The grapes are sour in Nottingham

I really don’t understand the Forest bitterness:

1. It was NOT a penalty, whichever way you look at it. The offside flag was up, rightly or wrongly, and the referee had blown his whistle before Surridge got the ball and Travers waved his hands at him. VAR MAY have agreed that he wasn’t offside but the referee had blown the whistle so he could not then award a penalty.

2. Forest fans seem aggrieved that we have finished EIGHT points ahead of them and state that if they had had a better start to the season. Well they might have done but they didn’t. It’s not AFCB’s fault so why the antagonism?

3. No team has a right to be in any league, you have to earn it. That means, in the Championship, you have to have more points than 22 other teams in the league to gain automatic promotion. Forest didn’t do that. They need to get over it.

:utc:
Well that's all very righteous and logical but these are Forest supporters.
They are fast coming up on the blind side of Watford supporters in my opinion. I think they're fantastic value and if they cock the play offs up it will only get better.

The owner was moaning about decisions costing the club promotion - how about looking in the mirror and asking why he kept Hughton on for 7 games after a poor end to the season too.

I couldn’t get why they thought we were frightened of playing them when the game was postponed. They had won just 1 of 3 league games before that having just sneaked a draw the previous game with a last second equaliser and followed up the next game after the postponement with a 0-0 draw at Preston . Sure we had injuries but had just beaten birmingham and an excellent comeback win at Blackpool.

Still, it’s funny that kieffer Moore scored the winner given he would have missed the original game!

The owner was moaning about decisions costing the club promotion - how about looking in the mirror and asking why he kept Hughton on for 7 games after a poor end to the season too.

I couldn’t get why they thought we were frightened of playing them when the game was postponed. They had won just 1 of 3 league games before that having just sneaked a draw the previous game with a last second equaliser and followed up the next game after the postponement with a 0-0 draw at Preston . Sure we had injuries but had just beaten birmingham and an excellent comeback win at Blackpool.

Still, it’s funny that kieffer Moore scored the winner given he would have missed the original game!
Was there first choice keeper suspended as well?

Over the last two days I watched the game again but from the view of the Sky cameras.

Sunday it was the first half which included the penalty shout, but it was already ruled out for offside.

But going back to the incident, Surridge was to the left of goal and not sure if he would have scored as two of our defenders were back covering.

Then Monday I watched our team and the commentators plus the two Sky pundits after the game say we dominated the second half and deserved the win and promotion, these people were neutrals.

If that game had finished in a draw, we needed a draw against Millwall to make sure of promotion, we went one better and won with nothing at stake.

Forest drew at Hull.

Some Forest fans themselves in comments made didn’t make a big thing re penalty shout.

They were just outplayed in the second half by a better team, end of story.

Last edited:
I can only echo what everyone else has said. I’m beginning to legitimately despise an entire club - and I couldn’t be happier :ROFLMAO:. For all it’s negatives, is there anything better than tribalism in football that has a bit of meat on the bones??

They’re like the reverse Brentford. I actually quite like Brentford as a club, they just have a tit for a manager. Forest have nothing going for them except their manager, who does seem both talented and a decent enough bloke.

Perhaps a Watford like 'rivalry' building here.

Tbf Numerous forest fans I spoke to after the game were pretty sound, saying we deserved it. Can't recall any of them moaning/being bitter about the outcome on the night.

Tends to be the way doesn't it. Social media seems to bring out certain views more, not reflected by fans you meet irl.

Florist bloke claiming the ten weeks between the postponement and the actual game gave us time to get people like Moore fit again. It could easily have gone the other way and some of our main players got injured. Arguing without a decent fact to back anything up makes people look stupid. o_O

Has anyone got a clip of this penalty decision? I saw it at HT under the stand and didn't think it was a pen at all.

I haven't seen a clip recently, but I remember at the time thinking that Surridge had slowed his run massively, with no intention of actually trying to score, and started going down before Travers lightly touched him. It was one of those that VAR would probably give, as "there was contact", but should never be a penalty in the spirit of the game, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I haven't seen a clip, but I remember at the time thinking that Surridge had slowed his run massively, with no intention of actually trying to score, and started going down before Travers lightly touched him. It was one of those that VAR would probably give, as "there was contact", but should never be a penalty under the spirit of the game, in my opinion.

Imo, VAR wouldn't overturn whichever way the decision went. If the ref gave it or not, either way it wouldn't be considered a clear and obvious error as you can see the merits for both ways.

It's a tactic as old as time. Build pressure on the officials for the play-offs by creating some BS story about how harshly they've been treated. Hoping it will be at the back of the officials' minds. Fergie did it all the time. Largely pointless given VAR for play-offs though.

There are some fan bases where the Twitter minority isn't representative of the broader fan base (I'd actually put Watford in that bracket), but having lived in Nottingham for 3 years I can confirm that the entitlement is real and they genuinely think they're a massive club and shouldn't be in the Championship.

I'm rooting for Luton but would rather see Sheffield United than Florist go up. Can you imagine the Forest reaction if they'd actually been hard done by against us like Sheffield United were (blatant penalty against Nat Phillips and battered us for large parts of the game).

I believe their owner is from Greece.

Probably you know where the expression came from, but if not.

Have you ever had sour grapes about something? If someone has sour grapes, they’re jealous of something or didn’t get something that they wanted.

This idiom from Greek mythology comes from Aesop’s fable “Fox and the Grapes.” In this fable, a fox sees some delicious-looking grapes hanging high up in a tree, and tries everything he can to get to them. He fails, however, gives up, and walks away, consoling himself (making himself feel better) by saying that the grapes would’ve been sour anyway.

For example:

• He has some real sour grapes because he didn’t get the promotion he wanted.
https://www.bespeaking.com/de/idioms-greek-mythology/

It was a blatant dive. The picture on the article even shows he's going down before contact ffs. Get over it, move on.

View attachment 7807
No way was it a penalty. Travers has got his right leg tucked under his body so he couldn't touch him with that. His right arm is nowhere near Surridge and Surridge is already going down. The video clips don't show anything other than Surridge brushing against Travers arm as he fell/dived down.
Something else to mention, Surridge was offside with the shot that hit the bar, but I suppose if that had gone in Forest would have turned down the goal in the name of fairness.
Love that clip of the winning pen that got against Hull, never a pen in a million years.

;