We're good...

What I most like is you feel with the exception of Solanke and maybe Christie that there is a player that can cover each position if injury/suspension etc.

What I most like is you feel with the exception of Solanke and maybe Christie that there is a player that can cover each position if injury/suspension etc.
And we have Scott and Adams to hopefully come back and add even more quality. Striker is a concern but I think semenyo could fill in if needed

Where can I find the aggregate yellow cards? Still 4 games to go before it clears 5 yellows (I think?).

Thought that tonight. Commentators fixated on how poor Palace were, Hodgson, palace tactics etc.

I switched it off at full time so perhaps they were more positive towards imus after.

You missed a couple of cringe interviews with Solanke and AI.

Even brought the poor Palace performance meme into the interview with Roy which he very understandably took exception to.

Did anyone manage to get Dorset Solent digitally? I couldn't get it from TuneIn or Sounds.

Last edited:
I am not the world's greatest analyst of football. Actually, you could say that I'm not even the greatest analyst of football in our house. I go and watch Boscombe because I enjoy it, not to analyse the guts out of a match.

However, I wonder, is one of the factors in our recent upturn in form that we are making fewer errors in passing? Anybody got the stats to confirm or deny?

I am not the world's greatest analyst of football. Actually, you could say that I'm not even the greatest analyst of football in our house. I go and watch Boscombe because I enjoy it, not to analyse the guts out of a match.

However, I wonder, is one of the factors in our recent upturn in form that we are making fewer errors in passing? Anybody got the stats to confirm or deny?

No idea. But structure, availability of players much better imo.

I think Perhaps familiarity of the system and players roles within has played a big part.

Plus 'detraining' more negative/defensive mindset from previous couple of years.almost a kind of muscle memory thing, where players react a certain way 'naturally' due to doing things a certain way for so long is finally being shifted into something more positive.

Welcome to my world Erik, it's the reason I tend to find a grownup to go to football with.

tbh I just like the jumping around bit when we score

Welcome to my world Erik, it's the reason I tend to find a grownup to go to football with.

tbh I just like the jumping around bit when we score

Same. Score, go nuts, then look at the ref who just stands there with his hand against his ear waiting for some tosser to look for a reason to disallow it. Stop going nuts, look confused then the moments gone. What's the point.

I thought we were poor second half tbh. Lerma unlucky to hit the post and that would have undone the impressive first half efforts.

Palace were poor, lacking the quality of decoure and eze, but stopped us playing. Great to see the effort and fight in the team - sometimes need to win ugly away. This could easily have been another draw tonight though given second half.
Agree with this and I think Iraola, with his 'efficient' comment, was trying hard to not say we weren't very good in the second half... Mind you, he did say "we weren't brilliant"..

The first half, however, was a good display but you knew Palace would come out a better side after half time...But our 'efficient' display nullified them and it became a very flat affair for large parts, which suited us being 0-1 up...

A great result but we do really need to start being more clinical and stop putting us fans through it at just 1-0 :)

Should be a decent game up in Manchester at the weekend.

As I mentioned somewhere else, once you start playing without fear of making a mistake, you tend to make less mistakes.

I think the culture of

"Be brave. The odd mistake will be tolerated if it was made trying to do something positive" ( which I think would be AI's attitude )

has finally filtered through to every player and now they are playing with more confidence and less fear of making a mistake. Consequently they are now making less mistakes.

One stat that jumped out last night was that we'd made significantly fewer passes than Palace. Our pass completion % was even less than theirs -73% which is relatively poor:

I think alot of this is because we are trying to make more technical, positive game changing passes, which are inherently higher risk. Despite the stats above (Palace also made and won more tackles) we were easily the more threatening of the 2 teams.

I suspect the main difference now is we're being more efficient with the ball, and pressing hard to force our opponents back without the ball.

The low block was good last night too.

One stat that jumped out last night was that we'd made significantly fewer passes than Palace. Our pass completion % was even less than theirs -73% which is relatively poor:

I think alot of this is because we are trying to make more technical, positive game changing passes, which are inherently higher risk. Despite the stats above (Palace also made and won more tackles) we were easily the more threatening of the 2 teams.

I suspect the main difference now is we're being more efficient with the ball, and pressing hard to force our opponents back without the ball.

The low block was good last night too.

That's a key thing isn't it. Sometimes worth attempting high risk passes in terms of turnover. It's all well and good saying we had x posession but if you're too safe and scared to take risks, you can end up being ponderous/ predictable and easier to defebd agaibst as littke variation.. as we've witnessed often in the past.

It's not about being mindkess/wasteful, but sometimes 40/60 through ball is worth risk as it will sometimes come off abd lead to one on one or solid chance to score. It also makes opposition think yku may do something unexpected at any point, so they can't get too comfortable as you're not predictable all the time over 90 mins.

Something Parker was guilty of too often. Attacking threat always involved similar patterns going forwards down tge wings, and it seemed sides had us sussed for long periods during 2nd half of season abd we rarely moved away from those patterns. Ended up with moment of Billing brilliance/flair bailing us out, doing something different many times, whereas I think we had the quality to be 'braver', a but like Fulham, but that's not how Parker seemed to operate.

Last edited:
You missed a couple of cringe interviews with Solanke and AI.

Even brought the poor Palace performance meme into the interview with Roy which he very understandably took exception to.

Did anyone manage to get Dorset Solent digitally? I couldn't get it from TuneIn or Sounds.

I thought Roy came across well in the interview. Didn't try and put down his players or blame injuries or decisions, basically said that we played very well and they were in a hard game. Also understood that our recent form makes us better than our league position suggests.

I feel a bit for him with the run they've got coming up, and fans already seemingly toxic.

That's a key thing isn't it. Sometimes worth attempting high risk passes in terms of turnover. It's all well and good saying we had x posession but if you're too safe and scared to take risks, you can end up being ponderous/ predictable and easier to defebd agaibst as littke variation.. as we've witnessed often in the past.

It's not about being mindkess/wasteful, but sometimes 40/60 through ball is worth risk as it will sometimes come off abd lead to one on one or solid chance to score. It also makes opposition think yku may do something unexpected at any point, so they can't get too comfortable as you're not predictable all the time over 90 mins.

Yes exactly, I think there are a couple of aspects to this:

1) Not being afraid to lose possession because we are more confident in either regaining possession through the press, or that our shape will not give them an easy goal scoring opportunity.

2) Knowing we've had results from playing the riskier pass.

You could see they were really uncomfortable playing the ball around the back with our press. They did really well to keep hold of the ball and not give us any easy ones. But they were made to work hard for little reward once they got to the final third.

Credit to Kerkez as well for keeping Olise relatively quiet, he was getting pretty riled at the end!

;