Wembley to be sold?

As long as it will be used like in the past

There's no need for it not to be.

If I was buying it I'd want the key tenant and their showpiece FA cup final to be signed up for a number of years. The FA will also probably want this.

There's talk of Autumn internationals having to go on the road but this wouldn't be a problem for many.

That's not to say they won't balls the deal up and squander the money.

If it is sold I'd want the government to put some pressure on for some thorough accounting of what money came in fom the sale and how it gets spent. We can't have another Olympic Stadium financial farce where the public get a poor and rather murky deal.

If it is sold I'd want the government to put some pressure on for some thorough accounting of what money came in fom the sale and how it gets spent. We can't have another Olympic Stadium financial farce where the public get a poor and rather murky deal.

You can't...but you will.

Only NFL can regularly sell out Wembley these days.

Look at most England games, plenty of empty seats, bored schoolkids messing around with paper airplanes, bored middle aged men looking at their phones and a few tw*ts blowing a trumpet all game.

Listening to the Fulham owner on Sportsweek earlier he was saying the deal will be £1 billion.

£600,000 he will pay and £400,000 with the FA part, England games, Cup Finals etc.

Also had Kevin Keegan on the programme re Salah and Liverpool, but he was asked his view on Wembley. He thought as long as England still played there and the Cup Finals, he would be in favour.

Like us on this MB have said, he is not in favour of the semi-finals being played at Wembley, but play them at different venues around the country as we used to, that would make the Final special again.

Keegan didn’t think it mattered who owned the stadium and what it was used for, in the past mentioned all the things he remembered seeing at Wembley, including greyhound racing.

Will Fulham try to move there if the deal goes through.

From what I read in the media that isn't a cert though.

Maybe those at the grassroots who don't seem to be supporting the sale are worried they won't get the millions promised?

I loved those old Insect Cup Finals ..An ear splitting crescendo of EarWig Earwigo Earwigo! Or singing the Cup Final Hymn ...Abide with Bee !
One year they allowed Snails into the competition...they won it ..After extra Slime!

Last edited:
Perhaps it's the industry I'm in but it always seems to me that there is a strange sentimentality about property ownership in this country, even for commercial property.

I've seen it countless times when a firm owns their building and is making a fraction of the return that they would if they invested that cash into their main business.

Obviously football is different, as we know from DC, but this sentimentality about Wembley stadium only seems to stretch as far back as 1999 when they bought it. I can't remember one person saying that it was a national disgrace that the FA didn't own Wembley before then.

I know it's incredibly common but it doesn't seem to make sense in this case.

If you own a factory that makes widgets and you sell and leaseback to raise funds for machinery that build widgets twice as fast it makes sense.

If the FA is a business how will the Wembley money drive profit?

If the FA isn't a business then maybe owning the most iconic bit of English footballing infrastructure is a good thing?

I know it's incredibly common but it doesn't seem to make sense in this case.

If you own a factory that makes widgets and you sell and leaseback to raise funds for machinery that build widgets twice as fast it makes sense.

If the FA is a business how will the Wembley money drive profit?

If the FA isn't a business then maybe owning the most iconic bit of English footballing infrastructure is a good thing?

Why have the money tied up in property? They could invest it in building pitches for kids of training coaches or anything more connected to their purpose.

I don't see why it matters who owns these things - loads of iconic buildings are owned by third parties. As long as they've got a lease that allows them to use it when they need to I can't see the problem. As I say, they didn't own the old one and it didn't seem to be a problem for anyone.

Sale is now off.

Fulham owner Shahid Khan has withdrawn his offer to buy Wembley Stadium from the Football Association after the plan became "divisive".

Khan had offered £600m for the national stadium, with the FA retaining the Club Wembley hospitality rights, which it valued at £250m to £300m.

The move was "more divisive then expected", said FA chief Martin Glenn.

Khan has not ruled out making another bid in future if there is more support from FA Council members.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45893325

Last edited:

;