The not best thread.

AlGard

UTC Legend
3 games that stick out for being a right miserable day out. (Home or away)

1. Going to Burnley on a boxing day to arrive at the ground and the ref coming on the bus with apologies to say he had just called the game off.
We shot off to Preston and their plastic pitch to see them draw 2-2 with Exeter. Good quality coach, Rob Trent had the TV fall on him.

2. Losing 2-0 at Notts County which just about relegated us in 2002. Depressing day all round, The Queen Mum popped her clogs that day. God bless the gin swilling pensioner.

3. 9-0 defeat at Lincoln, Dec 82. Just stood there cold and stunned as we were like Bambi on ice at the back. We gave up at 3-0, and they just kept coming. Then the train broke down on the way back to Rosyth where I was stationed. 1am in the morning. Went to the phone box to ring a taxi and it was vandalised. A 6 mile walk back to the base in snow. About 3-30 am I got to my bed.

Wrexham away when we were relegated

A match at Gillingham (can't remember when) when we lost and it snowed

1-0 defeat at Wrexham in 82 or 83, no fun whatsoever

I'd have gone for Norwich in the first prem season, but it seems churlish to pick any of the current games as right miserable given where we are.

Lincoln, looking back, was almost funny after the first few went in, so I wouldn't include it in this list

Getting beat by Pompey 5-1 in FA cup.....also 4-0 defeat in league cup by Torquay...
I mean Torquay for gawds sake

...0-5 at Stockport County on a snowy Friday night...we were awful that day..

..Wrexham away when we got relegated..Carl Fletcher sent off, horrible!

...Carlisle away when we got relegated...

Losing to Barnet 2-0 at home at the nadir of Quinn. A couple of farcical goals too, the ball trickling towards the line with Ryan Garry running after it, only to end up in the net with the ball when attempting to clear it.

Huddersfield away in the playoffs. We were cheated out of the win, pure and simple. I was fuming for months. Still cant stand Kilbane :100: :120: :29: :guns:

Druss_the_Legend - 28/6/2017 16:13

Huddersfield away in the playoffs. We were cheated out of the win, pure and simple. I was fuming for months. Still cant stand Kilbane :100: :120: :29: :guns:

Quite agree Druss, except I'm still fuming. I shout and swear at Kilbane every time he appears on TV, especially as he comes over as such a nice man. Mrs TnP cannot understand why after all these years I still have such a grudge.

Who was that bleeding ref who was quite happy to be pushed in the chest?

You had to ruin it Al ;-)

0-6 away to Northampton 1976. From my first game 5 years earlier we'd plummeted, but I still was hooked.

That Burnley game you mentioned! I believe some went to watch Liverpool but we 'kept it real' by watching Preston on, er, their plastic pitch.

3-3 at Reading, when we were 3-1 up at half-time. Defoe first spell with us.

3-0 down after 20 mins to the seaweeds in a monsoon on uncovered scaffolding at Withdean (early 2000's ?)

Relegation at Wrexham - a truly horrible day

Leeds, Dean Court, 1990 - nothing more to say

I saw 3 away games in a row in 82-83.

1- 5 Newport County

0-9 Lincoln City

0-5 Orient.

Of those 3 the Orient performance was the worst as they only just avoided relegation whereas Lincoln were half decent

And people bloody moan cos we didn't hold out for a win against Arsenal !!!!!!!

Wrexham away when we got relegated.

Lincoln away when we were 3-1 up with 5 minutes to go, and David button drops 2 shots and they score from both

And it's a toss up between Steve claridges "1000th" game which we were ensured wasn't a gimmick game, but we lost 4 nil at home to port vale, and he just ambled around the pitch or Carlisle away when we got relegated.

RobTrent - 28/6/2017 17:04

You had to ruin it Al ;-)

0-6 away to Northampton 1976. From my first game 5 years earlier we'd plummeted, but I still was hooked.

That Burnley game you mentioned! I believe some went to watch Liverpool but we 'kept it real' by watching Preston on, er, their plastic pitch.

3-3 at Reading, when we were 3-1 up at half-time. Defoe first spell with us.

That 0-6 at Northampton was the half time score as well. Thankfully Northampton felt sorry for us and eased off in the second half. :yikes:

2 away cup defeats against non league sides vs Accrington and Blyth were really low points given I had to be at work for 9am next day despite hardly any sleep.
In the league, I remember a 5-0 drubbing pre Xmas at Grimsby when Harry was in charge when the lack of effort on a bitingly cold winters day in Grimsby was embarrassing.

The first one that comes to mind is Brentford away I think on Boxing Day in the Quinn 'era' I just couldn't see anything but relegation and terrible game after terrible game. Luckily they sacked him and put Howe in. Having said that the 4-0 spanking at home to Rochdale the following season was another one that pissed me off for weeks on end.

Ipswich away lost 3-1 in the 2nd division. Played in a monsoon and got mugged on the way home from the station in Cambridge where Was at the time

The 0-0 home draw v Wrexham [I think] when Mel was manager and we missed out on play-offs last game of the season

Possibly the Millwall cup loss last season. We were so astonishingly pooe and disinterested. I was fuming for days

TednPhil Neil Swawbrick was the ref who was intimidated by Kilbane. Just dug out the dvd and one B Afobe was in the Huddersfield squad. Pictures of our fans going in featured Paul 44.

Tough old night but their fans applauded our coaches as we left.

Cambridge away - The day England best Germany 5-1. We lost two nil i think, Kitson double? We were dreadful and then sat on the motorway listening to England thump Germany, I really questioned my club before country commitment that day.

Oxford away on Boxing day, beat 3-0 and Marcus Browning sent off for a ridiculous second yellow after about 20 minutes, the only saving grace was the short journey home.

And the double header of Brentford boxing day followed by Barnet at home. Brentford was really bad, No one looked interested during the warm up let alone during the game and Barnet was the low ebb for the club, the only thing that saved a miserable Christmas was the sacking Quinn on new years eve, i remember my massive joy at the news, a clear indication of how bad things had got, But obviously no clue as to what was to come.

Barnet 0-2. Enough said.

I remember a home game with Rotherham towards the end of Pulis' second season in charge. worst game I've ever seen. I dont think either side had a shot on target.

A 0-1 home defeat to Wycombe the season we went down under SOD. Lost to a Shaun Maher OG, Wanderers never even had a shot on target.

;