Three at the back

We are unbeaten yes, but without sounding rash, who actually cares? I have no doubt that we’d have accumulated more points had we just gone with an ‘out score the opposition’ approach, we may have lost the odd game on the way but you don’t get promoted by drawing every week. We are third right now, that’s all that matters.

I see your point . Maybe JT wanted to be more solid at the back and that’s what has happened .
Remember to start the season our attacking players were not available so being solid at the back isn’t a bad theory

they are now back so I do expect JT to realise and find a way to play as much of our talented players as possible within reason of the balance of the team and take games to teams .

Waz is right. Draw all our games this season, get relegated but get an Invincibles trophy made for the cabinet?

We have been poor for most of this season, saved by individual brilliance by our squad of top class players. We cannot waste this chance before they all leave.

We are unbeaten yes, but without sounding rash, who actually cares? I have no doubt that we’d have accumulated more points had we just gone with an ‘out score the opposition’ approach, we may have lost the odd game on the way but you don’t get promoted by drawing every week. We are third right now, that’s all that matters.

I care, I like the fact we're unbeaten and I guess the manager does too as he's just nine games into his new job
Eddie was accused of trying to outscore the opposition and got hammered for it
Our performances have, at best been patchy, but we're third in the league ffs

I care, I like the fact we're unbeaten and I guess the manager does too as he's just nine games into his new job
Who actually criticised Eddie for this? The spiral with Eddie started when we STOPPED trying to outscore the opposition. We are in danger of throwing away an incredible opportunity to bounce straight back up. We have attacking quality matched by nobody in this league. For this squad finishing third is not an achievement, it’s a failure. People don’t realise quite how much quality we have for the level we’re at.

For God’s sake even Willo was saying today that he can’t see the point of three at the back in games where the impetuous is on us to attack. Even bloody Willo who never says anything negative about team set up ect was saying this!!

From my POV, flexibility is key. I’m delighted that we have players who can play both systems successfully: one to make us look more solid at the back than we have for many years, the other to smash into the opposition like in the last 20 today.

Of course, as a fan and someone whose reputation and livelihood isn’t at stake, I’d be throwing the kitchen sink at every game to win 5-4 as it’s so bloody exciting. Equally, I respect the fact that we’re growing into the season on the platform of being (so far) impossible to beat.

My only worry is that JT might be too slow to go to 4-4-2 out of a desire to stamp his own pattern on the team and distinguish himself from EH. After what we saw at the end of the game, hopefully he’ll back the system a bit more when the time is right.

Firstly you can’t really say JT is nine games into a new job , he’s been here all along , knows all the players etc .

nobody ever ” hammered” Edd for trying to out score the opposition ,he was loved for it .

If we’re allowed to wax lyrically about the the day us minnows beat the millionaires from Manu or Liverpool or why we were never expected to have a chance against Citeh then we need to be expecting our millionaires to put the likes of Derby to the sword .

For God’s sake even Willo was saying today that he can’t see the point of three at the back in games where the impetuous is on us to attack. Even bloody Willo who never says anything negative about team set up ect was saying this!!

Yeah but saying it's not right for games like today is a long way from "it needs to go" and "it doesn't suit us". Even you've said we've played well with it this season "for God's sake". You don't need to throw entire formations in the bin just because they aren't right in certain games.

Agree. It’s total overkill. We’re setting up like we’re about to play Man City away when we will be up against teams like Wycombe. Just unnecessary. We have an expensive squad with attacking players. Use them. We may be unbeaten but we have been poor and on the back foot for far too much of this season, and it’s our own doing.

Yeah but saying it's not right for games like today is a long way from "it needs to go" and "it doesn't suit us". Even you've said we've played well with it this season "for God's sake". You don't need to throw entire formations in the bin just because they aren't right in certain games.
My point is that we have more attacking quality than most teams in this division, surely we should look to exploit this?

Agree. It’s total overkill. We’re setting up like we’re about to play Man City away when we will be up against teams like Wycombe. Just unnecessary. We have an expensive squad with attacking players. Use them. We may be unbeaten but we have been poor and on the back foot for far too much of this season, and it’s our own doing.
Exactly. 100%

We really can't judge if 4 at the back is more effective than a 3 until we start a game with it......how it looks in the last 15 mins of a match where the opposition are sitting that deep is irrelevant.......not against the idea;a of a 4 though as i'd like to see a Cook /Kelly partnership and 433 allows Brooks to play central......has to be said though that we got relegated playing with a 4 at the back.

My point is that we have more attacking quality than most teams in this division, surely we should look to exploit this?

Sure, which is why it wasn't the right formation for today, or if it was we should have been getting the wide CBs forward as much as possible.

I agree we have to much attacking talent to be having 3 at the back it's a waste.
A back 4 of Rico, Cook, Kelly and Stacey did a job in the PL and should be fine in Championship. Brooks, King, Danjuma and Roro or Stanislas should be in attack

Sure, which is why it wasn't the right formation for today, or if it was we should have been getting the wide CBs forward as much as possible.
But surely given our quality we should be looking to take advantage of our talent in every game? There may be some very specific situations in which a three at the back is beneficial but to have played with it religiously so far is madness imo. We are getting outplayed by average championship sides like Derby and QPR. I’m not saying that I expect us to win every game, of course I don’t, but given the quality at our disposal I expect the team to be A LOT more exciting to watch than it currently is

;