Votes: 47 51.1%
  • Asmir Begovic

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • Mark Travers

Votes: 13 14.1%

• Total voters

blandford_cherry

UTC Legend
Mark McAdam has tweeted that we may make 1/2 more signings with a striker being the priority (see incomings thread), so assuming we are left with Begovic, Boruc, Ramsdale and Travers who do you think should start the season as our number 1 next Saturday?

Personally I think it’ll be between Begovic and Travers but who knows. Travers looked excellent V Tottenham but the defence let him down the following week at Palace.

It’s a brave move to start the season with a youngster. Assuming they’re all fit, I think it will be Boruc with Travers on the bench.

Based on two clean sheets so far in preseason ( with some impressive saves ) I'm warming to the idea of Ramsdale getting his chance. If you watch his interview after the Brentford game on COWS he sounds very determined and so far hasn't done anything to harm his chances. In Travers and Ramsdale we really do have two young keepers who can do a job for us. Will be tricky keeping them both happy and at the same time we shouldn't stifle either of their careers. Nice problem to have but a tricky one to solve nonetheless.

My only worry with the ramsdale or Travers starting if we take a hammering from someone like we can do it may affect there conference, but if Eddie is happy with one of them so be it. Also if he is not going to use begovic move him on

I am tempted to go with Ramsdale. He's had league experience where Travers has had hardly any. If we are not getting anyone else in, maybe its the time to make one of the youngsters number one, Boruc as back up. Don't think Bego is a bad keeper though....but maybe he has lost the confidence of us fans and that isn't an ideal situation obviously.
My only fear is with keepers, experience is a major thing for them to have.

•Sell Bego
•Boruc #1
•loan out Rambo until January, keep until summer
•keep Travers until January, send him out on loan to the same team as Rambo until summer.

easy

Has Asmir really been that bad? In the grand scheme of things? Yes he's made some mistakes, yes he looks like he's lacking in confidence, and yes he did fall out with Eddie over being dropped...but he was also in goal at the beginning of last season during our brilliant start...and every league game for the season before.

Asmir is not a bad keeper by any stretch of the imagination. But because he's a bit more of a reserved character I feel fans don't give him the benefit of doubt. I hope he gets back in the team and re-secures the #1 spot.

Has Asmir really been that bad? In the grand scheme of things? Yes he's made some mistakes, yes he looks like he's lacking in confidence, and yes he did fall out with Eddie over being dropped...but he was also in goal at the beginning of last season during our brilliant start...and every league game for the season before.

Asmir is not a bad keeper by any stretch of the imagination. But because he's a bit more of a reserved character I feel fans don't give him the benefit of doubt. I hope he gets back in the team and re-secures the #1 spot.

I get what you're trying to say, and I would agree that deep down he's still a very good goalkeeper.

But.

The stats don't lie, statistically he was the worst goalkeeper in the league by quite some distance. If he does stay it should be as third choice until he proves otherwise in the friendlies or in training.

Indeed. I remember saying on here that we were lucky to have him after his decent start to the season. Then something went wrong and he lost the ability to catch a ball cleanly and started pushing every shot or cross straight back into the danger area, resulting in numerous goals against us. It was a very sudden and very strange loss of form and he fully deserved to get dropped at that time.

I think we've had the best of him though and would be happy sticking with the other three if we could get Bego off the wage bill. That seems to be a sticking point though and of course he's entitled to stay here if he prefers.

I have nothing against him legitimately winning his place back. He should have been the medium term first choice goalkeeper. Very reliable if not spectacular.

But has he really been that bad? Yes he was.

I have nothing against him legitimately winning his place back. He should have been the medium term first choice goalkeeper. Very reliable if not spectacular.

But has he really been that bad? Yes he was.

I agree, I’m not excited about having him back in goal, but then I think of some of the performances Artur put in our first season (V Tottenham) still gives me nightmares. I would rather go with Ramsdale or Travers....look at Pickford for example.

I agree, I’m not excited about having him back in goal, but then I think of some of the performances Artur put in our first season (V Tottenham) still gives me nightmares. I would rather go with Ramsdale or Travers....look at Pickford for example.

But Pickford got relegated with Sunderland before he moved to Everton

;