Thoughts v QPR

kirsikka

UTC Legend
After the recent run, we needed to arrest the slide with a performance and result to try and start putting pressure back on the teams that have been closing in behind us.

Overall, it was job done. Elements of this made it the perfect game as QPR like to play in an open and attacking style which suits us.

There was a spell in the second half which was amongst the best we've seen under Parker. We pinned them into their area and were picking them apart at will, just the finish lacking.

Strikers will miss easy chances. The good ones put it out of their head and focus on the next chance. It shows how far Solanke has come that he put that easy as they come open goal header miss to notch the next one. He looked a threat all night and could (should?) have scored more.

We shouldn't always compare everything to Howe but that is our benchmark. Under EH you never quite felt comfortable when they other team was having a spell. Despite the recent troubles, we feel much more solid under Parker in those patches.

There was still some wayward passing out there but mixed in some excellent moves. More of the latter, less of the former and we'll be in very good shape moving forward.

QPRs were desperate in the final quarter, resorting to appealing for a penalty every time the ball went into the area. That shows how well we'd shut them out as none of them were even a close call. For the one chance they did create, Lerma's block was heroic.

A good day at the office.

Notable performances:
Lerma: You can see the difference he makes to the whole team. First choice under four managers. There's a reason.

Mepham: Considering everything, he stepped in and did very well. Even dug Cahill out of a hole in the first half.

Solanke: A constant threat, although perhaps should have scored a second.

Room for improvement:
Anthony: A bit harsh maybe but looked out of touch during his spell on the pitch. Hopefully the Junior sub was precautionary as that's an excellent set of options.

Overall we have to be delighted with that. On the balance of good chances created that should have been a two or three goal victory. Chapeau to Scott and his team.

Room for improvement would be Lewis Cook:

I have no idea what he contributes other than suicidal passing, wayward shooting and the all too familiar, turn back to goal with the first touch.

1 goal in 5 years.

Be lucky to get to 2 in 10 years.

I like Lewis, he really wasn’t that bad tonight. He’s not the type of midfielder you would expect to get lots of goals from a bit like Wilshere for example.
There’s obviously a reason he’s above Kilkenny and Pearson in the pecking order too.

Last edited:
I like Lewis, he really wasn’t that bad tonight. He’s not the type of midfielder you would expect to get lots of goals from, like Wilshere for example.
There’s obviously a reason he’s above Kilkenny and Pearson in the pecking order too.
What is that reason as a matter of interest?

Think switching Mepham and Cahill gave us better balance in defence.

All about the win tonight and the team delivered backed by a vocal away support. Should have been a bigger margin but, if you don’t convert the chances, then expect to come under big pressure. Marvellous block by Jeff at the end!

I don’t like playing qpr - fans squeal for any challenge while a couple of their players are gob shites. Their fault the ruck happened at the end.

Room for improvement would be Lewis Cook:

I have no idea what he contributes other than suicidal passing, wayward shooting and the all too familiar, turn back to goal with the first touch.

1 goal in 5 years.

Be lucky to get to 2 in 10 years.
Yeah can't argue with that.

I desperately want him to do well but I'm not seeing what he is offering.

Some players need longer to get back to their best after a long injury and I am hoping that we'll see him kick on in the next few games.

It would be interesting to hear SP's candid views on the matter.

Lewis Cook critic criticises Lewis Cook shocker.

Cook and Lerma were excellent in the middle. Dominated them for most of the match. Dom was excellent up front today. Yes, he could and should have scored more but his work on and off the ball was outstanding.

Edited to add, I'm pretty sure its the same people who couldn't see the work that Surman did that dont see what Cook brings.

Lewis Cook critic criticises Lewis Cook shocker.

Cook and Lerma were excellent in the middle. Dominated them for most of the match. Dom was excellent up front today. Yes, he could and should have scored more but his work on and off the ball was outstanding.

Edited to add, I'm pretty sure its the same people who couldn't see the work that Surman did that dont see what Cook brings.
Spot on

;