VAR

But now, the players are also confused. On P-E A's goal today, the flag goes up (in error) and Ashley Young more or less shuts down.

A question for you all as I continue to learn. Who are "the powers that be" and would they not be open to removing VAR after this season of discontent? I was telling my golf-buddy about the VAR controversy (he is not a football fan) and he said "well, if it's that bad, you will only have to put up with it for this year". You'd hope so, wouldn't you.
Just watched that . . . linesman should never had lifted his flag.
On the other hand, Young stopped and raised his own hand appealing for offside before the lino had done anything, so he really has no excuse. It's almost like the lino was fooled initially by Young!

On the other hand, Young stopped and raised his own hand appealing for offside before the lino had done anything, so he really has no excuse. It's almost like the lino was fooled initially by Young!
Agree - all of us who grew up playing hockey always were told to play to the whistle. Young did not. But I thought the linos were instructed to keep their flags down if in doubt and let play progress, with VAR to sort it out.
I said from early on that "replay" was maling a mess in North American pro sports, but VAR is trumping replay.

Young is a fool, he appeals for everything and refs are sick of listening to him. the sooner he retires from the game the better.

He's the sort who would probably still be complaining even when it was shown the goal was clearly onside...

Even with us Young liked a little moan and played for fouls very well - was a forward/winger back then.

86.31 Crystal Palace score against West Ham - disallowed for offside

88.48 Goal given

2 minutes and 17 seconds, to use not fit for purpose technology. To over turn a goal by a leg hair.

One minute later (although did include a sub) game actually kicks off.

Shambles.

Some absolute shockers today.

The worst is Spurs equaliser against Watford, a clear handball by Ali, it went to VAR, VAR put No Goal up on the board but ref still gave the goal anyway... Watford had a stonewall penalty not given as well to rub salt in the wound.

Wolves had a goal ruled out for offside but the PL hasn't released the footage and have told BeIN Sports they can't have it. There appears to be no offside at all from the pictures shown so far.

The worst is Spurs equaliser against Watford, a clear handball by Ali, it went to VAR, VAR put No Goal up on the board but ref still gave the goal anyway... Watford had a stonewall penalty not given as well to rub salt in the wound.

The penalty was another one of those " no clear and obvious error " bottle jobs .

The Ali goal was via his shoulder and the first time the screen flashes up goal then no goal before reverting back to the orginal !

Rather summed up VAR nicely !

Football is not enjoyable anymore. Fans can’t celebrate goals until the kick off has been taken, the passion has been sucked from the game and it’s a travesty. I’d rather lose every week from poor officiating than the marginally correct decisions being made right in this way. I couldn’t care less if we scored a goal that was incorrectly ruled out for offside in the moment, at least we as fans would know where we stood! Likewise if a goal against us was incorrectly given when just offside, the most important people in the game our the fans and this is ruining the experience of supporting your team. It’s actually very sad what our great game has become.

So watching MOTD. I stupidly thought VAR would stop this big team bias last season, and the rest of us would get a more even playing field.

I would be incandescent if I supported Burnley (who I really dislike) and Watford on the penalty and Tottenham goal today.

What is the point in it?

Wolves had a goal ruled out for offside but the PL hasn't released the footage and have told BeIN Sports they can't have it. There appears to be no offside at all from the pictures shown so far.
The Wolves goal was offside. But VAR is still sh*t!

All VAR does is add another shambolic time-wasting level of bureaucracy to make subjective decisions which demonstrate their collective bias, whether overtly or subconsciously, towards the bigger clubs.

Another controversy in the Man U Liverpool game.

Just got in turned Sky on and picture was split half waiting for VAR decision.

I didn’t see what happened before only playback of the Liverpool player being chopped down which was a clear foul.

Now another row, Liverpool goal disallowed after VAR.

Another controversy in the Man U Liverpool game.

Just got in turned Sky on and picture was split half waiting for VAR decision.

I didn’t see what happened before only playback of the Liverpool player being chopped down which was a clear foul.

Now another row, Liverpool goal disallowed after VAR.
And only ONE minute added on!

;