What went wrong?

We were warned about Outtara.

He's a French Ryan Christie.

Panics in front of goal.

Has had probably 5 of our last 8 presentable opportunities in front of goal and spurned most of them.

Not getting on his back but he needs to find composure in front of goal.
He’s played two games and got an assist already. Could have won a penalty today. Always looking to drive at his full back. He ain’t no Ryan Christie, that’s for sure.

Composure in front of goal is completely different to winning a penalty, or providing an assist from the byline.

2 poor misses from lerma first half and semenyo second half don’t help any game plan

felt final ball let us down badly

not enough challenge for the winning goal

Sure, we ride out luck first half but I enjoyed that performance more than the last afcb game at the Amex under Eddie in 2019 —at least GON had a team fired up unlike Eddie

2 poor misses from lerma first half and semenyo second half don’t help any game plan

felt final ball let us down badly

not enough challenge for the winning goal

Sure, we ride out luck first half but I enjoyed that performance more than the last afcb game at the Amex under Eddie in 2019 —at least GON had a team fired up unlike Eddie
That was a fired up team?

Nothing GON can do about awful finishing. We've beaten Brighton comfortably before with fewer chances than that.

However GONs subs and changes second half surrendered the momentum and ultimately the points.

It's not the first time. A brutal education for him.

It's absolutely stunning how he's not learning. Every single time we've been in a position to take points under him we try and sit back and every single time this cost us points.
It's absolute insanity. Especially since have looked decent attacking teams at times
Did we sit back or brighton force us back?

Did we sit back or brighton force us back?

Brighton forced us back, and we responded by sitting even deeper and, at times, not leaving even a single player in the middle third. So they responded by pushing on even more and so on.

It was like a virtuous circle of "Let's help Brighton attack us". When they commit men forward searching for the winner, that's the time a manager can put them in a difficult situation by leaving pace pushed up for a quick break. Instead GON does the opposite.

He did the same against Forest, so it isn't all on Brighton.

As in Fulham, Spurs, Leeds, Forest. How long does this education need to be?

does GON tell the team to sit deep or does lack of confidence come into play in the face of opposition pressure?

leeds was interesting in that we had been pulled back to 3-3 and GON was getting pelters for his substitutions but sent onto Stacey and he misses an unbelievable chance to make it 4-3 to us

Brighton forced us back, and we responded by sitting even deeper and, at times, not leaving even a single player in the middle third. So they responded by pushing on even more and so on.

It was like a virtuous circle of "Let's help Brighton attack us". When they commit men forward searching for the winner, that's the time a manager can put them in a difficult situation by leaving pace pushed up for a quick break. Instead GON does the opposite.

He did the same against Forest, so it isn't all on Brighton.

dont agree, sorry

dont agree, sorry

That's fine, no need to apologise :)

However, the more I see of him, the less I think he might make a decent manager if he spends a few season's in a lower league learning.

I remember in Eddie's early days. He screwed things up but the next time that situation came up he'd approach it differently. He may still not get it right but you could see the progression. With GON, I don't see that.

That's fine, no need to apologise :)

However, the more I see of him, the less I think he might make a decent manager if he spends a few season's in a lower league learning.

I remember in Eddie's early days. He screwed things up but the next time that situation came up he'd approach it differently. He may still not get it right but you could see the progression. With GON, I don't see that.

No doubt GON is trying to learn and will make mistakes. It’s tough when doing so in the prem of course. Comes back to whether there were other options out there instead of GON. I do like what I see of him though tbh - think he is an intelligent coach and some of the criticism he gets is way OTT

However, I am not sure it’s all down to GON. I doubt bringing on Joe rothwell is ever a defensive option tbh. That bench looked weak in terms of options - needs Dom and Tav back and we will get look very different again as an attacking force.

Of course 3 big calls against us again - all very small margins imho

;