VAR

Wasn't so much the ref going to check at the side, that I understand. It was the time it took to refer it to him. It was blatant from the first reply that he was going to have to check it but we were on the verge of the goal kick being taken before they told him to check it. It was one of those were it should have been an almost instant 'you need to check that'. Just poor implementation from the refs in the replay room.

Has a referee ever looked at the replay and said "nope, I was right in the first place, no penalty carry on as before,"
It seems to me that as soon as var gets involved and the ref goes to the screen he changes his original decision. In which case, why can't the decision just be given remotely avoiding the delay to check on pitch side?
It may look initially that the ref loses his authority on the game but as everyone gets used to it and it becomes the norm surely it will help speed things up?

Has a referee ever looked at the replay and said "nope, I was right in the first place, no penalty carry on as before,"
It seems to me that as soon as var gets involved and the ref goes to the screen he changes his original decision. In which case, why can't the decision just be given remotely avoiding the delay to check on pitch side?
It may look initially that the ref loses his authority on the game but as everyone gets used to it and it becomes the norm surely it will help speed things up?
I think that, if the referee has chosen not to stop play, and he asks the VARs (through his headset) to check, one of two things happens -- either they say "It's OK, you were right, nothing happened" or they tell him "oops, you missed one, better check it out".
He would only stop play and go check in the second instance, which is why it always plays out the way it does.
The guys in the video booth are actual match referees so it's pretty unlikely the on-field ref would have a different opinion after viewing the footage.

The worst thing that is going to happen is that goals are going to be ruled out because the linesman didn't spot that somebody's toenail was offside.

I think that, if the referee has chosen not to stop play, and he asks the VARs (through his headset) to check, one of two things happens -- either they say "It's OK, you were right, nothing happened" or they tell him "oops, you missed one, better check it out".
He would only stop play and go check in the second instance, which is why it always plays out the way it does.
The guys in the video booth are actual match referees so it's pretty unlikely the on-field ref would have a different opinion after viewing the footage.

But doesn't that prove my point? Let them make the decision... Why do we need the pitch side tv screen?

To give the illusion that the referee is making the final call, illusion shattered for me when that ref stopped play as South Korea were just outside the other teams area

Disputed penalty for Portugal as Ronaldo goes down, not given by referee at the time. Then a little later goes and looks at VAR and gives penalty.

Ronaldo steps up and gives the keeper an easy save, justice done.

Why doesn't he strap a video monitor to his chest ,save him running to the touchline every few minutes....?

Watching Portugal. VAR really is an absolute joke. Referee cajoled into reviewing a handball call and gives a penalty. God hope this never arrives here.

Wherever you stand on VAR that was a shambles. Not sure if the fault of the ref, the VAR officials or 2 teams packed full of cheating c@£$s

Tales of two South American referees.

We had the Paraguay referee in tonight’s game consulting VAR 3 times.

In our game game against Tunisia we had a referee from Colombia who didn’t consult VAR for the 2 penalty calls against Harry Kane.

A mixed night for VAR! The Spanish equaliser in the last minute WAS onside, so it got that one correct. Ronaldo was clipped for the penalty he was awarded, so that was probably right as well. The Portugal handball though was a bad decision and a case where the referee has been hung out to dry by the panel, who must have asked him to look when he hadn't given it.

What did people think of the Ronaldo elbow incident. I thought it could have been red but suspect was so hacked off by then he just wanted out of there

;