UEFA Nations League

Just seen the goals, Terrible defending for the two unmarked headers, but England scored three nice goals from quick out of defence balls. Spain 70 % possession. 27 to 5 goal attempts. no corners to England.
Looks like a one sided game to me.

You don't need the ball at 3-0 up. It was a deserved victory. We're no world beaters but can beat anyone on our day. We also just got to a WC semi so it's certainly a decent period.

Ok, I must of misunderstood something.

Not really, the second half was very one sided. I was just saying that it's difficult to draw conclusions about the quality of the sides based on the stats when one of team is already comfortably ahead and doesn't need to take risks. You were right about the terrible marking for their goals. We also rode our luck at times. Still, were a half decent side who could do well again if we ride our luck.

You don't need the ball at 3-0 up. It was a deserved victory. We're no world beaters but can beat anyone on our day. We also just got to a WC semi so it's certainly a decent period.

Just imagine if we could have scored goals like last night in open play at the World Cup...

Certainly going to be interesting!

We can qualify for the finals and have a chance to win the whole thing or get relegated by the result of one single match.

Think relegation is too big a risk when playing in tough groups. All you need is a couple of injuries as part of a double header and you are in trouble. Also given the strength of teams, I would go for total goal difference rather than head-to-head results when points are equal. No doubt makes the games very exciting but risks star player burn-out.

Obviously thought up by a committee of three-toed sloths. Why mess around with a format (goal difference) and turn it into something that is so complicated. Stop messing around!

It's not that complicated - head to head record if you finish level on points.

The organisers couldn't have hoped for a better finale - anything possible and two teams that have recently played in a WC semi to add some spice.

It's not that complicated - head to head record if you finish level on points.

The organisers couldn't have hoped for a better finale - anything possible and two teams that have recently played in a WC semi to add some spice.

Goal difference simply doesn’t work when so few games are involved. Head to head makes sense.

Quite a few groups across the board are interesting.
I am now sold on this idea.
Gibraltar are winning again.
Come on the rock apes.

Euro qualifiers had head to head rather than gd not that long ago, it was discredited and dropped for the last set, sad to see its back.

AFAIR head to head wasn’t ever used for World Cup qualifying.

Goal difference simply doesn’t work when so few games are involved. Head to head makes sense.

Because so few games are involved is precisely why it does work. Do head to head for big groups with teams like Luxembourg and san Marino in there.

Top group countries ought to play off against promotion chasing teams as there are some tough groups that look lop-sided. Crazy to think we could be a semi finalist or relegated on the basis of just one game!

As for complexity - wait until the qualifier group and work out who qualifies for play offs!

Last edited:
Alarm bells!
Large clubs looking for new manager in the near future realising Eddie found this gem for a decent price from under the noses of their own high profile gaffers...might see Eddie in a more favourable way instead of worrying about his experience or not being a 'foreign coach'!' Could even be a club elsewhere on the Continent !

I must admit I’ve grown into this nations league concept. Seemed confusing at first but is pretty straight forward. Let’s hope we can top the group tomorrow

I must admit I’ve grown into this nations league concept. Seemed confusing at first but is pretty straight forward. Let’s hope we can top the group tomorrow

No doubt competitive games are better than friendlies, which had killed the attractiveness of most friendlies. However, it increases the chances of star player burnout as managers chase points rather than blooding new players.

Also I think the complexity comes when you work out who has a pass to the play offs/qualification regardless of the actual qualifying group tables.

;