The Never Ending Jukebox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you like World music with a Cherries connection, Mike the ex kitman is often in Saxon Square on a Monday playing his Ukrainian harp in national costume. Always good for a chat : )

I'm an absolute sucker for songs in a foreign language.

Odd considering how much lyrics mean to my love of music.

btw Ca plan pour moi or pretty much anything by plastic Bertrand doesn't count. :grinning:
I grew up anglo (well, bi-lingual I suppose) in a mostly French part of Montreal, Aznavour, Gainsbourg, Hallyday - were always on somewhere. But they were France-french, so guys like Charlebois, Jean Pierre Ferland, Gilles Vigneault who were Quebecois, really had a huge impact in the 70s as they represented a "cultural sovereignty" that was the soundtrack of the separatist movement.
Plastic Bertrand's Ca Plane is actually used in a recent car ad on TV. Look up the English translation of the lyrics (after you've had a few drinks).

So, we combine Ken's fondness for foreign language songs with something from the great Billy Joel.

From Billy's biography ....

”It’s a song written in French — and I don’t even speak French,” says Joel. ”I love the sound of the language, though, so I wrote a song and got this guy to translate my lyrics. I tried to make them fit the song, but it [came out] absurd. I had had a huge hit with ‘Honesty’ in France, and I went to France and performed. Do you remember the movie The Producers, how after they do ‘Springtime for Hitler,’ the audience just sits there? Well, that’s what the French did after I performed that song. After the show I asked the promoter ‘What happened?’ And he said, ‘Well, they thought that you were singing in Polish.’ "

Status
Not open for further replies.

;