Thoughts v Coventry

im not affiliated to either side but managed to bag a ticket for the game , on seeing the line-ups I noticed that Coventry had only named 6 subs so did a bit of homework , we had all heard of Bournemouth’s missing players but Coventry had a few influential players missing to ,
As for the game , it come quickly that the weather conditions was going to be a major factor on the game , Bournemouth we’re zipping the ball about with authority ,and with this we’re gaining confidence which had eroded slightly from there previous results , Coventry were dogged without actually creating much ,
Bournemouth took the lead through a fortuitous cross into the box which alluded all the players and nestled in the corner …ht 1-0
Second half , I thought would be different because of the weather but the confidence gained from the 1st half spilled over into the 2nd and Bournemouth were still in control and the next goal always looked like coming from Bournemouth , and so it did 2-0..
As stated a 100 times on this thread the game changed with the sending off , sloppy play all round and a definite sending off ,
coventry seemed to get the bit between the teeth and make a game of it by throwing on attacking players , in contrast Bournemouth’s play became disjointed and mistake ridden , Cook the older statesman started to become a liability by getting deeper and deeper which meant Coventry had more space to manoeuvre the ball ,
The dark arts of time wasting with throw-ins , goalkeeper feigning injury , subs being made , made Bournemouth look desperate and comeback to bite them as the ref added 5mins injury time , Coventry grabbed 2 goals with the 2nd looking like it was a overhit cross but they all count ,
a big shout out go to the Coventry fans ,despite the weather conditions and how the momentum of the game was going they got behind the club throughout

im not affiliated to either side but managed to bag a ticket for the game , on seeing the line-ups I noticed that Coventry had only named 6 subs so did a bit of homework , we had all heard of Bournemouth’s missing players but Coventry had a few influential players missing to ,
As for the game , it come quickly that the weather conditions was going to be a major factor on the game , Bournemouth we’re zipping the ball about with authority ,and with this we’re gaining confidence which had eroded slightly from there previous results , Coventry were dogged without actually creating much ,
Bournemouth took the lead through a fortuitous cross into the box which alluded all the players and nestled in the corner …ht 1-0
Second half , I thought would be different because of the weather but the confidence gained from the 1st half spilled over into the 2nd and Bournemouth were still in control and the next goal always looked like coming from Bournemouth , and so it did 2-0..
As stated a 100 times on this thread the game changed with the sending off , sloppy play all round and a definite sending off ,
coventry seemed to get the bit between the teeth and make a game of it by throwing on attacking players , in contrast Bournemouth’s play became disjointed and mistake ridden , Cook the older statesman started to become a liability by getting deeper and deeper which meant Coventry had more space to manoeuvre the ball ,
The dark arts of time wasting with throw-ins , goalkeeper feigning injury , subs being made , made Bournemouth look desperate and comeback to bite them as the ref added 5mins injury time , Coventry grabbed 2 goals with the 2nd looking like it was a overhit cross but they all count ,
a big shout out go to the Coventry fans ,despite the weather conditions and how the momentum of the game was going they got behind the club throughout
Come back again ....best match report in years..... although you'll have to accept that injuries only ever effect us.

Numerous reasons, perhaps the injury happened in the final 20 minutes of training? Who knows? Sounded like an improved performance? Isn’t that what matters?
The final 20 minutes of training!....lol nobody is going to lock the gates if they stay a bit later.....:grinning:

Not sure why people are assuming that we don’t practice 10 v 11?

When we played out a perfect 10 v 11 at Forest I don’t remember people assuming we do practice them.

Kilkenny took a touch when he should have put the ball behind for a corner. Travers misjudged a wind assisted cross in last kick of game. It wasn’t tactics it was individual errors.
The fact that we conceded late has nothing to do with just how clueless we looked once we were down to 10 .... absolutely zero organisation.....just 9 players aimlessly trying to hoof the ball clear against the wind.....I didn't think anyone could get it more wrong than Woodgate did in the semi final but Parker managed bit yesterday.

We've got away with a lot of cr@p defending whilst parking the bus in a lot of games this season due to our opponents rubbish finishing......that was never going to be sustainable..... we'll drop more points doing that before the season is finished.

The fact that we conceded late has nothing to do with just how clueless we looked once we were down to 10 .... absolutely zero organisation.....just 9 players aimlessly trying to hoof the ball clear against the wind.....I didn't think anyone could get it more wrong than Woodgate did in the semi final but Parker managed bit yesterday.

We've got away with a lot of cr@p defending whilst parking the bus in a lot of games this season due to our opponents rubbish finishing......that was never going to be sustainable..... we'll drop more points doing that before the season is finished.
You’ve been itching to use that Woodgate line ;-)

Sorry but that is rubbish, for quite a while after we went down to 10 we were the better side and very nearly made it 3-0 on 2 occasions. In fact Coventry looked disorganised for a while and not knowing how to play against the 10 men. Then Coventry changed their tactics and made a couple of forward substitutions, we also made a change with Christie going off. Thats when it all started to change. To say we immediately became a disorganised rabble is not true.

