The Booing of Individual Players

The only team that is capable of playing like Man City is Man City. The vast majority of our supporters (ST holders and also those that can only get in to cup games) are fully aware of this. The crowd at DC yesterday was just thoroughly p*ssed off watching a PL team where players were incapable of controlling the ball, passing to a team mate, or moving around the pitch to find space to receive a pass. The absolute basics of playing football and stuff you start to understand as a 12 year old, let alone as a highly paid professional. On top of that was the attitude from the whole team where they just look like they couldn't care less, despite being given a footballing lesson from a team in the division below.

I was in the Ted Mac yesterday and there was booing at various times throughout the game, especially during the second half. However, Kelly definitely got additional grief after the fourth goal and there were arguments between our supporters because of it. For me, although I was fuming with Kelly and his lazy attitude for that goal, it didn't seem right to just single him out, as the whole team deserved pelters for that embarrassing performance yesterday.

I have to disagree… Some of our fans expect our players to make every pass, score with every shot and complete every tackle and save every save… For me, we have one of the more negative fan bases out there… DC can give it a good go when it wants to but it can also be a very passive supporting crowd that quickly gets on the lads’ backs…

I’m also astounded that some of our fans genuinely believe the players don’t care about losing… I think you’re confusing not giving a sh*t with being so scared of making a mistake for fear of being jeered by our so called home ‘support’…

There's a cumulative frustration from the recent run as well. Five straight losses since coming back from the WC break, two Everton wins seem so long ago.

Expectations of a fresh start and return to the form that saw those two wins were quickly dashed .......... it doesn't really surprise me that the home crowd gets impatient.

I don't think a cup game is a good measure tbh. There's always going to be changed for cup games.
The game against Man Utd made it clear to me that Kelly can help the team much more at left back. I would have been fine with him not playing in the cup game. It could have been used to further validate whether he is a solid LB, but I wouldn't have put him in at CB save for an emergency.

The game against Man Utd made it clear to me that Kelly can help the team much more at left back. I would have been fine with him not playing in the cup game. It could have been used to further validate whether he is a solid LB, but I wouldn't have put him in at CB save for an emergency.

I think he's a very good left back but not that great going forward - so I think away at bigger sides he's a great option there. My impression on Saturday was that there was no intention to play him but Senesi was very poor in the first half and so he wanted to make changes. Obviously things didn't improve with Kelly's introduction though.

Kelly is an impressive young man and has great ability and potential. I don't believe he yet has the experience or skill to lead the team. He would benefit from playing alongside an experienced partner.

He is caught up in GON system, if that's the right word. Playing out from the back requires movement and there is precious little. It is an indictment of our play that a hoof upfield is the option that looks best. We have no one in the midfield looking to pick the ball up and switch the play. Cook was so good way back. So hard to come back after such a time out. He has shown glimpses of being back to his best form but no consistency in this. He would be excellent in a championship team. I can't see him being a part of any other PL team.

I hope that the players have been forthright with GON about how they feel playing this way.

Cahill was very beneficial for Kelly.

I rate Kelly and he has great quality - no doubt for me, he is our best defender. Unfortunately since injury doesn’t seem quite right.

The booing was the crowd putting in the same level of effort as the players and choosing the easy option.

Kelly was trying to pass but there was no midfield link.
His passing was much worse v Palace.

The booing was the crowd putting in the same level of effort as the players and choosing the easy option.

Kelly was trying to pass but there was no midfield link.
His passing was much worse v Palace.

Spot on Jim. This vocal minority jumping on a player's back deserve relegation.

They feel like they are entitled to express their opinion and to hell with the majority who think it's shitty behaviour. Trouble is someone else who feels like they are entitled to their opinion will end up expressing it by punching one of these people in the face.

I'm all for supporters self policing in this instance...

Interesting insight from Lingard:

---------
The attacking midfielder said he confided in the then-United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer about the abuse from the supporters and personal issues he was experiencing. He said Solskjaer "helped" during a difficult time in his career.

"To be abused like that tipped it," Lingard said. "I didn't want to be on the pitch, I didn't want to play."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64334984
----------

I think I'm right in saying he only has 18 months left on his deal. I wonder what his attitude is to extending now?

;