ULEZ

What cars don't meet the ULEZ standard? Just checked and was surprised to see mine is ULEZ free, its a 2.0 turbo that gets around 18mpg around town.

What cars don't meet the ULEZ standard? Just checked and was surprised to see mine is ULEZ free, its a 2.0 turbo that gets around 18mpg around town.

Generally, pre-2005 petrol cars and pre-September 2015 diesel vehicles are non-compliant under ULEZ regulations.

Where did you find this info btk? We normally park near Kew Gardens tube station for London games. Is this within the zone?

Is your area clear on this map?

Richmond and Brentford are well within.

Scroll down to find new and old zones map.

I checked today and I would be exempt but if, and is is a very big if, I drove in London I would still be hit with the congestion charge. Another rip off.

A disgrace. For example, 60% of particulates harmful to human health come from brakes and tyres, so EVs have that issue. EVs also have the issue that their production is significantly more energy intense and requires minerals that involve deforestation and child labour. Oh and electrifying all cars will involve the burning of more and more coal - consumption of which has hit record highs, all thanks to nonsense virtue signalling like this. Pushing people to upgrade cars is hardly environmentally friendly either . And it is a tax on the poor not the rich. It is purely virtue signalling and I am amazed at how we get led along these paths

Does anybody know why do insurance companies routinely write off easily repairable cars more than 6 or 7 years old? Is it a government initiative?

It just seems extremely pointless and wasteful to me.

A disgrace. For example, 60% of particulates harmful to human health come from brakes and tyres, so EVs have that issue. EVs also have the issue that their production is significantly more energy intense and requires minerals that involve deforestation and child labour. Oh and electrifying all cars will involve the burning of more and more coal - consumption of which has hit record highs, all thanks to nonsense virtue signalling like this. Pushing people to upgrade cars is hardly environmentally friendly either . And it is a tax on the poor not the rich. It is purely virtue signalling and I am amazed at how we get led along these paths

Seems obvious to me then. Ban all cars in the area for personal use, other than blue badge holders and business use.

Everyone else hop on to public transport or ebikes etc.

We're going to have to face reality sooner rather than later. Traffic pollution in cities is linked to thousands of deaths each year and yet we still blab on about it being a war on car drivers when actually it is a war on unnecessary death.

I live in an area which will become within the ULEZ, my car isn't included, well at the moment. How long before they start adjusting the age limit.
Just impacts the people that can ill afford this most.
Interesting that people on here only interested in the one day a year they may enter the ulez zone, rather than those impacted every day.

A disgrace. For example, 60% of particulates harmful to human health come from brakes and tyres, so EVs have that issue.

Genuinely hilarious. No idea if it's true but even if it is, what you're saying it "We can reduce the harmful particles to human health by 40% and it's a disgrace that they're trying to do that". Meanwhile, this peer reviewed on the causes of GP and A&E visits in Bradford study shows the impact of higher air pollution

Reduce the air pollution, that'll reduce the GP and A&E visits and leave the NHS budget for other things whilst also keep people healthier.

Yep, an absolute disgrace that.

EVs also have the issue that their production is significantly more energy intense and requires minerals that involve deforestation and child labour.

Definite work to be done here but, when you have a huge industry hankering for a solution in an area where tech research can make breakthroughs changes can happen. Check out, for example, the sodium-ion battery research that is happening.

However, even without that, it doesn't change the fact that over the lifetime of the car the EV is far less energy intensive than a petrol one.

Deforestation and child labour are things that require political and/or industry will to change.

Oh and electrifying all cars will involve the burning of more and more coal - consumption of which has hit record highs, all thanks to nonsense virtue signalling like this.

The world has burnt record levels of coal, but it isn't anything to do with EVs.

Meanwhile, 'virtue signalling' belongs in the box with snowflake. A lazy term to try and dismiss something you don't agree with based on no evidence. "I don't like that therefore it's virtue signalling".

Pushing people to upgrade cars is hardly environmentally friendly either . And it is a tax on the poor not the rich.

You're right, it isn't as environmentally friendly as keeping the cars running until the end of their natural life but, in this case, it's will deliver health benefits to those in the city and so isn't purely about the environmentally friendly argument you're trying to pin it on.

Of course, if someone in the city sells the car on to someone in a more rural area where there isn't such a dense build up of pollution then the car still exists. It's merely replaced by a cleaner one in an area that will feel that impact. So no change to the number of cars on the road.

I agree about the impact on the poor, who are often the people suffering the worst from the pollution. That's why there is a scrappage support scheme. Knowing politicians, it's likely to not be comprehensive enough but, again, that's a political decision.

It is purely virtue signalling and I am amazed at how we get led along these paths

Ahh, virtue signalling again. I mean, apart from all the science backing it up then maybe it is. Wonderful.

Roll on the start of the season :) Generally I ignore these threads on here as they are depressing and hilarious in equal measure but, without football, I've somehow found myself being drawn in.

Possibly the funniest part is where people complain this site is a left wing haven.

Time for me to step away from anything non-football related and let the echo chamber resume.

“I/we can’t afford it”
just cannot be used any more as an excuse to avoid policies that will mitigate climate change.
The whole planet can’t afford for you not to.

“I/we can’t afford it”
just cannot be used any more as an excuse to avoid policies that will mitigate climate change.
The whole planet can’t afford for you not to.
The question is ulez the best policy for climate change? How much impact will it make, not sure of the number of cars in greater london that are impacted, and if people change a 2004 petrol car for a 2006 petrol car, what difference does that make?

The question is ulez the best policy for climate change? How much impact will it make, not sure of the number of cars in greater london that are impacted, and if people change a 2004 petrol car for a 2006 petrol car, what difference does that make?
ULEZ isn't a climate change policy, it's an air quality policy. Whether it actually works is another matter.
It's important to remember as well the government mandated citys to improve air quality so ULEZ schemes are their answer.

November 2021

London’s ULEZ reduced the city’s nitrogen dioxide levels by a few per cent during the first few weeks of its implementation.

This is according to a study by Imperial College London researchers who say their findings highlight that ULEZs are not a silver bullet and that sustained improvements in air pollution require multiple measures.

Between 2016 and 2020, the number of Londoners living in areas with illegally high levels of nitrogen dioxide fell by 94 per cent, and alongside this there were other reductions in London’s air pollution. New research from Imperial has found that changes in air pollution around the introduction of the ULEZ in April 2019 were small in comparison to these longer-term improvements.

July 2022

Cash cow?

March 2023

I thought Brexit meant we could make our own rules. Why shouldn't people be poisoned? Fresh air is a luxury.

Anyone remember all the fuss when leaded petrol was to be phased out? How people moaned and screamed and screamed until they were sick.

We poison the air, the sea, the rivers all in the name of freedom.

;