The right back situation

Smith left out today. Big mistake and we see what’s happens. Have been pro Gaz up to now but this was a criminal error.

The crime of the day was Lewis Cook being played.

He offers nothing whatsoever.

Gary was 'trying a few things out'

None of them worked.

I like Gary and he's probably as pissed off as everyone, but today showed we probably need 4 or 5 new faces.

Smith left out today. Big mistake and we see what’s happens. Have been pro Gaz up to now but this was a criminal error.
Yeh okay, I was never advocating Mepham playing at right back over him. I don’t think Smith has the legs for this level anymore, but similarly, I’d prefer for him to play at right back than Kieffer Moore.

Summer we need some major overhauling:

x 2 RIght Backs
x 1 Centre Back
x 2 Left Backs
x 1 Right Winger
x 1 Defensive Midfielder
x 1 Creative attacking Midfielder
x 2 Strikers

could do with moving on:
Smith
Stacey
Cook
Moore
Mepham
Brooks
Senesi
Randolph
Stanislas
Lowe
Dembele

so Bill and Gary sit down and sort it out over the next few weeks please!

x 2 RIght Backs
x 1 Centre Back
x 2 Left Backs
x 1 Right Winger
x 1 Defensive Midfielder
x 2 Strikers

could do with moving on:
Smith
Stacey
Cook
Moore
Mepham
Brooks
Senesi
Randolph
Stanislas
Lowe
Dembele

Smith - 1 more season
Stacey - To Luton if they're promoted - and will probably becoming amazing all of a sudden.
Cook - Maybe a loan option to a promoted side?
Moore - Again a promoted side may take a punt on him or a top championship side?
Mepham will stay
Brooks - needs game time and a top championship side maybe best for this for a 6 month loan period. Get his confidence back.
Senesi will remain as a back up defender along with Mepham.
Randolph - Gone
Stanislas - Gone
Lowe - Gone
Dembele - Gone
Stephens - Back to Southampton
Lerma - Back to Spain
Fredericks - Gone

We need a consistent back 4 to start with.
I have said this so many times before can we spend some money on players who have premier league experience.

There's no way we're bringing in ten players.

There's no way we're going to dump one of the few old PL heads we've got in the squad like Smith.

There's no way we're going to get rid of Senesi.

There's no way we're going to spend so long getting Brooks back and then loan him out just when a full preseason should make him an integral player.

There's no way we're going to dump one of the few old PL heads we've got in the squad like Smith.

There's no way we're going to spend so long getting Brooks back and then loan him out just when a full preseason should make him an integral player.
We don’t need ten. But I’d say we do need a good five quality additions and to clear out quite a few of the fringe players.

Re Brooks, I actually think a year long championship loan with a recall clause is the best for all parties. I think he needs to experience playing regular football again on a consistent basis, I don’t think he’s going to get that here right now with the demands of the PL. Not sure it will do him a lot of good just having ten minutes here and there.

We also gave Randolph a long contract didn’t we? Knowing he would be third choice, so I don’t see a scenario where he leaves either.

Reactions: Mdl

I love the idea of Brooks coming back, but have huge concerns about his pace any more. Presumably they measure these things before putting him on the bench and introducing him, but we’ve yet to see it. Hope they and he surprise us

We don’t need ten. But I’d say we do need a good five quality additions and to clear out quite a few of the fringe players.

Re Brooks, I actually think a year long championship loan with a recall clause is the best for all parties. I think he needs to experience playing regular football again on a consistent basis, I don’t think he’s going to get that here right now with the demands of the PL. Not sure it will do him a lot of good just having ten minutes here and there.
Don't agree about Brooks. He needs familiarity whilst he is recovering. Farming him out to new surroundings, teammates and more importantly medical staff who haven't been on his journey would probably have an adverse effect on him.
The most important thing David needs to get back to his best form is the support of everyone at the club.

I love the idea of Brooks coming back, but have huge concerns about his pace any more. Presumably they measure these things before putting him on the bench and introducing him, but we’ve yet to see it. Hope they and he surprise us
Brooks was never a quick player. He was and I assume still is a clever and tricky player.At his best he is an upgrade on Pugh.

To get regular game time for me we should concentrate on making him one of the attacking central midfield players as we have to have pace in the front three.

We learnt yesterday (although we’ve learned it before just GON keeps forgetting) that when you play a forward line with no pace in this league you don’t get out your half. Our one chance in the first half of getting out our half was the long ball to Solanke (Dango being tied up as Mepham didn’t attack). Once we dropped Solanke deep and put Moore up front and Brooks arriving we didn’t get out of our half at alll really.

Think we need to take off our rose tinted glasses a bit…from what I have seen our defence needs total overhaul right across the back four…and when Jeff goes we will need an enforcer to replace him.
Yes Brooks may well come back as the player he was but the PL is unforgiving and not sure we will have the luxury of that…
We must kick on and not risk another big relegation fight…Palace signed a few good young prospects from the EFL and Olise and Eze are showing energy and pace, without Tavernier we lack that and Dongo and Anthony are still raw talents IMO.. but we can look forward to seeing them shine in the future I’m sure.
Lavia from Stains and Harrison from Lids would be good additions

We undoubtedly need a new striker too imo, one who can actually score goals at least semi consistently at this level. Solanke still has a part to play, but we need a more reliable goal threat.

x 2 RIght Backs
x 1 Centre Back
x 2 Left Backs
x 1 Right Winger
x 1 Defensive Midfielder
x 2 Strikers

could do with moving on:
Smith
Stacey
Cook
Moore
Mepham
Brooks
Senesi
Randolph
Stanislas
Lowe
Dembele

Senesi, Brooks, Cook and Mepham….?!

Given we prefer to crowbar various player in rather than play Stacey, it seems obvious Stacey will leave.

A right back or wing back signing is a no brainer.

In terms of strikers I’d like to see us not mess around with some relatively unknown young striker and sign an experienced goal scorer. Say for instance a Gykores from Coventry who has consistently banged them in in the championship, or someone like Ings, Antonio or maybe Ineanacho from Leicester. The real left wing option is seeing about bringing Wilson back. There are a lot of talks about them spending big in the summer and he may see game time limited next season so a decent fee and wage offer could attract him back although it’s unlikely I admit

;