Thoughts v Reading

Looking at who is below us in the table,it's only really Hudds who can realistically catch us,and after tonight we still have 3 games in hand on them with a far superior goal difference.
They also have to play some top 8 teams ,as I imagine do all the top 8 teams so there will be results cancelling each other out.
For the chasing pack including Hudds with games running out,a draw is as good as a defeat.
We only have to win one more game than Hudds to be promoted,they only have 8 games left after tonight whilst we have 11.
We also have games in hand over the other top 8 teams to varying degrees with superior points.
Statistically it looks difficult to see us not going up,Hudds really have to keep their unbeaten run going to the end,which I think will be difficult.
Don't forget the great 2015 side were only promoted with 1 game left and only won the title in the dying seconds of the last game.
How many wins is enough ?
I think 5,I can't see Hudds winning more than 5 from 8.

Looking at who is below us in the table,it's only really Hudds who can realistically catch us,and after tonight we still have 3 games in hand on them with a far superior goal difference.
They also have to play some top 8 teams ,as I imagine do all the top 8 teams so there will be results cancelling each other out.
For the chasing pack including Hudds with games running out,a draw is as good as a defeat.
We only have to win one more game than Hudds to be promoted,they only have 8 games left after tonight whilst we have 11.
We also have games in hand over the other top 8 teams to varying degrees with superior points.
Statistically it looks difficult to see us not going up,Hudds really have to keep their unbeaten run going to the end,which I think will be difficult.
Don't forget the great 2015 side were only promoted with 1 game left and only won the title in the dying seconds of the last game.
How many wins is enough ?
I think 5,I can't see Hudds winning more than 5 from 8.
Will look different on Saturday if Huddersfield win tonight and beat us, but would 3 points ahead having played 3 more

Will look different on Saturday if Huddersfield win tonight and beat us, but would 3 points ahead having played 3 more

Loads of ifs and buts of course.

As I said,a draw is as good as a defeat for them,whilst for us with our superior goal difference and points going into tonight, a draw against them on Saturday is not a disaster.
They could draw tonight or even lose tonight and Saturday who knows?
But yes a win tonight and Saturday puts them almost in the driving seat but then also heaps more pressure on them.

I’ll make my mind up at the end of the season Re Parker… If he gets us going over these final 11 games and gets us promoted easily and we see a decent improvement in the consistency of our play… Then for me he’ll get some time next season also… and probably deserved over a season. We’d be as bad as Watford for sacking a manager that’s just got us promoted at first time of asking…

If the complete opposite happens and we limp over the line or god forbid end up in play off hell… Then they’ll be decisions to make…

The one thing to take into consideration is Parker came here for a project… Was the intention to get promoted this year or in a couple of years and streamline the squad of high earners…? By being where we are and possibly getting us promoted, the board might be over the moon with how things are going… It’s the same as every week, if you win the prize in the last few minutes, that’s what you remember… the prize, not necessarily how you won it…

Depends on the board and his focused they are on money. If we go up, job done. (And a minor miracle to be promoted twice to the premier league)

Once there, do the club feel that we can stay up with the current squad? If the answer is no, are they prepared to spend the money to keep us up? Or are they happy to take the cash and go down and take parachute payments?

If the board think the chances are we’ll come back down they may as well keep SP, cheaper than paying him off. As we’ve seen with Fulham he will drive a hard bargain to leave. (Doing a faraday).

If they think we can stay up, do they think SP can keep us up with his current philosophy. A good question to ask him is what would he do differently this time compared to when he was at Fulham. If he keeps to the same way of playing, 2 really wide midfield men, we’ll get hammered. Or would there be three teams we could be above?

It’s a really interesting cost/ benefit analysis.

I’ll make my mind up at the end of the season Re Parker… If he gets us going over these final 11 games and gets us promoted easily and we see a decent improvement in the consistency of our play… Then for me he’ll get some time next season also… and probably deserved over a season. We’d be as bad as Watford for sacking a manager that’s just got us promoted at first time of asking…

If the complete opposite happens and we limp over the line or god forbid end up in play off hell… Then they’ll be decisions to make…

The one thing to take into consideration is Parker came here for a project… Was the intention to get promoted this year or in a couple of years and streamline the squad of high earners…? By being where we are and possibly getting us promoted, the board might be over the moon with how things are going… It’s the same as every week, if you win the prize in the last few minutes, that’s what you remember… the prize, not necessarily how you won it…

Either way, there is a decision to be made.

I’d add that none of us will ever forget how we won the prize in 2015.

If we go up, there's also the question of Kelly, Lerma etc only having a year left on their deals. If we stay down I expect them to be sold. If we go up... who knows...

If we go up, there's also the question of Kelly, Lerma etc only having a year left on their deals. If we stay down I expect them to be sold. If we go up... who knows...

Yeah will have to sell this summer if we don;t go up. Question is can they play at higher level and get better contract than they already have here?

I imagine Kelly would definitely have suitors this summer and probably Lerma.

Not so sure about Lerma as Kelly though. I assume Lerma is earning a very good wage here and may not get offered any more to play elsewhere? Similar to Rico, move back to Spain could be more realistic, particularly as he still can;t speak English.... But how many Spanish clubs can afford a decent fee and his wage... I'm not so sure. The top clubs with bigger budgets won;t be interested in him, as not quite good enough.

I doubt it would be a decent fee, it would be a case of getting him off the pay roll to allow for the big drop in parachute payments. Basically, we'll take whatever we can get.

I doubt it would be a decent fee, it would be a case of getting him off the pay roll to allow for the big drop in parachute payments. Basically, we'll take whatever we can get.

yeah you're right. accept much much lower than we paid, but would allow purchasing club to offer him higher wage so he actually has incentive to move on and not see out his contract to get bigger deal in a years time.

although may not be true, seems like he may have been one of those players wealthy russian clubs throw crazy money at, or maybe chinese/middle eastern clubs. but that unlikely to happen now of course... not quite good enough for elite clubs in the top leagues, but someone fringe leagues with a lot of money may be prepared to throw elite player wages at to persuade him to join...

Screenshot_20220317-100345_Chrome.jpg
Taken from NSC. Interesting that they had a great start to the season with Potter being linked with a lot of the top jobs.
Their lot are now asking if it is time for a change.

;