What’s going on in the boardroom?

Nope, you said that one man built the club, which is patently untrue.
Without him we’d have been in the conference. With him we ended up 9th in PL. Yes he didn’t play, or put the cones out or drive the bus if you want to put semantics on it. Everyone and everything that happened was down to him though because Max wouldn’t have bought a conference club, Ake wouldn’t have joined one and we wouldn’t have needed both a chairman and CEO playing Dover or returning as a phoenix club.

Unless you believe we’d have stayed up that year and gone up the four divisions with someone else of course.

Without him we’d have been in the conference. With him we ended up 9th in PL. Yes he didn’t play, or put the cones out or drive the bus if you want to put semantics on it. Everyone and everything that happened was down to him though because Max wouldn’t have bought a conference club, Ake wouldn’t have joined one and we wouldn’t have needed both a chairman and CEO playing Dover or returning as a phoenix club.

Unless you believe we’d have stayed up that year and gone up the four divisions with someone else of course.

Nice of you to be able to speak for Max. Saves him having to pay for an official spokesperson or PR agency.

Just ask the Geordies what they think of Eddie...they are so grateful to him for keeping them up...
The guy is a Thinker and Doer..and will maximise whatever resources are laid before him..

I'll never forget the day we took our first 3 points off Man Utd.. and at the final whistle looking up at my dead Dad looking down !
The wins over Chelsea, Saints and the magical Liverpool victory.

Eddie Howe...created those moments....with so much hard work over a decade.

Last edited:
Just ask the Geordies what they think of Eddie...they are so grateful to him for keeping them up...
The guy is a Thinker and Doer..and will maximise whatever resources are laid before him..

I'll never forget the day we took our first 3 points off Man Utd.. and at the final whistle looking up at my dead Dad looking down !
The wins over Chelsea, Saints and the magical Liverpool victory.

Eddie Howe...created those moments....with so much hard work over a decade.

I doubt there is one poster that disagrees with you Brian.

Yet, He would be the first to admit he had some help from others like his wife, JT, max, Richard Hughes, the fans who put money into sign him and stayed loyal to the team etc

This thread seems to be a pointless waste of time where people are arguing for the sake of it to determine relative degrees of responsibility for success!

There is No point getting in the PL..if you don't intend to stay long.
The aspiration should be...to get as high up as possible eventually by a process of progress.

Howe got us to 9th.

Manu and MC ...were once Newton Heath and Ardwicke.....hard pressed to beat Accrington and Rochdale....For F√ck Sake !

You have to get on it...on the f√cking train....not stood on the platform reading the ticket !

It's like these pussy @rsed pr*c's that talk of 'free hits' when we play MC and Liverpool..that's crap thinking...

We need to Go for the b@stards ...rip it up !

If only I could instill this mentality at DC....and on this Forum !

So what would have happened to our charge up the divisions if nobody drove the bus? Or if nobody negotiated sponsorship or if nobody did the bookkeeping and accounts?

If you want to play that game then without Peter Phillips there would be no stadium, without a new stadium no Eddie Mitchell, blah de blah.

None of that changes the fact that Eddie could not possibly have built this club on his own as you claim. He was an awesome manager, did way too much work, took way too much on his shoulders and was the largest part of getting us to the premier league, but has the club ceased to exist since Eddie left?

No, you can still buy pies, occasionally get through to the ticket office, you can book rooms for business meetings and we still have a youth and development squad.

It's not as good as when he was here but it is still AFCB, it was before Eddie came and it will be for long after he's gone.

One man did not 'build' this club. It was a team effort.

So what would have happened to our charge up the divisions if nobody drove the bus? Or if nobody negotiated sponsorship or if nobody did the bookkeeping and accounts?

If you want to play that game then without Peter Phillips there would be no stadium, without a new stadium no Eddie Mitchell, blah de blah.

None of that changes the fact that Eddie could not possibly have built this club on his own as you claim. He was an awesome manager, did way too much work, took way too much on his shoulders and was the largest part of getting us to the premier league, but has the club ceased to exist since Eddie left?

No, you can still buy pies, occasionally get through to the ticket office, you can book rooms for business meetings and we still have a youth and development squad.

It's not as good as when he was here but it is still AFCB, it was before Eddie came and it will be for long after he's gone.

One man did not 'build' this club. It was a team effort.
I get it. Just as the guy sweeping the floor at NASA put the man on the moon because dust didn’t get into the engine.

Very admirable though process. Very David Brent.

