Travel to Palace - massive disruption

rednblackexile

First Team
Just spotted this. Nothing on COWS yet, as far as I can see.

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/information/crystal-palace-bournemouth-full-match-details-how-to-follow/

IMPORTANT TRAVEL INFORMATION
Due to engineering work on the route between Norwood Junction and New Cross Gate and the declared strike by the RMT Union, services through Norwood Junction, Selhurst and Thornton Heath will be extremely limited on matchday.
As such, we regret to inform supporters that there will be no services available at these stations to support the upcoming football match before or after the game.
Supporters are advised to use alternative routes to the ground, and leave plenty of time for your journey.

It's bad enough getting there when the trains are running. All suggestions welcome.

If you can get to West Croydon then it's about 35 min walk. Otherwise red buses
Agree. West Croydon area. The 468 bus goes right past Selhurst Park from near West Croydon station. How you get to West Croydon and where to park if you drive is another matter. Whichever way it is a real pain in the ar-e.

Public transport options seem to be knackered, we've switched to driving.

Parking, and getting away afterwards, will be a nightmare with everyone switching to the roads. So suggest parking a while away maybe south of the ground, and taking a leaisurely walk via some pubs or something, if you can.

Last edited:
Just spotted this. Nothing on COWS yet, as far as I can see.

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/information/crystal-palace-bournemouth-full-match-details-how-to-follow/

IMPORTANT TRAVEL INFORMATION
Due to engineering work on the route between Norwood Junction and New Cross Gate and the declared strike by the RMT Union, services through Norwood Junction, Selhurst and Thornton Heath will be extremely limited on matchday.
As such, we regret to inform supporters that there will be no services available at these stations to support the upcoming football match before or after the game.
Supporters are advised to use alternative routes to the ground, and leave plenty of time for your journey.

It's bad enough getting there when the trains are running. All suggestions welcome.
It’s got progressively worse even after factoring in the strike! Southern have timetabled two services an hour from Clapham (where I meet my son) but this appears to suggest the usual stations won’t even be open. TfL are running but the London Overground line stops at Sydenham.

Someone on twitter asked Jim if extra coaches would be put on but that seems a long shot at this stage.

Our usual excellent south London boozers and easy hop to the game might be replaced by Croydon and a bus ride.

Good luck everyone!

Luckily there's a limited service to London for me. Then a tube to Brixton and a pub/bus crawl down the A23 I think.

Another option is tube to Wimbledon and tram to Croydon area, then walk.

Maybe quicker to get off the tram at Mitcham and bus it to the ground rather than go in to Croydon and out again. Main roads in/out of Croydon often congested on a Saturday

Last edited:
They never do have any availabile. I don't know what's happened to coach provision in this area but it seems we'd struggle to get the big numbers of coaches we've had in the past for Wembley, Carlisle, etc.

Just noticed for anyone doing the Richmond tube option there's the Army / Navy rugby match at Twickers- best avoid that route in.
Not that it should impact us being other side of London, but there's also the play off final at Wembley between Notts C and Chesterfield. All having to travel down by road so anyone coming to our game from the midlands will struggle.

Last edited:
They never do have any availabile. I don't know what's happened to coach provision in this area but it seems we'd struggle to get the big numbers of coaches we've had in the past for Wembley, Carlisle, etc.
There’s been a 23% decline in coach use since 2008 so one would imagine a proportionate decline in coach stock as well. Fell away again badly in the pandemic when coach companies didn’t replacing retiring buses or drivers. Shares in National express are down 70% from 2019.

I suppose when you think about it my parents happily went on coach holidays but I’d rather stay at home if that was the option! I think if I offered it to my kids they rather stay at home and pull their eyelashes out!

;