Transfer targets!?

One area we don’t need to strengthen is cb, Kelly and Mepham will be the best partnership in the league.

just lost ake, cook’s a good leader but full of errors and has been part of a defence prolific in conceding goals the last 5 years and simpson’s not good enough cover - we don’t need to strengthen cb?

just lost ake, cook’s a good leader but full of errors and has been part of a defence prolific in conceding goals the last 5 years and simpson’s not good enough cover - we don’t need to strengthen cb?
Personally think Simpson is good enough at this level, but appreciate I’m in the minority.

Simpson - aaargh! Horribly accident-prone when the ball is on his right. Need a much more solid back-up CB.

CB is our strongest position.

Mepham, Cook and Kelly could be a back 3. Francis and Simpson are more than adequate as 4th and 5th choice.

We weren’t good at defending in the PL. On paper it’s our strongest area in the Championship. That’s how football works

There's not really anyone worth signing in our target bracket.
The best players from the Champ like Benrahma, Watkins etc will join PL clubs. Toney will go to somewhere like West Bumwhich.

The only targets I see are few loans from PL. Maybe Tino Anjorin from Chelsea, born in Poole, pacey forward who they rate highly.

yet another QE lad!

Personally think Simpson is good enough at this level, but appreciate I’m in the minority.

Truth is we won’t really know until he gets a run in the side. His form might improve greatly with consistent games.

Tommy Elphick was a prime example of this, he had to play week in week out, to maintain his form. As soon as he dropped out of the side he took a long time to get back up to speed.

He’s also a fine example of looking an outstanding Championship centre back but not good enough in the Premier League (due to pace). So just because Simpson wasn’t up to it in the Premier League he could shine in the Championship given half a chance. Time will tell.

Agree with Cook, Mepham and Kelly being very strong centre backs in the Championship.

Truth is we won’t really know until he gets a run in the side. His form might improve greatly with consistent games.

Tommy Elphick was a prime example of this, he had to play week in week out, to maintain his form. As soon as he dropped out of the side he took a long time to get back up to speed.

He’s also a fine example of looking an outstanding Championship centre back but not good enough in the Premier League (due to pace). So just because Simpson wasn’t up to it in the Premier League he could shine in the Championship given half a chance. Time will tell.

Agree with Cook, Mepham and Kelly being very strong centre backs in the Championship.

If we can keep hold of Rico it’ll be an exceptional back 4 for the championship if you add in Stacey and Smith on the right.

Simpson’s looked solid enough against Championship opposition in the cups previously.

Trouble is, time isn’t on his side. He’ll be 24 in December, and goes into the season behind Cook, Mepham, Kelly and possibly Francis in the pecking order.

Like others have said, he needs a run of games.

Simpson’s looked solid enough against Championship opposition in the cups previously.

Trouble is, time isn’t on his side. He’ll be 24 in December, and goes into the season behind Cook, Mepham, Kelly and possibly Francis in the pecking order.

Like others have said, he needs a run of games.

He needed a loan desperately and I think he was due to have one and Ake got injured

Mepham and Kelly were first choice in the Championship when they signed for us in the PL. They might understand have to serve an apprenticeship to break through in the PL but with us back down at their former level, if we sign a new CB to play ahead of them now I suspect they'll be wanting to move on.

You might argue that's football but they're two of the players we surely should be looking at as potential sources of big sales over the next couple of seasons, as well as appearing to have all it takes to put in a string of quality performances to help us whilst they are here.

It isn't as if they are totally without competition since S Cook will be hard to dislodge. Bringing someone in as fourth choice CB is always tricky. Whether Simpson is up to it or not I don't know but it's also possible we'll end up retaining Francis.

Lashing a chunk of our limited budget on bringing in a new but experienced pro to play ahead of them seems profligate when there are other positions that will be in need of reinforcements. Especially striker assuming King and Wilson go, and good strikers rarely come cheap.

Mepham and Kelly were first choice in the Championship when they signed for us in the PL. They might understand have to serve an apprenticeship to break through in the PL but with us back down at their former level, if we sign a new CB to play ahead of them now I suspect they'll be wanting to move on.

You might argue that's football but they're two of the players we surely should be looking at as potential sources of big sales over the next couple of seasons, as well as appearing to have all it takes to put in a string of quality performances to help us whilst they are here.

It isn't as if they are totally without competition since S Cook will be hard to dislodge. Bringing someone in as fourth choice CB is always tricky. Whether Simpson is up to it or not I don't know but it's also possible we'll end up retaining Francis.

Lashing a chunk of our limited budget on bringing in a new but experienced pro to play ahead of them seems profligate when there are other positions that will be in need of reinforcements. Especially striker assuming King and Wilson go, and good strikers rarely come cheap.

Priority is definitely in other areas. We lack creativity to supply the forwards whoever that may be.

;