your attitude though.
To be 3-0 down at half-time to relegation rivals is always going to be greeted with upset people .
Expectations after 2 straight wins is sky high yet the difference between the bottom 8or9 teams is not much at all, as the table shows .
Add to the fact that everyone in the stadium are all managers, and always know how to fix the problems on the pitch .
In terms of Kelly. I know as a one on one defenders he is excellent, and that is his biggest strength

Strong points on both sides of the argument...criticism has to be a part of it..and to be fair they got the accolades, all of them, after Liverpool, Leicester, Fulham and Spurs.
But ... to react on One player during match time is not good if it's purely down to mistakes...embarrassing and belittling for the player in front of thousands of people and his teammates...and maybe his relatives in attendance.

And how can that help the teams campaign to survive or prosper ?

Well these jeers and boos clearly do wonders for Lloyd Kelly's performances. Tbh I'm not sure they've ever done much positive for anyone really.

I'm not speaking from a player's perspective and I, I'm speaking as someone who's paid just as much as these "I'm entitled to express my opinion" bellends who think the world needs to know they don't like losing.

If you were at Burton in 2010 and saw Connell get abused by an idiot in the crowd while warming up and his reaction to it, I would suggest that it certainly does motivate some people. If you cannot remember then just watch the highlights and Alans response to scoring to see.

I have never booed a Bournemouth player but I am pretty sure abuse does motivate some players. Certainly always seems to motivate the opposition players to score against us... ;)

;