The not best thread.

2004 home to Tranmere.

I picked this game in which to invite some friends along to see a match to watch the feast of top quality SOD passing football we were serving up in those days. I think there were six of us.

We lose 5-1 and the 1 was an own goal.

I forget when it was and cannot find a review of the match, but

Home to mk dons (I think) in the auto windscreen cup.

I'm in the queue for tickets which was taking ages, the game kicks off and we're one down.

When I get to the front we're two down, so do I go home at this point? No, I buy a ticket anyway.

It was at this point I realised I had a problem.

One shouldn't speak ill of the dead but I remember a Benson game at home that was pretty dire. Couldn't hear the crowd only Benson.

All those last game of season, win to make the play offs in which we continually failed.

Reading away stood out with their last minute equaliser and was it Wrexham that dire 0 0?

Oh yes, and whilst I remember, bleeding golden ruddy goals.

Dagenham away, lost 1-0. No tubes, had to get Taxi - crap match, pissed down after too.

5-0 at Stockport. Hailstorm..floodlight failure..missed last train home, had to make my own way to my mates house in Manchester.

No mentions for that 4-1 loss to Northampton under Bond, Friday night near Christmas about 10 years ago. Worst performance I have ever seen from an afcb team. Truly clueless.

Other matches have been bad (like the 2-0 loss to Notts Co) but encompassed in great weekend lash ups.

Away against Barrow, don't remember the result. Just wanted to get in the car and head south again.
Just looked it up. 02/01/71 Div 4 won 2-1. :grin:

Jim_AFCB - 29/6/2017 09:55

A 0-1 home defeat to Wycombe the season we went down under SOD. Lost to a Shaun Maher OG, Wanderers never even had a shot on target.

Colchester it was, I believe.

Saw most of the recent ones, including Northampton friday night, Brentford boxing day '08/09, Wrexham, Carlisle away.

Tranmere at home (1-5) was particularly horrendous but nothing compared to that 0-2 v Barnet which luckily led to Quinn's departure.

Just to add something different to the mix, Rotherham away in Jan '09 was quite bad. Awful weather, awful place, and an awful game. Lost 1-0. Big crash on the M1 on the way back.

northstandmark - 28/6/2017 16:05

Losing to Barnet 2-0 at home at the nadir of Quinn. A couple of farcical goals too, the ball trickling towards the line with Ryan Garry running after it, only to end up in the net with the ball when attempting to clear it.

This!

Leaving depressed thinking that we were definitely going out of the football League!

HamworthyCherries - 29/6/2017 15:45

Jim_AFCB - 29/6/2017 09:55

A 0-1 home defeat to Wycombe the season we went down under SOD. Lost to a Shaun Maher OG, Wanderers never even had a shot on target.

Colchester it was, I believe.

Saw most of the recent ones, including Northampton friday night, Brentford boxing day '08/09, Wrexham, Carlisle away.

Tranmere at home (1-5) was particularly horrendous but nothing compared to that 0-2 v Barnet which luckily led to Quinn's departure.

Just to add something different to the mix, Rotherham away in Jan '09 was quite bad. Awful weather, awful place, and an awful game. Lost 1-0. Big crash on the M1 on the way back.

You're right, it was Colchester - looked it up. Wycombe (1-2) was a few games before that, and I came away from that thinking it was a very damaging defeat.

THat 1-5 Tranmere game was strange - I didn't think we were *that* bad as a whole, but everything the Trannies hit went in.

northstandmark - 28/6/2017 16:05

Losing to Barnet 2-0 at home at the nadir of Quinn. A couple of farcical goals too, the ball trickling towards the line with Ryan Garry running after it, only to end up in the net with the ball when attempting to clear it.

Top of my list, without question.

I can still remember how I felt walking away from that game and hope I never forget it.

Makes everything that's happened since just that bit more incredible.

Close second has to be Corfe Red and me spending too long in the pub, thus blowing 18 quid on a taxi to arrive just in time to see the first goal.........................at Millwall last season. :grin:

tedisking - 28/6/2017 15:52

Getting beat by Pompey 5-1 in FA cup.....also 4-0 defeat in league cup by Torquay...
I mean Torquay for gawds sake

Blimey. I remember that Pompey game. I was in at the front in a pen along the touch line rather than with the masses behind the goal. My head was at pitch level. A truly awful view of a shocking game....

Losing 3-1 at Rotherham, midweek, freezing cold, in the pissing rain. I think we had to play in shorts borrowed from Rotherham because of some kit mix up. I left before the end and missed our goal.

On a happier note, I'm fairly sure Defoe played for us that night....

Worst feeling at a game was a 0-4 defeat against Wimbledon at the old Plough Lane - midweek in late 70's, dreadful performance and got absolutely soaked as it pissed down all evening. Was on a course in London and had an exam next morning and would probably have spent my evening better by staying in and studying.

Worst feeling after a game was after the 0-2 home to Barnet at Xmas time just before the EH turn around. Seriously questioned why I bothered after that game and whether it was worth the trouble of going again - but of course it's in the blood so was back for the next home game and we all know what has happened since.

;