The new England kit

It’s just a bit of cloth. Once again, the crowd that’s so quick to throw out terms like “snowflake” are being exactly that.
The problem is people are so polarised now that if you think it's a cynical attempt to stir up controversy by poking the bear with a stick you get lumped in with the Bartons, Farages and Andersons. I doubt that there are many other countries that'd be happy with it. I wonder what the reaction would be in Scotland or Ireland if their teams trotted out with a, I don't know, red cross on a white background emblem on their shirts?
As for the FA they're probably hoping this will divert attention away from the price, particularly the children's ones, which as they attract no VAT are actually more expensive then the adults.

Football shirts are for playing football in. They are not fashion accessories and no grown adult should be wearing them because they think they look good. They do not.
My mother in law recently asked my wife for my shirt size and I had to very firmly make sure she knew I wouldn't wear an AFCB shirt under any circumstances. Thankfully it turned out it was for a t shirt with an "hilarious" slogan on the front, which I won't be wearing either.

Once, on holiday in Tunisia, another middle aged guest came down to breakfast on the first morning in a full Liverpool kit. I forget where he was from but it wasn't Liverpool.

Has it been made explicit anywhere what the "play" of colours are supposed to signify? Sorry if I've missed that.

If Nike or the FA want to use the shirt and flag to make a social or political gesture / point etc, it's kinda lost if they don't have the balls to stand by it and make clear what the point is.

Worth considering that the kit costs £85 - £120 and is likely produced in poor conditions in Asian or African based Nike factories.
Ridiculous and ripoff price for the England fans.

Thought our AFCB shirts were over priced, but this is just taking the p…s in these hard times.

It was always a bit strange to wave Union flags at England games as the flag contains the colours of Scotland and Ireland. It makes sense at the Olympics where athletes are competing for the UK. The name Team GB should really upset those from Northern Ireland.
Only the irish, Not those from the P/U/L community

Has it been made explicit anywhere what the "play" of colours are supposed to signify? Sorry if I've missed that.

If Nike or the FA want to use the shirt and flag to make a social or political gesture / point etc, it's kinda lost if they don't have the balls to stand by it and make clear what the point is.

Worth considering that the kit costs £85 - £120 and is likely produced in poor conditions in Asian or African based Nike factories.

Article from last year.

According to Dr Peter Rohlmann, a German sports marketing expert, the ‘basic’ cost of making a ‘typical’ £80 shirt is just £8 per unit, or 10 per cent of the sales price. That £8 includes the cost of materials and labour (usually in Asia) plus transportation.

If people don't like it then don't buy - over priced no doubt anyway ..

People will soon forget about the kit once the team starts playing I am sure.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak says the design of the St George's Cross on the English Football team kit should not be "messed with".

Earlier, the Culture Secretary Lucy Frazer had also joined the chorus of prominent voices taking issue with design.

The new shirt design features the cross of St George in navy, light blue and purple on the back of the collar.

BBC News understands there are no plans to change or recall the shirt.

Speaking to reporters, Mr Sunak said he "prefers the original" and the national flag is a "source of pride" and identity.

Politicians, as usual, showing how far behind the times they are by feeling compelled to respond to everything the options-are-like-arseholes having dickheads and bots on Twitter are saying.

Reactions: drd
Football shirts are for playing football in. They are not fashion accessories and no grown adult should be wearing them because they think they look good. They do not.
And running in!

Wore my AFCB top this weekend at the Torun Parkrun last Saturday and last year around Dublin.

Love seeing the odd weird glances, as it wasn't a big 6 club!

As regards the England top, Nike must be laughing getting the FA to agree to it. It's a farce.

The problem is people are so polarised now that if you think it's a cynical attempt to stir up controversy by poking the bear with a stick you get lumped in with the Bartons, Farages and Andersons. I doubt that there are many other countries that'd be happy with it. I wonder what the reaction would be in Scotland or Ireland if their teams trotted out with a, I don't know, red cross on a white background emblem on their shirts?
As for the FA they're probably hoping this will divert attention away from the price, particularly the children's ones, which as they attract no VAT are actually more expensive then the adults.

I’m not referring to anyone who thinks it’s cynical for those reasons. They want the shirt to sell, and I don’t doubt they’ll sell more with all this publicity. I agree that it’s a pretty much an exercise in “pot stirring”.

I’m talking about the other ones that are actually, genuinely, upset and calling it a “disgrace”. I just think it’s a bit pitiful tbh. They’re scrabbling over themselves to try and find a “woke” explanation as to why it’s changed; it’s a bit garish, but if there was a legitimate PR reason behind the pattern, they’d be signposting it directly.

The Scotland example is a bit of a false equivalency. It would be really weird if we had the Irish flag randomly plastered on our kit too. I’m sure there are loads of examples of flags being messed with for the aesthetic. The Brazil kit from last year did the exact same thing, and there’s a Scotland kit with a giant teal cross on the front from like 15 years ago too.

As @SlowDownDerek points out, this is a very British attitude it seems. Calling things woke is just the meta of today. It’s completely inconsequential at the end of the day, if you don’t like it then don’t buy it. It’s got the badge on it still, and kits haven’t had the cross on it in quite a long time.

Last edited:
The Football Association has defended the new England shirt despite a backlash after Nike changed the colour of the St George's Cross.

It is understood the governing body has no intention of withdrawing the controversial kit.

Embarrassing tbh. But no surprise.

Mind you, guess it means seeing less overweight middle aged, sunburnt men strutting around in an England shirt.

Expect they'll still sell as many units to well-healed, middle class, vegan, Guardian readers and their kids, who'll wear it with pride.

Can't wait to see what the armed forces 24/25 season uniform looks like...

;