VAR

Is VAR used for pulling and shoving in the box? An incident in the C R v Serb game that looked a pen but ref didn't blow.

Just heard the commentator say in the Germany game......linesmen have been told if offside is marginal, don't put your flag up, wait for var! !
Can't be right surely?

It is true, although definitely not right but that’s the way VAR is destroying the game. As Rob says, why should we accept it. We don’t have fences any more and we’re fighting for safe standing.

Someone posted on this forum a while ago saying that a referee had told them that if he wanted, he could give a pen on just about every corner kick.
However, for some bizarre reason there is a completely different standard for all the clutching and grabbing that goes on during a corner. So, you don't really need VAR to see that -- refs have been seeing it forever but for whatever reason have allowed the creation of a game within a game where fouling is allowed unless someone gets killed or loses a limb.

Just heard the commentator say in the Germany game......linesmen have been told if offside is marginal, don't put your flag up, wait for var! !
Can't be right surely?
I think it is better to let Var decide if it is offside. If a player is flagged offside but isn`t why should he lose the opportunity to score?

Or we go back to the old system where the lino holds flag aloft whilst a player is in an offside position and it's up to the ref to judge whether that coincided with the ball being played, or maybe I'm crazy and the game got through 100 years of it's rules absolutely fine until the myriad of rule changes we've had every summer the last 30 years

VAR will of course also prevent players from appealing decisions because it's all on camera and yet we have more appeals than ever before and now finger pointing at the big screens.

But we should all just roll over and accept it's happening without complaint.

I just heard ITV bloke say that there's a line where it's a shove and a foul but that isn't defined in the rules. EXACTLY, and that's where VAR doesn't help

For my own mind though, do we know what the chats are like. I hope it's similar to the way we review decisions in recent years. The ref needs some input before the screen bit happens, so I hope they're like the following

VAR-avan (like caravan, it's a pun): Did you see the push
Ref: Yup, was it far worse than I thought?
VARavan: Yup, you should squint
Ref: Cheers, will do

VARavan: Did you see the push
Ref: Nope, I'll have a look

VARavan: Did you see the push
Ref: Yup, was it far worse than I thought?
VARavan: Nah, your call
Ref: We'll crack on then

edit: copy and paste rammed that point too far

Last edited:
The Luddites are seriously misunderstood. They weren't protesting against technology but rather the way that technology would be used to circumvent standard workforce practices.

Stopping the game whilst Korea are in front of the opposition goal. What if he'd decided it wasn't a penno, does he send the varavan off for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity

I would love to punish teams with points deductions if their players are cheating on the pitch, that would cure it almost overnight!

Managers have it in their power to stop their players from cheating and conning referees. VAR should only be used for penalty calls and offsides.

Stopping the game whilst Korea are in front of the opposition goal. What if he'd decided it wasn't a penno, does he send the varavan off for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity
I thought exactly the same. Korea would have been furious that they had a potential chance taken away.

What would have happened if the referee had let the game continue and South Korea scored? Then went and checked the video and found it was a clear cut penalty for Sweden, 1-1 or take away the SK goal?

;