We would not be in the PL next season without Eddie having become manager that miserable December a few years ago when we were bottom of league 2. If you believe otherwise you are deluded. Yes obviously many other people were involved but he led them, they couldn’t do it without him, it’s never happened to anyone else at this club and arguably only one other in British football history so de facto he built it. No need for a semantics discussion.

Last edited:
I get it. Just as the sky sweeping the floor at NASA put the man on the moon because dust didn’t get into the engine.

Very admirable though process. Very David Brent.

We would not be in the PL next season without Eddie having become manager that miserable December a few years ago when we were bottom of league 2. If you believe otherwise you are deluded. Yes obviously many other people were involved but he led them, they couldn’t do it without him, it’s never happened to anyone else at this club and arguably only one other in British football history so de facto he built it. No need for a semantics discussion.
I dont think anyone on here doesn't believe we wouldn't have got to the prem without EH. The point being made is there were many other factors, for which EH wouldn't have achieved it without.
Max's money for one, who scouted and signed Wilson, without his goals we wouldn't have got promoted. The players in general, they had to perform to win those games, the backroom team, christ us fans going to Tranmeres, burtons etc.
The board trusting Eddie, many many factors, some Eddie had influence on, but not all

I know people are more easily offended these days but not sure it’s an insult. Certainly wasn’t meant as one.
View attachment 8303
Funny really as I’m not easily offended,
Also you were not replying to me.
Of course the dictionary definition is correct.
I think the word makes someone try to look as if they are superior and is generally used as an insult in that sense. I suppose I’ve come to dislike it as Waz used it so often.
We all know he knew best.

I posted over a month ago there wasnt money to spend.whether tbe spend the money on the training ground or pay max I dont know.but lets see if what we have is good enough to stay up.

I posted over a month ago there wasnt money to spend.whether tbe spend the money on the training ground or pay max I dont know.but lets see if what we have is good enough to stay up.
I’ve been wondering recently why Max spent last year and not this (if that turns out to be the case). If he wanted his money back (which as a Russian in the current climate you could understand) then last years spend could have been a speculation to get this return on investment.

Funny really as I’m not easily offended,
Also you were not replying to me.
Of course the dictionary definition is correct.
I think the word makes someone try to look as if they are superior and is generally used as an insult in that sense. I suppose I’ve come to dislike it as Waz used it so often.
We all know he knew best.
I don’t feel superior to anyone on here. I do feel inferior to Lord Snooty. So however it read I can assure you it was in its dictionary sense.

I dont think anyone on here doesn't believe we wouldn't have got to the prem without EH. The point being made is there were many other factors, for which EH wouldn't have achieved it without.
Max's money for one, who scouted and signed Wilson, without his goals we wouldn't have got promoted. The players in general, they had to perform to win those games, the backroom team, christ us fans going to Tranmeres, burtons etc.
The board trusting Eddie, many many factors, some Eddie had influence on, but not all
We probably would have gone out of existence. Im assuming you are not going to deny Eddie keeping us in the league was solely down to him. That was the likely prognosis, hence the fear everyone felt that day throughout the club. At best we’d have been bankrupt and in the Conference with all assets sold. So all the things you list afterwards wouldn’t have happened. Max wasn’t going to sit in a stand watching us lose to Dover. Calum Wilson wouldn’t have come etc etc.

We probably would have gone out of existence. Im assuming you are not going to deny Eddie keeping us in the league was solely down to him. That was the likely prognosis, hence the fear everyone felt that day throughout the club. At best we’d have been bankrupt and in the Conference with all assets sold. So all the things you list afterwards wouldn’t have happened. Max wasn’t going to sit in a stand watching us lose to Dover. Calum Wilson wouldn’t have come etc etc.

We get it Neil - Eddie is the primary, no 1, key (whatever word you want) reason we stayed up and got to prem. we all know that.

Just don’t understand why you keep arguing with others so don’t acknowledge other people were important. For example, Eddie relied on JT’s non league knowledge to bring in influential early signings like Liam Feeney and Anton Robinson

We get it Neil - Eddie is the primary, no 1, key (whatever word you want) reason we stayed up and got to prem. we all know that.

Just don’t understand why you keep arguing with others so don’t acknowledge other people were important. For example, Eddie relied on JT’s non league knowledge to bring in influential early signings like Liam Feeney and Anton Robinson
Someone sanctioned signing those players and fletch

So even allowing for the nepotism, only employing useless coaches, deliberately overtraining players so they got injured, the failed transfer policy and refusal to change the system Eddie Howe was actually successful??

Sorry Neil, I appear to have been misreading your posts for a decade! ;)
Imagine what he would have achieved with competent people around gin.

;