Thierry Henry

Anybody think the managers of the five clubs ahead of us have anything in common?

It's far to say they all come from very different backgrounds and Farke aside haven't achieved that much between them as managers that suggests they are destined to get promoted, and certainly not to stay up. It even took Bielsa time.

What makes us so much more special that we can't function without someone who has achieved promotion before?

It's a lottery of has beens and wannabes.

Personally, maybe the secret is combining the qualities of two wannabes, Henry and Woodgate, flair and fundamentals, attack and defend, inspire and tough love.

My response to hearing this...
giphy.gif
"Thighs no need to feel or look embarrassed Jamie ..Mon Ami...je suis always in l'admiration of vous .since we danced on the bridge of Avignon..."

:nopity:Sur la pont d'Avignon on y danse ....on y danse..tous en rond..
..les beaux messieurs font comme ca...La La La La La La.

Last edited:
Later story than from KT.

So we wait and see.

Thierry Henry could be confirmed as Bournemouth’s new boss as early as next week.

The Cherries have made an official approach to the Arsenal legend's club, CF Montreal, for talks.

Bournemouth's hierarchy have already decided 43-year-old Henry is the man to succeed Jason Tindall who was sacked two weeks ago. Russian owner Maxim Demin has given his blessing for the move to go ahead.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/thierry-henry-could-confirmed-bournemouth-23526902

I think the board have acted naive since Eddie left, allowing players to leave and not replace them (Long in for King is not replacing like for like!! Another expensive mistake like bringing Defoe back).

Also allowing Simpson to leave without bringing in a replacement. We have so many midfielders - did we really need to sign Pearson?

I honestly would prefer to have a young experienced manager who has the enthusiasm to push for promotion (someone like Lee Johnson).

I think the board have acted naive since Eddie left, allowing players to leave and not replace them (Long in for King is not replacing like for like!! Another expensive mistake like bringing Defoe back).

You're not going to get like for like without paying wages we can't afford. Agree Long is a mistake but Defoe without the benefit of hindsight looked like an amazing signing.

Also allowing Simpson to leave without bringing in a replacement. We have so many midfielders - did we really need to sign Pearson?

Pearson was a free transfer that looks to be a real improvement IMO. Attempts were made for defenders but we have Mepham, Cook, Kelly and CCV already.

I honestly would prefer to have a young experienced manager who has the enthusiasm to push for promotion (someone like Lee Johnson).

Young and experienced so they need to by definition have been a manager for a while but can't be too old? Use Johson as a yardstick, they need to be under 40 with 7 years of management. Probably the strangest requirement for a manager I've seen yet.

It's a lottery of has beens and wannabes.

Personally, maybe the secret is combining the qualities of two wannabes, Henry and Woodgate, flair and fundamentals, attack and defend, inspire and tough love.
I’m also allowing myself to be a bit seduced by the idea.
I’m not overly enamoured by any of the other candidates. (Even David Wagner’s most recent record is absolutely shocking.)
Any appointment is a bit of a gamble, so why not, Henry? I liked the bit of insight I read in the espn link I posted previously. He had a philosophy, a stubborn philosophy, a vision an identity.
Even if he had enjoyed success in France and Canada would that really prove he’d have success in the Championship.
Slot him in alongside Woodgate and Purches and you’ve got a lot of understanding of the Championship around him.
It may well just work...
Seriously, why can't we just leave Woody in charge till the end of the season? Crazy when you consider the players are responding to him and 'playing' for him. You do wonder if we want to go back to the EPL.
I like the guy, personality wise he comes off well, but performances haven’t been anything to write home about. There hasn’t been a dramatic turn since Tindall left, he’s just overseen a run of four games unbeaten, just like Tindall did previously.
I’ve seen bits to suggest he’s having a positive influence, but not enough to say he must provide that influence as the manager rather than as a coach...

