The Newcastle Takeover

But we had a top six championship budget that year, so we were able to afford better players than around 3/4 of the division. How many goals do supporters score a season? At the end of the day it all comes down to money, more money = better players. Tottenham have the supporter base and infrastructure to rival Man City, I wonder why they are so far behind them….
Not saying it wasn’t a huge achievement btw, just that it wasn’t the fairytale dome make it out to be.

You might be right about league one but in the championship the wages went on existing players and very few signings. There were a disproportionately high number of free signing hence the higher wages of those players.

Non of that suggests that Howe was working with a top six squad.

Reactions: DJ
The wage bill was high to keep the squad intact and prevent them leaving rather than signing loads of expensive players. Not really a reflection of Howe's managerial skills at all.

True. Back in the day it was frustrating losing players to the first Championship club to offer us £250,000.

League two was two miracles. Staying up and going up. League one he didn’t sign many of those players, probably wouldn’t have signed a lot of them and got them from 21st to 2nd.

He got us up to second in League One before he left, remember. Who's to say where we'd have finished if the bright lights of Burnley hadn't tempted him?

But we had a top six championship budget that year, so we were able to afford better players than around 3/4 of the division.

What...mostly League 1 players who had just made it into the championship?

I dont understand this argument. Francis, Cook, Elphick, Daniels, Arter, Pugh, Pitman...had all been plying League 1 or 2 the previous couple of season.

But yeah....he totally overspent on top championship players. Meanwhile we had our top striker poached off us for £3m so we replaced him for the same money for a league 1 striker. this Howe guy was rolling in it. How could he not get a team promoted to the Prem....

Lazy, soundbite.

Biggest purchase Jefferson Lerma. Hardly a miss.

Next up Nathan Ake, doubled his value when he left for Manchester City.

Next, Solanke £19m is going to look a bit of a bargain if his goals fire us to £100m in Premier League tv revenue.

Ibe - £15m after selling Matt Ritchie for £12m, without being Nostradamus I’m not sure how at the time or signing, you wouldn’t think that was worth a net punt of £3m…but yes as repeated ad infinitum, a miss.

Billing - £15m, see Solanke.

Danjuma - Sold for a €10 million profit despite buying with a Premier League premium and selling in the second tier.

Then in the mix, Lloyd Kelly who is likely to be an England centre back in the future despite all the negative comments he’s had. £10m.

Afobe, Mings, Mousset all sold at a profit of excess of £30m.
Moving the goal posts by stating the point of signing players at the top end of the transfer budget was all about resale value.

The point of the signings was to stay in the PL surely. Which of them consistently turned in match winning performances?

Big spending clubs will expect quick returns on the field for their spend.

Obviously Brad Smith has not been selected again.....

Personally, and I know it’s not the majority rule, I feel very sorry for Ryan. He is clearly troubled, a very difficult bloke. In my experience this will make his life tougher to live than mine or yours (unless you have similar issues of course). He was a big part of why we stayed up so long then turned sour. He has to live with that sourness, we can choose not to.

His agent should probably try and stop him giving interviews because he does seem to have a few "Did I really say that out loud?" moments.

Moving the goal posts by stating the point of signing players at the top end of the transfer budget was all about resale value.

The point of the signings was to stay in the PL surely. Which of them consistently turned in match winning performances?

Big spending clubs will expect quick returns on the field for their spend.

Obviously Brad Smith has not been selected again.....

Moving the goalposts to an entirely different continent if Brad Smith qualifies as one of your “big signings”.

Their average is 1,000 more than ours under Quinn in that season. 5,200 to 4,200.

We had this game against Morecambe on a Tuesday that was the low point, which I suppose is 'half' Hartlepool's highest of 5,800 if you're working with Neil's selective evidence gathering and penchant for comparing apples and pears for the sake of proving his point.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_3/7741716.stm

I used to pity your wife but I've recently come to the conclusion that you're actually Niel Dawnson's wife.

True. Back in the day it was frustrating losing players to the first Championship club to offer us £250,000.

He got us up to second in League One before he left, remember. Who's to say where we'd have finished if the bright lights of Burnley hadn't tempted him?

Yeah it's hard to imagine the last 8 years or so would have been anywhere near as successful, even with demins involvement.

Hartlepool knocking on six k for quite a few games and am sure we were getting into the threes under Quinn but may be wrong. They are getting considerably more now than we were then was my point but should have known to be more precise for this forum ;)

People outside this club particularly further North think we are like a Portsmouth or Plymouth…. We are not. That’s what makes the achievement so special.
I don't know how you can say that for sure now, as we haven't been able to increase our fan base and it's sure to have had an impact on our away supporter numbers. We have according to the club sold out every league game since 2015.

Moving the goalposts to an entirely different continent if Brad Smith qualifies as one of your “big signings”.
Big enough chunk of the transfer and salary budget to merit a mention surely.

Just an example of a manager being familiar with low profile rather than high profile recruitment. Defoe was another wrong player at the wrong time who seems to have slipped under the radar.

Just an example of a manager being familiar with low profile rather than high profile recruitment. Defoe was another wrong player at the wrong time who seems to have slipped under the radar.

Well if Brad Smith qualifies as a big transfer then so does Callum Wilson, Lewis Cook, David Brooks…

If Jermain Defoe’s free transfer counts then I guess so does the £4k on Harry Arter…

I dont understand this argument. Francis, Cook, Elphick, Daniels, Arter, Pugh, Pitman...had all been plying League 1 or 2 the previous couple of season.

But yeah....he totally overspent on top championship players. Meanwhile we had our top striker poached off us for £3m so we replaced him for the same money for a league 1 striker. this Howe guy was rolling in it. How could he not get a team promoted to the Prem....
Calm down, I’m just stating a fact. Our budget was top six in the league that year.

You still upset about him turning Celtic down because they weren't good enough for him?

The Defoe signing wasn't at Eddie's request. Eddie hardly ever played him .

He was given a budget that allowed us to retain our top players in the main, allowing us to build a very good squad for that level. Never said he was given bucket loads to spend, just that he was given a top six budget to work with, a very impressive achievement to get promoted but not a fairytale. That’s all.

He was given a budget that allowed us to retain our top players in the main, allowing us to build a very good squad for that level. Never said he was given bucket loads to spend, just that he was given a top six budget to work with, a very impressive achievement to get promoted but not a fairytale. That’s all.
Lots of clubs are/were given "top six budgets", its what they do with it that counts.

Newcastle under the Saudis is a terrible match for the squeaky clean Howe. They are destined to be the most disliked club in the country and they have a shockingly poor squad, destined for relegation. Fans will turn on him. He will hate it.

All too much for Howe to handle. He'll be gone before the start of next season.

Newcastle under the Saudis is a terrible match for the squeaky clean Howe. They are destined to be the most disliked club in the country and they have a shockingly poor squad, destined for relegation. Fans will turn on him. He will hate it.

All too much for Howe to handle. He'll be gone before the start of next season.

The logic here is all over the place. Newcastle fans are going to turn on him because his image doesn't match their ownership?

;