VAR

Not VAR as such, but Ref related.

Remember Singh the father for some interesting games! Yeovil away springs to mind as one.

Let’s hope Sunny the son does well and is capable. We might well see him at a game soon.

Also found this Vitals gem thanks to Google

I see VAR is just as much of a shambles north of the border as it is in England.

Original decision was a yellow card for a dive, replays show the defender has won the ball but does kick the attacker.

Penalty then given. Shambles.

I see VAR is just as much of a shambles north of the border as it is in England.

Original decision was a yellow card for a dive, replays show the defender has won the ball but does kick the attacker.

Penalty then given. Shambles.
Was rather soft .

Then Rangers have a goal disallowed .

False argument, the moment the ball is played isn't an exact point in time, I've read studies that say people judge it to be something like 0.15 after impact. The cameras while only 30 FPS are still capturing images every 0.03 seconds. The still image isn't perfectly accurate either but perfection is impossible and they are orders of magnitude better at their role than a tired out dude with an obstructed view and behind play.

I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that spending 5 minutes over a decision is as more accurate then 10 seconds. So once again it's the idiots behind the technology that are the problem not the technology itself.

False argument, the moment the ball is played isn't an exact point in time, I've read studies that say people judge it to be something like 0.15 after impact. The cameras while only 30 FPS are still capturing images every 0.03 seconds. The still image isn't perfectly accurate either but perfection is impossible and they are orders of magnitude better at their role than a tired out dude with an obstructed view and behind play.

I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that spending 5 minutes over a decision is as more accurate then 10 seconds. So once again it's the idiots behind the technology that are the problem not the technology itself.

I don’t agree it’s a false argument, I think the technology is pretty much flawed for decisions this close.

The argument isn’t about spending 5 minutes to get the right decision either…it’s about what the game loses having this system hanging over the game.

Hopefully, the semi automated offsides from next season will be better and quicker, unfortunately the Premier League aren’t using the same system as UEFA and FIFA…so hopefully that doesn’t make it more of a mess.

I don’t agree it’s a false argument, I think the technology is pretty much flawed for decisions this close.

The argument isn’t about spending 5 minutes to get the right decision either…it’s about what the game loses having this system hanging over the game.

Hopefully, the semi automated offsides from next season will be better and quicker, unfortunately the Premier League aren’t using the same system as UEFA and FIFA…so hopefully that doesn’t make it more of a mess.
Is it a special “ big six “ system ?

They'll find a way!

Probably break down or something.

It was harsh in that the offside was tight but do think it was just about.

Shame for Coventry.

They've introduced technology into the game that takes so much away and adds not much. It's an absolute travesty and completely ruined the FA cup semi final.

The alternative is a human make worse decisions. The only difference is timings.

If you have a decision that is within the 5/10 seconds that it would've taken for the ref to have a think and check the lino's flag it's totally transparent. What do you lose if within seconds you get confirmation or not of the goal?

The technology is an improvement the implementation is the problem.

The alternative is a human make worse decisions. The only difference is timings.

If you have a decision that is within the 5/10 seconds that it would've taken for the ref to have a think and check the lino's flag it's totally transparent. What do you lose if within seconds you get confirmation or not of the goal?

Personally I don’t see an issue with human error, whether it’s a manager for their selections, a player for their ability or decision making or the officials.

The technology has improved decisions by single digit percents. But the game has lost so much spirit and emotion.

Personally I don’t see an issue with human error, whether it’s a manager for their selections, a player for their ability or decision making or the officials.

The technology has improved decisions by single digit percents. But the game has lost so much spirit and emotion.
Managers use technology to improve their selections, players use technology to improve their abilities, hell even the pitch is loaded with technology but officials must be singled out?

Managers use technology to improve their selections, players use technology to improve their abilities, hell even the pitch is loaded with technology but officials must be singled out?

The officials can use the technology away from the actual game, for their preparations just like your other examples.

The officials can use the technology away from the actual game, for their preparations just like your other examples.
Except they don't, managers are at the touchline with data scientists holding tablets. Players are wearing boots, medical tape, etc and swigging tailored energy drinks on the pitch to gain an advantage while taking and also getting technology driven instructions from the touchline.

A mic in the referees ear is where we draw the line though?

Except they don't, managers are at the touchline with data scientists holding tablets. Players are wearing boots, medical tape, etc and swigging tailored energy drinks on the pitch to gain an advantage while taking and also getting technology driven instructions from the touchline.

A mic in the referees ear is where we draw the line though?

No one knows where to draw the line...that's the problem with that United goal. :)

We could just get rid of all the players and replace them with AI robots. Let us see how far technology can really advance the game.

They'll be so clever they'll never be offside.

Or of course, we could just keep it as the beautiful game and accept human error and appreciate that you'll never get everything 100% right, like life. Enjoy the emotions, the unbridled ecstasy of a goal, foaming at the mouth rage of seeing something you believe is unjust...only to get home later and see it wasn't as clear cut as you thought at the time.

All this never really knowing what's going on, all these changes in the law to try and make everything binary when football is and always will be subjective.

The issue with human error is always that by allowing it, you also create an opportunity for bias. Something that we saw extensively pre-VAR and continue to see after it. If you don't/ can't minimise human error through measurable & automatable means (e.g. goal line technology and automated offsides) then you need to work on eliminating bias. Firstly we need a truly independent body to monitor refereeing standards and secondly we should be using statistical analysis to monitor decisions given vs truly random data to identify areas of (conscious or unconscious) bias to eliminate.

This could help provide some focus areas within the laws of the game to improve clarity and efficacy.

I think if fans and clubs could see it was a level playing field then it wouldn't really matter whether technology was used or not. I do think some technology does give a clear result and improves the game. But other uses of technology are too intrusive to the experience and do not necessarily lead to fairer outcomes.

No one knows where to draw the line...that's the problem with that United goal. :)

We could just get rid of all the players and replace them with AI robots. Let us see how far technology can really advance the game.

They'll be so clever they'll never be offside.

Or of course, we could just keep it as the beautiful game and accept human error and appreciate that you'll never get everything 100% right, like life. Enjoy the emotions, the unbridled ecstasy of a goal, foaming at the mouth rage of seeing something you believe is unjust...only to get home later and see it wasn't as clear cut as you thought at the time.

All this never really knowing what's going on, all these changes in the law to try and make everything binary when football is and always will be subjective.
The "whatever next...[insert ridiculous suggestion]?!?" argument has never sat well with me improving officials decisions won't add robot players. Neither has "You'll never be completely accurate so why bother to improve?".

The obvious solution is that you just pull 22 blokes out of a pub and decide all decisions with a coin toss so long as you're emotional invested in the game. Pretty sure Brian makes that argument fairly regularly.

Although I'd have taken the coin toss system against United!

Humans are still making the decisions though and it’s ruining the game.

;