I’m not overly enamoured by any of the other candidates. (Even David Wagner’s most recent record is absolutely shocking.)
Any appointment is a bit of a gamble, so why not, Henry? I liked the bit of insight I read in the espn link I posted previously. He had a philosophy, a stubborn philosophy, a vision an identity.
Even if he had enjoyed success in France and Canada would that really prove he’d have success in the Championship.
Slot him in alongside Woodgate and Purches and you’ve got a lot of understanding of the Championship around him.
It may well just work...

I like the guy, personality wise he comes off well, but performances haven’t been anything to write home about. There hasn’t been a dramatic turn since Tindall left, he’s just overseen a run of four games unbeaten, just like Tindall did previously.
I’ve seen bits to suggest he’s having a positive influence, but not enough to say he must provide that influence as the manager rather than as a coach...

Good post, sums up my thoughts on it too.

All appointments carry risk. If Henry has experienced coaches/scouts around, would make up any current deficit he has around championship football.

From day one I imagine he'll command a lot of respect from the entire squad just from his reputation as a player, so he's not fighting an uphill battle on that front. Thats for him to lose, rather than uphill battle to gain (like Tindall).

I can't imagine he's totally clueless after managing Monaco (albeit with mediocre results) and now doing ok in the MLS. I'd also expect that despite the low opinion of Blake, Hughes etc, they wouldn't be that dumb/naive to appoint him as manager purely based on reputation as a player. After all, they have vested interest in the club being successful (although they did take cheap and questionable option of Tindall in the summer).

There is a lot to be said about the role of staff outside the manager. You hear some really positive things for example about the roles Steve Clarke and Ray Wilkins played during the good times at Chelsea. The more I look at this with a non- football head, the more sense it makes to think about the management team rather than just manager.

A lot of managers take their entourage with them once they find a winning formula, and maybe finding that set up is what holds back a lot of them when they start out. Thus, our manager probably can have weaknesses if the Board are comfortable and asking the right questions about who is the assistant and accompanying team.

Finally, imagine next year's range of turtleneck sweaters in the club shop.

There is a lot to be said about the role of staff outside the manager. You hear some really positive things for example about the roles Steve Clarke and Ray Wilkins played during the good times at Chelsea. The more I look at this with a non- football head, the more sense it makes to think about the management team rather than just manager.

A lot of managers take their entourage with them once they find a winning formula, and maybe finding that set up is what holds back a lot of them when they start out. Thus, our manager probably can have weaknesses if the Board are comfortable and asking the right questions about who is the assistant and accompanying team.

Finally, imagine next year's range of turtleneck sweaters in the club shop.

Yes indeed. If he does come in, I imagine he'll want to bring in some of his own people... no idea if any back room staff followed him from Monaco to the US. I can't imagine he'll just turn up and work with Purches and Woodgate.

Will be interesting to see, no doubt it's discussed during the interviews. I also can't imagine they'll all be cheap, relatively unproven names working alongside him, so the outlay for the club could be significant appointing Henry. Although the projected income he could generate via lucrative sponsorship, commercial deals etc could pay for the this. Not sure what his reputation is like in France and other countries, but we could become extremely attractive to overseas investors, potential sponsors.

Ha, yes. I think we should put turtlenecks on the seats, alternating black and red sweaters per column.

Yes indeed. If he does come in, I imagine he'll want to bring in some of his own people... no idea if any back room staff followed him from Monaco to the US. I can't imagine he'll just turn up and work with Purches and Woodgate.

Will be interesting to see, no doubt it's discussed during the interviews. I also can't imagine they'll all be cheap, relatively unproven names working alongside him, so the outlay for the club could be significant appointing Henry. Although the projected income he could generate via lucrative sponsorship, commercial deals etc could pay for the this. Not sure what his reputation is like in France and other countries, but we could become extremely attractive to overseas investors, potential sponsors.

Ha, yes. I think we should put turtlenecks on the seats, alternating black and red sweaters per column.

I imagine he'd bring Kwame Ampadu with him.

It may well just work...
...there's merit in that DJ, though haven't we seen enough of a stubborn philosophy, one that arguably contributed to our relegation?

;