The view from over there v Bristol City

Does anyone think that the parachute payments are distorting the Championship? I think it’s a fair point. Still loving it though!
All that infrastructure they have hasn't been paid for with parachute payments. I reckon they are in debt to their owner for a pretty penny. Fans often forget what they have, and look at other clubs for excuses. Brighton are another example of that.

Does anyone think that the parachute payments are distorting the Championship? I think it’s a fair point. Still loving it though!
Absolutely 100%. It is easy for us not to discuss it as we are one of the teams benefiting from it but imo: the integrity of the competition > our individual success. The thing that made the championship the best league in the world was that even little old Bournemouth who were in league one only a year ago could go on to win the title. With the financial struggles posed by COVID coupled with the huge parachute payments, this is just not possible anymore. The gap in quality between the parachute teams and the rest of the league is enormous, over the course of the season you will see a runaway top four emerging, being used and the three relegated teams from last year. The parachute payments are ruining the league as a spectacle, and it is becoming nearly as predictable as the premiere league. This absolutely is not discussed enough. We should not just turn a blind eye to it as it benefits us right now, imagine how it would feel to be one of the other twenty teams, without a realistic chance to compete for a top two spot over the course of the season.

Absolutely 100%. It is easy for us not to discuss it as we are one of the teams benefiting from it but imo: the integrity of the competition > our individual success. The thing that made the championship the best league in the world was that even little old Bournemouth who were in league one only a year ago could go on to win the title. With the financial struggles posed by COVID coupled with the huge parachute payments, this is just not possible anymore. The gap in quality between the parachute teams and the rest of the league is enormous, over the course of the season you will see a runaway top four emerging, being used and the three relegated teams from last year. The parachute payments are ruining the league as a spectacle, and it is becoming nearly as predictable as the premiere league. This absolutely is not discussed enough. We should not just turn a blind eye to it as it benefits us right now, imagine how it would feel to be one of the other twenty teams, without a realistic chance to compete for a top two spot over the course of the season.
Nonsense. Another team will win the Championship like we did without any parachute payments. Brentford got up last season without them and Leeds won the league the year before. Sheffield Utd 2018/19 and Wolves won the league the year before that.

Nonsense. Another team will win the Championship like we did without any parachute payments. Brentford got up last season without them and Leeds won the league the year before. Sheffield Utd 2018/19 and Wolves won the league the year before that.
It’s really not nonsense. Last year the top two were both parachute teams. This year the top two will both be parachute teams. I never said it wasn’t possible to get up through the play offs without them. There will be very rare exceptions, Wolves had the help of a super agent who enabled them to sign champions league quality players. Leeds were able to recruit a world class coach to get them there. Unfortunately unless the parachute teams are horrifically mismanaged then they will always take the top two spots. It’s just not a level playing field.

It’s really not nonsense. Last year the top two were both parachute teams. This year the top two will both be parachute teams. I never said it wasn’t possible to get up through the play offs without them. There will be very rare exceptions, Wolves had the help of a super agent who enabled them to sign champions league quality players. Leeds were able to recruit a world class coach to get them there. Unfortunately unless the parachute teams are horrifically mismanaged then they will always take the top two spots. It’s just not a level playing field.
I disagree. You look back over recent seasons and a team has got up without parachute payments.

You're convinced that WBA and Fulham have the top two spots in the bag, we will see.

Of course they do but no more so than the FFP rules....... you'll find that the teams screaming the loudest about parachute money are the so called bigger Championship clubs who think that they should be the only ones allowed to spend any money.

i think parachute payments are a huge difference during covid given EFL club finances are so stretched. Plenty of clubs with parachute payments struggled before covid

Bristol City players knew they wer'nt up to it....to beating the top team..so they switched off..it happens with today's less than professional footballers.. because of their 'contracts'. . they know that their huge
salaries are guaranteed and enough for their current and to some degree future lifestyles..so they pick and choose games to perform in ..and conserve energy. .then they put in a show/ shift here and there to justify their inclusion overall... anyone that. can't see that is blinkered...we've had the cases of Fraser and King in our own backyard.

I disagree. You look back over recent seasons and a team has got up without parachute payments.

You're convinced that WBA and Fulham have the top two spots in the bag, we will see.
I do strongly believe that they will be the top two, can’t be certain but would be surprised if not. What I am certain of is that the top two will comprise two of the four parachute teams in the league, if that I have no doubt whatsoever.

The parachute payment issue has been exacerbated by COVID but the logic is clear. I don’t remember being opposed to them when we were promoted to the Championship in 2013.

The issue that needs to be addressed (but won’t be) is the huge disparity between the Premier League and EFL; parachute payments are a symptom of that.

