The death of a traditional chant

The lack of songs - and the lack of people singing the few songs we have - is starting to get embarrassing.
Yes and no.

At Anfield there were a great group of youngsters by me who gave it their all. They were non-stop all match. I suspect that, like me, they had gruff voices on Monday morning. Chapeau to them.

Having said that, the overall contribution from our support was pretty poor. The quietest I can recall for a long time. Which is a shame because for 20 minutes Anfield was pin-drop territory.

'You'll never take the south end'

Millwall auto windscreen semi final 84 when that particular chant fell flat on its face. Wrong chant at the wrong time at the wrong game. We won 2-1 but if my memory serves me right they equalised in the last minute, ruled offside? (can anyone else recall - something happened to upset them), massive pitch invasion, lino got lumped, they ran straight across the pitch into the south end. Best fire drill I've ever seen.
Oh yes. Remember it well. The lino had to be the bravest I've ever seen. Gave the offside right up close to the BBE with seated (not for long) Millwall fans squeezed into the main stand. Cue mayhem. Walking home across the bridge over the Wessex Way I waved an, ahem, friendly wave to one of the departing Millwall fans buses and got an enthusiastic response. My how I was grateful for that coach's reliability at that moment!

Last edited:
Yes and no.

At Anfield there were a great group of youngsters by me who gave it their all. They were non-stop all match. I suspect that, like me, they had gruff voices on Monday morning. Chapeau to them.

Having said that, the overall contribution from our support was pretty poor. The quietest I can recall for a long time. Which is a shame because for 20 minutes Anfield was pin-drop territory.

Away games always tend to be good value, in terms of singing.

Ted mac has been pretty much silent so far, whereas last few seasons there's always been an audible amount of chanting.

Hopefully just a bit rusty after the summer off, getting into gear for the new season.

Ted mac has been pretty much silent so far, whereas last few seasons there's always been an audible amount of chanting.

Blame the club. The Ted Mac developed a decent singing section over the years. People are now struggling to sit where they want to or used to. 19 pointers can't get in, the scramble for tickets means that unless you log in at 10am on the dot you deal with what's left.

BOTN in all its glory last night. Message to drummer - please don't over-ride it
In the games I went to last season (the vast majority being away ones) I always thought the chant started too soon. I'm more than happy to join in (we do it in the lounge for the live games) but when it starts at a game I'm always thinking we're not going to be taking the corner for at least 30 seconds. So I don't join in immediately. I suspect some people drop out before the ball is actually kicked.

I think it would be more impactful (louder and more intense) if we started 10 seconds before we anticipate the kick being taken. Or am I just too old? :)

Yes and no.

I thought our support at Anfield was really poor too which was a surprise given we were playing pretty well for much of it. I wondered whether it was partly due to the work being carried out that end of the ground which has raised the roof (I think) and seemed to affect the atmosphere

On the wider subject, if we want the (slowly) changing fan base to join in, leave out the f-words and c-words

Hmm, how about some alternative suggestions:

Go away Arsenal
Lino - You're a silly billy
The referee's not coming to my Birthday party

I've always seen Footy matches as a safe space for swearing tbh. The youngsters will be exposed to it at some point in their lives. It's pointless pretending it's not part of our culture. Nowadays it's mostly pantomime.

For me it's the disgusting chants like the Ryan Fraser one and anything homophobic or racist. Or even abuse directed at our own players. Just completely unnecessary.

I thought our support at Anfield was really poor too which was a surprise given we were playing pretty well for much of it. I wondered whether it was partly due to the work being carried out that end of the ground which has raised the roof (I think) and seemed to affect the atmosphere
No, it's because hardly anyone was singing. Plain and simple.

Yes and no.

Back in our youth, at the back of the South Stand or on many a forlorn away trip , we would sing all game.... good and bad chants....
These days I'm far more sedate and only occasionally join in.

Well obviously but it was worse than previous games I've been to at Anfield, even the 9-0 last season, which begs the question why?
It had nothing to do with the roof as you suggested. The reason was simply because people were not singing, the reason why they weren't singing is unknown. I tried multiple times to get stuff going; to no avail, apart from a few here and there. Others around me were trying, but nothing.

;