VAR

Ok, thanks. Didn't see it that way, but must admit my attention was not 100% focused.

It's a very tight decision tbf but they showed some lines that showed him onside on the BBC. As someone who hates VAR with a passion this is exactly the sort of decision where it adds nothing and takes everything away. She gave it as she saw it and that's good enough for me.

It's a very tight decision tbf but they showed some lines that showed him onside on the BBC. As someone who hates VAR with a passion this is exactly the sort of decision where it adds nothing and takes everything away. She gave it as she saw it and that's good enough for me.
Actually, just back from watching the highlights and you (and she) were correct.
(y)

Just what did it take away, other than the risk of an error.

There's no opportunity for an error in one round to even out in another if you are out.

Was it good enough for you when Lerma was sent off because that's how the ref saw it that day. I can tell you I wasn't, especially when it heaped on pressure that started our poor run.

Just what did it take away, other than the risk of an error.

There's no opportunity for an error in one round to even out in another if you are out.

Was it good enough for you when Lerma was sent off because that's how the ref saw it that day. I can tell you I wasn't, especially when it heaped on pressure that started our poor run.

Yes it was good enough for me when the ref made that mistake. Sh*t happens.

To answer your question it takes away part of the enjoyment of every single goal scored. There is always a feeling in the back of your mind that the goal you have just witnessed could be taken away by some guy hundreds of miles away. This takes away the feeling that you are part of an exhilarating live event and replaces it with one where you are watching something that isn't really happening in real time in front of you - everything you are watching comes with a 'subject to review' clause attached to it.

It's an absolute travesty that they have brought it in and our relegation to the Championship has been bliss by comparison. Even if VAR eradicated all refereeing mistakes, which is so painfully and obviously does not do, it would still be a massively negative change to the game.

I know that there are people out there that look at football (and often the world) as a science, where everything has a right and wrong answer that needs to be determined. Football is not science, it is art, that relies on skill and endeavour as well as justice and injustice all of which combine to form the most thrilling form of entertainment there is. VAR is an anathema to that and it needs to be binned.

To answer your question it takes away part of the enjoyment of every single goal scored. There is always a feeling in the back of your mind that the goal you have just witnessed could be taken away by some guy hundreds of miles away. This takes away the feeling that you are part of an exhilarating live event and replaces it with one where you are watching something that isn't really happening in real time in front of you - everything you are watching comes with a 'subject to review' clause attached to it.

It's an absolute travesty that they have brought it in and our relegation to the Championship has been bliss by comparison. Even if VAR eradicated all refereeing mistakes, which is so painfully and obviously does not do, it would still be a massively negative change to the game.

I know that there are people out there that look at football (and often the world) as a science, where everything has a right and wrong answer that needs to be determined. Football is not science, it is art, that relies on skill and endeavour as well as justice and injustice all of which combine to form the most thrilling form of entertainment there is. VAR is an anathema to that and it needs to be binned.

All of this, plus... it’s a shambles.

No scientist worth their salt would ever deal solely in 'right and wrong' answers just degrees of tolerance but I'd probably fall into your definition.

An attraction to poor decision making just turns sport into improv. theatre. There should always be a desire to perform well, whether athlete or official.

What I find bizarre is that if a potential goal was scored pre-VAR, say a potential handball, and the referee didn't immediately award the goal but checked with the lino first before making the correct call there would be pages of posts talking about it being great refereeing whether it was for or against us. As soon as a screen is involved it's "killed" the game.

A late flag ruling out a goal was considered part of the drama, so much so that FIFA and PES made it a feature in the games but if VAR does it it's evil.

I had hoped that VAR would level out the bias directed at smaller clubs in the EPL and provide some consistency in decision making but it only reinforced existing problems so by my measure it was a failure, I just don't understand how some delays are accepted as "part and parcel of the game" without challenge but others are killing it.

I don’t ever remember a flag going up after every single goal and staying up permanently for 3 minutes waiting for them to make a decision, which would be the VAR equivalent...

I don’t ever remember a flag going up after every single goal and staying up permanently for 3 minutes waiting for them to make a decision, which would be the VAR equivalent...

https://www.skysports.com/football/...tatistics-behind-worldwide-use-show-positives

"VAR reviews only come into play roughly one in every three games"

"The median time taken for all incidents is 20 seconds, and the majority of checks take place while play continues or during 'normal' stoppages like goal celebration or when the ball out of play.

VAR-only reviews take a median time of 35 seconds, while on-field reviews take around 68 seconds."