I disagree. The way to hold on to a 2-0 lead with one less player is to concede possession and pack the defence. We did that at Forest this year. Eddie did it a few times most notably against Leicester in their title winning season when we didn’t leave our half at all.

The plan was set. Then Kilkenny showed all his inexperience with a mad touch in the area and Travers got beaten flat footed to a cross that took the wind.

I know you’ve been dying for this run all year to hammer the bloke you didn’t want to get the job but yesterday not down to him. Derby second half and Milwall were bigger examples of his shortcomings.

Last edited:
This is not a pop at SP's decision making but after (Dom I think it was) missed our chance to go 3-0 up it was only ever going to end up one way. Stop blaming the wind deceiving Travs in the last minute of added on time that was only added on due to Cov's time wasting in the first half and accept that we were holding on like a bunch of part-timers for the last 15 minutes. It was clear to pretty much everyone in the ground that we were going to concede at least one if not more goals playing that way.

My impression of the reaction to the red card is somewhere between @Topfarrier and @Neil Dawson.

Immediately after, it was definite confusion. Notes were being passed all over the place, and according to the commentary, L. Cook was back and forth to the bench to get instruction. Travers went down which bought us a huddle, and we looked a bit better, did have a chance or two to make it 3-0. But we then retreated and it was certainly hoof-and-hope for the final 15 minutes or so.

I would have liked to see us continue to press a bit, even if just with Dom running his socks off as he always does. It's the same with hockey and American football. Trying to hold a lead by consistently letting the other guy have the ball/puck is a dangerous way to go.

My impression of the reaction to the red card is somewhere between @Topfarrier and @Neil Dawson.

Immediately after, it was definite confusion. Notes were being passed all over the place, and according to the commentary, L. Cook was back and forth to the bench to get instruction. Travers went down which bought us a huddle, and we looked a bit better, did have a chance or two to make it 3-0. But we then retreated and it was certainly hoof-and-hope for the final 15 minutes or so.

I would have liked to see us continue to press a bit, even if just with Dom running his socks off as he always does. It's the same with hockey and American football. Trying to hold a lead by consistently letting the other guy have the ball/puck is a dangerous way to go.
It is the standard way to play with 10men though rightly or wrongly. Open up and you can get taken apart. It relies on no individual errors of course which is where it fell down yesterday but worked against Forest, Leicester and Man U in recent seasons.

I disagree. The way to hold on to a 2-0 lead with one less player is to concede possession and pack the defence. We did that at Forest this year. Eddie did it a few times most notably against Leicester in their title winning season when we didn’t leave our half at all.

The plan was set. Then Kilkenny showed all his inexperience with a mad touch in the area and Travers got beaten flat footed to a cross that took the wind.

I know you’ve been dying for this run all year to hammer the bloke you didn’t want to get the job but yesterday not down to him. Derby second half and Milwall were bigger examples of his shortcomings.

Well, we tried that yesterday and look what happened!

Surely the way to hold onto a 2-0 lead is to play as normally as possibly, try and retain possession, use your subs effectively and try and play the game as much as possible in the opposition's half!

It was 10 V 11 for goodnes sake, not 7 V 11! There was no need to just boot the ball away anywhere!

Some teams even go and win games with 10 V 11!

We've got so used to teams missing open goals against us this season and sadly that run of luck seems to have come to an end!

Surely the way to hold onto a 2-0 lead is to play as normally as possibly, try and retain possession, use your subs effectively and try and play the game as much as possible in the opposition's half!

It was 10 V 11 for goodnes sake, not 7 V 11! There was no need to just boot the ball away anywhere!

We've got so used to teams missing open goals against us this season and sadly that run of luck seems to have come to an end!
Yeah, that's kind of where I was headed.

But without 6 exclamation marks ........ :giggle:

Compare yesterdays shambles with how we defended with 10 men under Eddie......even in our last season we went down to 10 men against Aston Villa after Jeff got sent off early in the second half while we were 2-0 up.....we looked so organised with two banks of 4 and Wilson as an out ball.......we had no formation yesterday in the last 10.

We did try and win. If Solanke had buried that header with ten men we would have been 3-0 up. Two bad individual errors from less experienced players. Kilkenny boots that behind for a corner instead of taking a touch and i say we win 2-0. You can’t coach that, you can only rollock him or hope he learns from it. It cost us.

Compare yesterdays shambles with how we defended with 10 men under Eddie......even in our last season we went down to 10 men against Aston Villa after Jeff got sent off early in the second half while we were 2-0 up.....we looked so organised with two banks of 4 and Wilson as an out ball.......we had no formation yesterday in the last 10.
We didn’t have inexperienced players like Kilkenny trying to take a touch facing their own goal.

;