The fighting pride of Bournemouth Chris Billam Smith

Much as i like to see any local lad do well, £84 for the cheapest seats to see grown men punching each other is too much for me.

You can stand in the town centre on a Saturday night and watch it for nothing!

Having said that good luck to the lad

Much as i like to see any local lad do well, £84 for the cheapest seats to see grown men punching each other is too much for me.

You can stand in the town centre on a Saturday night and watch it for nothing!

Having said that good luck to the lad
There are three olympic medalists, a lad from Southampton who trains in Bournemouth that has something like 20 wins (19 of them KO's), 0 losses. There has never been this level of boxing in Bournemouth. There were tickets for 39 quid, they must have all gone. Mine was 60 (more than a days work), but I would have paid a bit more for a better seat had I been given the option. This sort of event is a bit of a 1-off/once in a lifetime. The fact that it's here means there won't be the expense of travel. Some people pay 200 quid to watch abba and the 'abatars" at the O2, Rod Stewart or a Take That concert, each to their own.
It's on sky sports anyway.

Last edited:
What about Freddie Mills? World Light-Heavyweight champion in 1948. http://www.boxinghistory.org.uk/records/51172-Freddie-Mills-Bournemouth.pdf
Ther was a very active boxing scene in Bournemouth at that time. Former Echo boxing correspondent Harry Legge wrote about it in his book "Penny a Punch" in 1981, a fascinating insight into a very different world if you can find a copy of it.

Great link that. I don't think Mills' fights in Bournemouth were at that level though we're they?

Saw a great documentary on him. What a life he led, and a death clouded in mystery and conspiracy.
Good docu.My money is on a 'mob killing ', the most logical explanation.
Used to train down his gym in Portland Road Winton.Even if you're not a fan of the sport , you've got to admire the hours they do in the gym .
After a couple of months training, the trainer put me in with a middleweight who'd just turned pro with the orders to just hit 'im.
For 2 rounds he just stood and danced in front of me with his hands down.I couldn't get near him , let alone hit 'I'm.
It only took 1 punch for my lights to go out .
Shortly afterwards I retired undefeated , no wins , no losses, no fights.:punch:

Used to train down his gym in Portland Road Winton.Even if you're not a fan of the sport , you've got to admire the hours they do in the gym .
After a couple of months training, the trainer put me in with a middleweight who'd just turned pro with the orders to just hit 'im.
For 2 rounds he just stood and danced in front of me with his hands down.I couldn't get near him , let alone hit 'I'm.
Shortly afterwards I retired undefeated , no wins , no losses, no fights.:punch:

Not that I'm comparing you to this mouthy idiot but your story about going up against a pro reminded me of this perfect illustration of someone who thinks he's hard compared to a pro.

It's widely believed that the Krays killed Freddie Mills. About a year or 2 ago someone was selling a very legitimate looking boxing trophy awarded to Freddie Mills for about 100 - 200 quid on ebay. I regret not bidding for it, it was quite big as well. I think someone (based in Scotland) might have had a treasure that they did not realize, they had a few other bits of boxing stuff, but nothing like this.

Last edited:
BIC have advertised start time of 5pm for the evening (8 fights in total). Does anyone have an idea of when the first fight will actually be? Can't think it would be 5pm.

;