"But here's the thing: the average time lost to VAR is 55 seconds, a small dent on game time in comparison with:

• Free-kicks - 8m 51s
  • Throw-ins - 7m 2s
  • Goal-kicks - 5m 46s
  • Corners - 3m 57s
  • Subs - 2m 57s
    "

"The median time taken for all incidents is 20 seconds, and the majority of checks take place while play continues or during 'normal' stoppages like goal celebration or when the ball out of play.

Only you can't celebrate until they kick-off, because until that happens you never really know...killing all of the drama and passion in the game.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...tatistics-behind-worldwide-use-show-positives

VAR-only reviews take a median time of 35 seconds, while on-field reviews take around 68 seconds."

"But here's the thing: the average time lost to VAR is 55 seconds, a small dent on game time in comparison with:

• Free-kicks - 8m 51s
  • Throw-ins - 7m 2s
  • Goal-kicks - 5m 46s
  • Corners - 3m 57s
  • Subs - 2m 57s
    "

That's nearly a third of the game.
You could probably double that in any game that Burnley are the away side and they take a one nil lead in the first five minutes.

Maybe we need shorter games but with the clock stopping when the ball is dead?

Football just cannot carry on like this....this VAR lark... Fans will drift away to other outdoor pastimes.. Fishing...Bird - watching.....Hiking across moors etc. Bloody site cheaper too.

No scientist worth their salt would ever deal solely in 'right and wrong' answers just degrees of tolerance but I'd probably fall into your definition.

An attraction to poor decision making just turns sport into improv. theatre. There should always be a desire to perform well, whether athlete or official.

What I find bizarre is that if a potential goal was scored pre-VAR, say a potential handball, and the referee didn't immediately award the goal but checked with the lino first before making the correct call there would be pages of posts talking about it being great refereeing whether it was for or against us. As soon as a screen is involved it's "killed" the game.

A late flag ruling out a goal was considered part of the drama, so much so that FIFA and PES made it a feature in the games but if VAR does it it's evil.

I had hoped that VAR would level out the bias directed at smaller clubs in the EPL and provide some consistency in decision making but it only reinforced existing problems so by my measure it was a failure, I just don't understand how some delays are accepted as "part and parcel of the game" without challenge but others are killing it.

The number of times a ref would go consult his lino was small as to be statistically insignificant. When it did happen you could see what was happening in front of you. Likewise for late flags, if it looked tight for offside everyone's eyes were on the lino to see what they were going to do.

VAR has killed the game because, no matter if it only changes a decision once every three games, it is there in the background for every single goal and takes some of the spontaneity away from all of them. You can never really be sure if it's a goal until kick off and that is a tragedy.

True...I'm forcing myself...helped along by loyalty to Boscombe....and the fact that local non league cannot afford the VAR equipment for a long time yet .
Don't think you and I will see VAR in non..league football in our lifetime, try and enjoy football of today for what it is, far from perfect.....but then nothing is...(y)

That's nearly a third of the game.
You could probably double that in any game that Burnley are the away side and they take a one nil lead in the first five minutes.

Maybe we need shorter games but with the clock stopping when the ball is dead?
Nick Pope is bad for that, I'll admit. Especially when you contrast him to Begovic on Tuesday who several times managed to take his goal kicks within a minute of the ball going out! ;)

• Free-kicks - 8m 51s
  • Throw-ins - 7m 2s
  • Goal-kicks - 5m 46s
  • Corners - 3m 57s
  • Subs - 2m 57s
    "
That article is from 3 years ago. Before it was used in England.
The Premier League (or is it the PGMOL) took the whole VAR-thing to a different (lower!) level than anywhere else.
After all the stupidity that's happened with VAR, I still think that what would make most sense would be to never use video review unless requested by one of the managers.
Obviously they'd have to limit the number of times you could request a video review, but it would give most of the power back to the on-field officials and prevent the constant time-wasting of automatic reviews every time a goal is scored. (think of our first 'goal' v Southampton last season that was ruled out because . . . ?? I still don't think we ever figured out why)

I reckon the quickest way to speed up VAR would be to go to the old offside rule - that if you're level, you're onside. That's still the rule in lower leagues, so why change it in the PL. However much they may say that they haven't changed the rule, they have - they have abolished the concept of "level" for offside.

Then for goals like Danny Ings' yesterday, they don't have to fanny about drawing lines on the pitch. They can look at one camera angle, one shot, agree that he was level, and give the goal. After all, when the law was changed 30 years ago to make level=onside, it was specific in the Lancashire FA guidelines for referees, and very probably in other similar publications too, that level meant to be judged by the human eye, not to fractions of an inch, and if a player appeared in nirmal human terms to be level, then he was level.

;