VAR

No arguments there. But if you have to have VAR, what's the least worst way of implementing it? Surely there are ways to make it less bad.
Use it for factual stuff rather than did he handball ball it or not /how bad was that foul ?

And somehow give the ref more confidence to actually go with his decision if called over to the screen .

I think this thread pretty much predicted how it went, so none of it comes as a surprise. You can’t really use it for anything other than the factual stuff. Did the ball cross the goal line. Yes/No.

Even crossing the line for a throw/goal kick has proved controversial.

The UEFA/FIFA system for offsides if it can be sped up to be quicker, would be my only other compromise. I still think it’s potential gain for everything it costs to develop it isn’t worth the hassle. But life is about give and take…

Anything else, I think just leaves the door open for potential shambles.

All this could have been thought about before voting for VAR.

It was clearly just seen as a tool to ensure clubs get the decisions they thought were right and no mistakes would happen.

And the one thing that might help improve the system in automated offsides they don’t want here !

All this could have been thought about before voting for VAR.

It was clearly just seen as a tool to ensure clubs get the decisions they thought were right and no mistakes would happen.

And the one thing that might help improve the system in automated offsides they don’t want here !

To be fair on the offsides. I don’t believe that’s the case, the FIFA system is done with Adidas and the Premier League don’t have a ball deal with adidas so they have to work on their own system.

To be fair on the offsides. I don’t believe that’s the case, the FIFA system is done with Adidas and the Premier League don’t have a ball deal with adidas so they have to work on their own system.
Ah did hear that tbf .

Kind of sums it all up!

Different rules
Different balls

Nothing seems to be the same .

Utter ****************. As if anyone goes home after a game and thinks I really like this 14% improvement.
I agree.

And as there are two teams playing, then it is a 7% improvement for one team, and a 7% improvement for the other, which overall equates to a 0% (i.e. +7% - 7%) improvement for whichever team you want to win.

(I think :))

@Matt Stevenson - please ignore most of the maths in this post

Utter ****************. As if anyone goes home after a game and thinks I really like this 14% improvement.
Quite! And I'd hazard a guess that a referendum of actual match-going fans with the simple question - keep VAR or ditch it? - you'd find the "majority" view isn't what "the majority of supporters" apparently want. I'd ditch it, today, tomorrow and forever. Let the refs take responsibility, and leave us to praise or moan at them.

As for blue cards - for !**&! goodness sake! The likely outcome of that would just be most teams deciding to park the bus for the 10 minutes they're down to 10. As if we need to watch that every week! - it would be turgid beyond Burnley, beyond even our second half v. Florist, and that's saying something. I think I'd rather rub my face with sandpaper.

Again it's all going to be down to the subjective whim of the ref in each match.

Be as inconsistent as every thing else .

You will have fans and managers complaining that their player got a blue card when last week someone against them didn't.

Soon be something else for refs to deal with .

Cue endless debates about what is a “blue card “ and what isn’t.

Can’t see a ‘blue card’ working.
The side down to 10 will surely just sit back until the miscreant returns to the pitch.
I reckon the sin bin will just make football a bit less enjoyable.
Administrators just can’t stop themselves from fiddling with the laws of the game sadly.

;