The Midfield 3

The Alchemist

UTC Legend
With it looking more likely we are going with a 4-3-3 this season with a CDM and 2 CM's, Who plays and where ?

With Surman vice captain, does he get a start ? Ake has probably not been brought in to sit on the bench and you would think Lewis Cook is in that bracket too.

Whoever ends up being the most forward thinking of the 3 will probably have the most crucial role in the side as they will be the one who must get up and create from central positions and probably provides runs behind the main striker.

It would be interesting to see if Cook and Arter could play together in there, on the face of it they're quite similar but it would be a tasty prospect to have both of their aggression in there.

Surman is the calm experienced head who keeps possession under pressure well, and Ake is the defensive shield, both very specific jobs. Cook and Arter might become the two interchangeable cogs in that machine.

Good news is we have better options than last season. Can't see how Macdonald or O'kane are even going to get on the bench, given the ones mentioned plus Gosling are ahead of them

I think Ake, Surman and Arter will be the starting three.

Surman is the metronome of the team, Ake will provide that pacey covering in the middle that we sometimes lack defensively and Arter will be pushing on, snapping further up the pitch and looking for shooting or dink pass opportunities.

At a guess, the first choice straight swaps would be Hyndman for Surman, Cook for Arter and then you have Gosling, O'Kane and Macca. I'd only expect that to last as long as players show form. With the options available in the middle of the park I think it might be quite a brutal selection process this year.

I think there's room for rotation. Surman played every minute of every game last season, and while that's a great achievement it's also a sign that there was no-one competing for his place.

I'd expect Ake, Surman and Arter to the be the first choice initially, with Cook as first choice change, then Gosling and the others as back up. But there's a good chance Cook will end up in the starting 11.

I personally don't think £10 million has been spent on one of the best young players in the country to sit on our bench. I think he came too us with a very good chance he will start but in place of who...? Wouldn't surprise me if Ake/Surman/Arter started the first few games though.

Glad I'm not Eddie!

Although not noticed by some of our fans, Surman makes our side tick, not seen the new additions yet, will when we start the real competitive football soon against United.

Eddie has good cover in most if not all positions now.

Just hope we can keep away from those horrendous injuries our side suffered last season.

Cook L has to make a big jump from being the main man in a mid table championship team to competing regularly against top international players. He looks like he has the ability and attitude to raise his game playing with better players.
Gosling had a steady season and seems more likely to get forward than surman or ake, a good problem for the manager.

Whoever the 3 are, finding the right balance is vital. In particular who will be responsible for pressing the ball and who will drop deep to protect the defence. Last season our defensive transitions weren't that great.

I'd start of with Aké, Surman and Arter. Surman's experience and intelligence could well be crucial in organising our midfield. At least until the 3 new boys have adjusted.

billythekid - 4/8/2016 12:32

Although not noticed by some of our fans, Surman makes our side tick, not seen the new additions yet, will when we start the real competitive football soon against United.

Eddie has good cover in most if not all positions now.

Just hope we can keep away from those horrendous injuries our side suffered last season.

Totally agree Billy - Surman makes the whole thing 'happen' and has to be a starter.

From what I've seen of Lewis Cook so far, I'd be astounded if he doesn't start.

As for the third member of a three man central midfield, that is going to be some hard decision to make for Eddie, but hopefully great news for the supporters.

Defense still worries me though.

If our defensive issues aren't sorted sharpish we'll find ourselves forced to play with 7 in midfield.

Despite all this talk about who might play in midfield, I can't stop thinking about Zlatan and Rooney versus our back line...

Ibrahimovic made his first Old Trafford appearance for Manchester United as captain Wayne Rooney's testimonial against Everton ended 0-0.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36970761

Smalling v Wilson/Afobe/King at the other end....

AFCB Lost in Brum - 4/8/2016 14:34

If our defensive issues aren't sorted sharpish we'll find ourselves forced to play with 7 in midfield.

Despite all this talk about who might play in midfield, I can't stop thinking about Zlatan and Rooney versus our back line...

It would be better to play Man U after Mourinho wears down mentally. I'm pretty nervous about his too.

Esquared1 - 4/8/2016 17:26

AFCB Lost in Brum - 4/8/2016 14:34

It would be better to play Man U after Mourinho wears down mentally. I'm pretty nervous about his too.

More worried about Rashford and Martial personally than Zlatan and Rooney. With those two, as big named and talented as they may be, they are painfully slow. Which makes them easier to defend against, IF you can organise and setup well. Restrict them space by crowding them, and being the egos they are Zlatan and Rooney will both go walkabout around the pitch looking for space to showcase themselves, which keeps them away from goal.

Martial and Rashford on the other hand, lightening quick as they are, know their job. They will cause us more problems and will be hard to stop (without fouls) once they get going.

Zlatan and Rooney will be looking at Little Bournemouth as the perfect chance to get their accounts opened for the season and will be putting pressure on to start up front together. I'm hoping Mourinho grants them that, and leaves Martial and Rashford on the bench.

One potential problem I see is that Surman, in my opinion, is best suited to the holding midfield position. I am not sure his style and one footedness suits being higher up the pitch where space and time are at more of a premium. Arter and Cook (Gosling too) are classic more attacking midfielders but I don't think Surman is. So if Ake is the best bet there I wouldn't play Surman at all. That would be very odd because he was one of our best players consistently last year. You could play two holding midfielders, of which he could be one, with another (Arter/Cook, Gosling) sat just behind the Centre Forward but not sure this is Eddies style.

Neil Dawson - 5/8/2016 10:18

One potential problem I see is that Surman, in my opinion, is best suited to the holding midfield position. I am not sure his style and one footedness suits being higher up the pitch where space and time are at more of a premium. Arter and Cook (Gosling too) are classic more attacking midfielders but I don't think Surman is. So if Ake is the best bet there I wouldn't play Surman at all. That would be very odd because he was one of our best players consistently last year. You could play two holding midfielders, of which he could be one, with another (Arter/Cook, Gosling) sat just behind the Centre Forward but not sure this is Eddies style.

The other option there Neil is to go 4-2-3-1 with Ake and Surman holding and Arter/Cook the more advanced central player.

If Eddie goes with a 4-2-3-1 (4-4-1-1) it's almost certain to involve Afobe or King playing behind Wilson. I actually think that is his preferred system and what we will see most of the season against the lesser sides.

Can't really see Arter in an advanced role as I think he's better in the heart beat of the side

JIMNNINA - 4/8/2016 16:02

Ibrahimovic made his first Old Trafford appearance for Manchester United as captain Wayne Rooney's testimonial against Everton ended 0-0.

Smalling is suspended for the match, so attack may well be our best form of defence!

rednblackexile - 5/8/2016 14:13

JIMNNINA - 4/8/2016 16:02

Smalling is suspended for the match, so attack may well be our best form of defence!

This is excellent news, no better time to play Manu U than the first game of the season before either side has time to gain chemistry too in my opinion.

Regarding the midfield 3 I can't really say since I haven't seen hardly any of Ake or Cook yet.

;