Are Bristol City a big club or something? I’ve never thought of them as one but some of their fans seem to think they are?

In my 30 years following football they’ve been around the same level as us and we have a fairly decent record against them. I generally dislike debates around the size of clubs as it doesn’t really mean anything but I do find it funny when fans of clubs that have achieved very little are dismissive of our size.

We know what we are and while we may be small, tinpot even, we have a history of playing good football and one of the best football stories of recent times. Certainly wouldn’t swap with Bristol City.

Yes I do.
Last season the relegated triumvirate nearly all got promoted straight back up, only we let the side down but we had lost our “messiah” and played the season with two different managers. We were in turmoil but still made the playoffs and had a genuine chance of promotion.

This season we have stabilised the situation and look like genuine candidates for automatic promotion. If we are joined by one or more of West Brom and Fulham then that merely adds fuel to the fire IMO.

I think parachute payments may indeed be starting to skew the competitiveness of the Championship.

Let’s see how this season pans out but if it is anything like last season then you’d have the say that a trend is emerging.

The premier league has thrown up some suprises. How about the £22 million squad Leicester won it with? Same in the championship? Brentford last season? It’s the most competitive league in the world. Look at some of Fulham, Sheff Utd’s results so far. The table isn’t accurate at this stage but genuinely anyone can beat anyon and has to be one of the most competitive leagues in the world. Peterborough matched us over 90 mins as one example. What’s the value of their squad v ours?

Bristol City players knew they wer'nt up to it....to beating the top team..so they switched off..it happens with today's less than professional footballers.. because of their 'contracts'. . they know that their huge
salaries are guaranteed and enough for their current and to some degree future lifestyles..so they pick and choose games to perform in ..and conserve energy. .then they put in a show/ shift here and there to justify their inclusion overall... anyone that. can't see that is blinkered...we've had the cases of Fraser and King in our own backyard.
**************** me you spout some pompous ****************. You werent even there!.

Bristol City, never stopped putting in total effort, their defenders made a couple of crunching tackles, late on in the second half, one of which was a fabulous goal saving slide tackle for example.

We were just so good, and with 72% (effective) possession, just moved them around so much, they couldn't match us.

Anyone that can't see that is blinkered.

Last edited:
The parachute payment issue has been exacerbated by COVID but the logic is clear. I don’t remember being opposed to them when we were promoted to the Championship in 2013.

The issue that needs to be addressed (but won’t be) is the huge disparity between the Premier League and EFL; parachute payments are a symptom of that.

I dont disagree,, but is it really that much different in most leagues? Look where Peterborough and Hull are currently for example.

There are always sides that struggle and some that step up, in all leagues.

Brentford prevIling well enough in the PL to date.

Its the same with relegated sides, some compete, but often some slide. Funny how none of the Sunderlands, Boltons, Wigans, Hulls are being mentioned despite their parachute payments in the past. That said, I do agree covid has probably impacted more last season and this to date.

Thee premier league is founded on something of a mistruth. That it is a league of merit.

They need to make sure that clubs can come up from the championship and not get battered every week because it's bad for the spectacle they sell overseas.

They don't really want other clubs to win it, just not do too badly.
So they provide parachute payments so that a selective number of clubs can come up and not disgrace themselves.

They'd probably prefer that it included sheffield Wednesday, Pompey and Sunderland though and not little clubs like us and Norwich.

Strip away the excuses…we have a good balance in our squad of youth and experience being bossed by a manager who knows how to get them performing…yes without the PL dosh we would not have the likes of Cahill,Lerma,Billing and Solanke…but then we do have a fairly wealthy owner (who may be seeing his energy prices rising in stock?)

**************** me you spout some pompous ****************. You werent even there!.

Bristol City, never stopped putting in total effort, their defenders made a couple of crunching tackles, late on in the second half, one of which was a fabulous goal saving slide tackle for example.

We were just so good, and with 72% (effective) possession, just moved them around so much, th.ey couldn't match us.

Anyone that can't see that is blinkered.

That won't be quite the view of many Bristol fans will it......
...in fact its not..I've been on their Forum this morning...most of it has been about their lack of effort " not getting into them" etc.

They also have a go at each other about " not being there".

Same old sh*t we get on here too..

..if someone has a different opinion .they are 'words' like pompous or an idiot...insults galore.
I know that I generalise too much...but i'm confident i'm on the right tracks about most stuff!

Last edited:
All this talk of parachute payments. The reason the club's generally do well is that they still have their premier League players.

The only solution with would be to force relegated clubs to rip up the player contracts and sign new players on their new championship income.

It's not the money it's the players.

;