Votes: 25 27.2%
  • Artur Boruc

Votes: 47 51.1%
  • Asmir Begovic

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • Mark Travers

Votes: 13 14.1%

• Total voters
Has Asmir really been that bad? In the grand scheme of things? Yes he's made some mistakes, yes he looks like he's lacking in confidence, and yes he did fall out with Eddie over being dropped...but he was also in goal at the beginning of last season during our brilliant start...and every league game for the season before.

Asmir is not a bad keeper by any stretch of the imagination. But because he's a bit more of a reserved character I feel fans don't give him the benefit of doubt. I hope he gets back in the team and re-secures the #1 spot.
Unfortunately yeah he really was that bad, we went through a spell last season where he was costing us at least a goal a game. The main issue I’ve got with Bego is that he doesn’t really have any outstanding qualities as a keeper, he’s an ok shot stopper on his day but not great, he is prone to howlers, he regularly palms shots straight into the path of opposition attackers, he has a habit of getting beaten at his near post, despite his size he Rarely commands the penalty area, he is very indecisive when coming off his line, his kicking is poor and he is very slow with the ball at his feet. Added to this he seems to think that he’s entitled to a first team spot! I’m not sure who others have been watching over the past year but as far as I’m concerned he’s a massive (but not the only) reason we didn’t finish higher in the league last season. While he’s on the pitch I’ll support him but from what I’ve seen he simply just isn’t good enough.

I agree, I’m not excited about having him back in goal, but then I think of some of the performances Artur put in our first season (V Tottenham) still gives me nightmares. I would rather go with Ramsdale or Travers....look at Pickford for example.
Difference is Artur will also have games where he looks unbeatable and from time to time will pull off saves he has no right to.

Unfortunately yeah he really was that bad, we went through a spell last season where he was costing us at least a goal a game. The main issue I’ve got with Bego is that he doesn’t really have any outstanding qualities as a keeper, he’s an ok shot stopper on his day but not great, he is prone to howlers, he regularly palms shots straight into the path of opposition attackers, he has a habit of getting beaten at his near post, despite his size he Rarely commands the penalty area, he is very indecisive when coming off his line, his kicking is poor and he is very slow with the ball at his feet. Added to this he seems to think that he’s entitled to a first team spot! I’m not sure who others have been watching over the past year but as far as I’m concerned he’s a massive (but not the only) reason we didn’t finish higher in the league last season. While he’s on the pitch I’ll support him but from what I’ve seen he simply just isn’t good enough.
This

He just doesnt ever win us points, and often costs them. If you read that statbomb article on last season that someone posted earlier it is very damning. The team restricted goal scoring opps to a reasonable level - much better than our 3rd worst defence suggests.

In addition he is out on his own with goals conceeded through unforced errors.

From the very first goal away to WBA when he stayed routed on his line, he has never even looked PL average.

Compare that to the effect Foster had on Watford last season.

In fact if you want the two of them summed up in one game that 3-3 draw is your evidence. Foster brilliant and won a point. Begovic awful and cost us two.

Boruc or Ramsdale ..Travers had a great start and made some worldies but I don’t think he’s ready .

There’s no longer a place for Beko in the team ,confidence is shot ...as many points as Ake saved us last season Asmir cost us .

A good keeper is like having a 20 goal season striker, if you want a good keeper you will need to go and get one, we will not be buying a keeper till we move one on. We need to have an experienced keeper to help sort the defence and fill them with confidence, we need a leader who commands the box,

Stoke saying it’s too late in the window for any Butland deal to be done now (not that I thought this deal was ever a realistic proposition for us in the first place)

I think I'd prefer to see Travers get a loan move to a Championship club, and have Ramsdale be the one competing for the No1 spot with Boruc.

I like Travers but he's not very experienced; Ramsdale has lots of experience already and is the better keeper at this moment in time.

;