The Everlasting Bookshelf

I tend to listen to audiobooks these days. Have done for past 10 years or so now, as don't have time to prioritise reading books like before.

Hopefully my contributions don't contravene your guidelines @ErikthViking

View attachment 12036
That is an extraordinary read. The description of how they managed to get him out of Russia is worth reading just on its own, it was an incredible, scarcely believable plan, brilliantly and courageously executed.

Two very different suggestions I've enjoyed recently:

The Ape That Understood The Universe by Steve Stewart-Williams

1696868323674.jpeg

A very accessible read into a complex topic - human evolution physically, psychologically, and culturally. It would never have occurred to me that our cultures, languages, religions and politics could come about in the same way as our bodies and our behaviours did. It admits to being a little controversial in certain academic quarters.

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

1696868390025.jpeg
Needs little introduction. I recently chucked it in my bag last minute as a holiday read having not read it for several years, and had forgotten how bloody good it is. And despite being written in the early 90s it makes points that feel potentially relevant to today's innovations. Worth revisiting I'd say.

Two very different suggestions I've enjoyed recently:

The Ape That Understood The Universe by Steve Stewart-Williams

View attachment 12038

A very accessible read into a complex topic - human evolution physically, psychologically, and culturally. It would never have occurred to me that our cultures, languages, religions and politics could come about in the same way as our bodies and our behaviours did. It admits to being a little controversial in certain academic quarters.

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

View attachment 12039
Needs little introduction. I recently chucked it in my bag last minute as a holiday read having not read it for several years, and had forgotten how bloody good it is. And despite being written in the early 90s it makes points that feel potentially relevant to today's innovations. Worth revisiting I'd say.

Jurassic Park (original) is in my top 10 films of all time...watched it so many times I've lost count. It was my go hangover film I'm the 90s and 2000s, usually on in the bsckground, whilst playing fm/champ manager. Those were the days! :D

My daughter has watched it several times already too, and the rest of the series. She loves it.loves the v raptors too. Amount of times we've been on v raptor ride at paultons park and went on the incredible new v raptor full on white knuckle coaster at unniversal islands of adventure v raptor coaster in Orlando this/last summer. She's only 7, but 141cm so already qualifies for all the full on coasters..she's been going o coasters frequently since she was young, beginning with tame ones at adventure wonderland, Hurn from a very young age, so her tolerance /threshold is insane. She loves Blue the raptor from the recent films; and has several toys of it/them around my house! Blue turns out to be 'good' in the newer films, unlike the nasty/bad 'guy' image they had from the earlier ones.

How does the book measure up?

Last edited:
Jurassic Park (original) is in my top 10 films of all time...watched it so many times I've lost count. It was my go hangover film I'm the 90s and 2000s, usually on in the bsckground, whilst playing fm/champ manager. Those were the days! :D

My daughter has watched it several times already too, and the rest of the series. She loves it.loves the v raptors too. Amount of times we've been on v raptor ride at paultons park and went on the incredible new v raptor full on white knuckle coaster at unniversal islands of adventure v raptor coaster in Orlando this/last summer. She's only 7, but 141cm so already qualifies for all the full on coasters..she's been going o coasters frequently since she was young, beginning with tame ones at adventure wonderland, Hurn from a very young age, so her tolerance /threshold is insane. She loves Blue the raptor from the recent films; and has several toys of it/them around my house! Blue turns out to be 'good' in the newer films, unlike the nasty/bad 'guy' image they had from the earlier ones.

How does the book measure up?
Sounds like she's a proper little adventurer! :)

Impossible to compete with the wonder and excitement of seeing dinosaurs stomp across the movie screen with the original as a child, and I've watched them all as a big kid as well! But as an adult the book is better. It goes into more depth and has more background, as books tend to do.

Bob Mortimer's book "And Away".

Great read, good stories made better as I am about the same age as him so cultural references strike a chord.

Funny and emotional in equal measure.

Sorry: This is a Post : I'm not meant to be Posting.. 'Read Only' from now...indefinitely...probably for good.

...but couldn't resist this.

Book : Light over Liskeard ... by Louis de Bernieres.
( I'm meeting the author on 30th Oct in Liskeard Library.)

Last edited:
Been rereading ‘Bury my heart at Wounded Knee’ and have just started ‘Killers of the Flower Moon’..both excellent books..sometimes it’s hard to understand some people..heartbreaking

Another book from the Manchester/Bradford haul is this one:

View attachment 12026

Surprisingly, the battle itself only takes up a small part of the book, but it is a superb history book about the lead up to the battle and Henry V. I suppose the clue is the order in which,"The King, The Campaign and The Battle are listed on the cover.
I read this years ago (charity shop purchase from Oxfam in Kingston). A great read and your post has prompted me to read it again.

Been rereading ‘Bury my heart at Wounded Knee’ and have just started ‘Killers of the Flower Moon’..both excellent books..sometimes it’s hard to understand some people..heartbreaking
Send me the author’s please, I don’t use the internet often

Have you read The Trail Of Tears about the forced relocation of the Eastern Native Americans. Another heartbreaking read

Interesting how many people read a book more than once, something I struggle with. I can watch a film again and again.
As an English teacher I have no problem teaching the same texts year in year out, but can't do it for pleasure.

Novels (like films, like football matches) can carry the context of when you read it, what was happening in your life, and where you read it.
I'll chuck Lorna Doone in as my favourite novel, but only because of the when, what, where.

First Light by Geoffrey Wellum. An extremely young Spitfire Pilot in the Battle of Britain.
The interesting part for me was how he managed to get through the pilot
training in the Autumn of 1939 to take part in the Battle. I've read a lot of military books and this is one of my favourites. Highly recommended.

First Light by Geoffrey Wellum. An extremely young Spitfire Pilot in the Battle of Britain.
The interesting part for me was how he managed to get through the pilot
training in the Autumn of 1939 to take part in the Battle. I've read a lot of military books and this is one of my favourites. Highly recommended.

A good read Anything with Spits in does it for me May dig this out again

;