What’s going on in the boardroom?

langham

First Team
Reading SP’s latest comment raises more worries about the season: https://www.dorset.live/sport/football/bournemouth-nottingham-forest-lloyd-kelly-7373432

What is our Board our trying to achieve, given they’ll have £100million-plus in the bank? Is the aim to pay back Demin’s loan? Is a pile to be spend on the training complex? Can it be that the new stadium scenario is back? Whatever the strategy, failing to spend a penny so far on recruitment is bizarre - and an invitation to start the season with morale-sapping defeats.

SP seems worried - as evidenced by two interviews in which he calls for reinforcements. If things go wrong on the pitch his relationship with the Board is likely to get messy. We’ve been here before - years pass when the Board says little or nothing, leaving us lot bewildered. Anyone heard anything at all about strategy for 2022-23?

Since the summer of last season, I think Parker has signed a dozen players and half again on loan. It seems a bit jarring to sign a couple of players and then openly slate the team and moan about lack of funds.

I quite like this transfer strategy and I'm not that bothered that it demands a bit more effort from the recruitment team especially if the money is going into the infrastructure.

Parker is starting to get a bit annoying tbh. What message does it send to the players if the man who is supposed to be leading them is just whinging all of the time? If you don’t like it Scott, you don’t have to be here.

It seems obvious we are trying to get defenders, assessing a decent back up keeper plus tavernier.

That’s enough but clearly difficult to get players to come here. Why would they when look at a L1 stadium and we are odds on to go down - paying loads of extra money maybe a way to tempt them but goes against recent strategy.

I think we will get reinforcements but late in the day which is a risk in itself.

Parker is starting to get a bit annoying tbh. What message does it send to the players if the man who is supposed to be leading them is just whinging all of the time? If you don’t like it Scott, you don’t have to be here.
The same goes for us all KK.

lol, he gets criticism for being too positive and now this.

I agree that if they've made a decision to focus on infrastructure then we won't see many big signings. I also could have predicted the mass switch from the same fans now also wanting money spent on players.

We have a ready made team that only needs a few additions, whereas Forest have to try and make one out of all the disparate and expensive bits they have just put together, and having to do so in a league full of teams already better and more integrated than they are.
It seems to me that Cooper has a much harder task on his hands than Scotty on the playing side, whilst also having to keep happy a board that will expect a return on their massive investment.

Last edited:
I wish I could be as sanguine as some others on this forum. The problem year after year is lack of information. I'd feel less worried if we knew the Board intended to "do a Norwich" and plan for the future, perhaps with an expanded/new stadium etc. But we hear nothing and, as things stand, we've not laid out a penny on incomings. That's not a good scenario.

By your own admission "A few need to open their eyes to the reality of the situation we are in right now, if we don’t recruit quite a few very soon then this is going to be a very long season."

So isn't Scotty just echoing exactly what you've said?

Let’s be honest spunking 10’s of millions up against the wall isn’t going to get us challenging for top six . We’re in for a season of struggle regardless of weather or not we bring in an extra couple of defenders .
Hopefully we’ll get a couple of really good loanees and after that we only have to be better than three other teams .
As for more clarity from the board . When has that ever happened . Not in my lifetime unless they’re having to beg the fans for money .

I wish I could be as sanguine as some others on this forum. The problem year after year is lack of information. I'd feel less worried if we knew the Board intended to "do a Norwich" and plan for the future, perhaps with an expanded/new stadium etc. But we hear nothing and, as things stand, we've not laid out a penny on incomings. That's not a good scenario.
But how on earth do you relay that message to fans?

"Okay loyal fans, we're going to spend big on the training ground, which means we can't buy players and we are resigned to getting relegated!"
Do you not think that would effect ticket sales, merchandise sales etc.?
I am all for openness and transparency, however somethings just can't be put out in the open.

Let’s be honest spunking 10’s of millions up against the wall isn’t going to get us challenging for top six . We’re in for a season of struggle regardless of weather or not we bring in an extra couple of defenders .
Hopefully we’ll get a couple of really good loanees and after that we only have to be better than three other teams .
As for more clarity from the board . When has that ever happened . Not in my lifetime unless they’re having to beg the fans for money .
And this current board has never begged for money.

Agreed that "spunking 10’s of millions up against the wall" would be fruitless. But this is elite football - and spending £0 in pre-season when we start with gaping holes in the squad is an invitation to trouble. Balk at paying £12-15mn for Phillips? ... plenty of time to repent when it's too late.

perhap s
Agreed that "spunking 10’s of millions up against the wall" would be fruitless. But this is elite football - and spending £0 in pre-season when we start with gaping holes in the squad is an invitation to trouble. Balk at paying £12-15mn for Phillips? ... plenty of time to repent when it's too late.

perhaps liverpool moved the goalposts and bumped it up to 15-17 same as what forest paid for neco williams

Yes, once again this forum splits into two polar camps where anyone asking for investment in the team is asking for 100m to be spunked aimlessly at foreign clubs to assemble a disparate bunch of mavericks at the expense of a training ground. There is a middle area where we add to a strong squad with three solid defenders at moderate prices.

;