Who will EH start vs the hammers???

98Grad

First Team
This year has to be the best depth we've had since we've been in the Premier League no? Francis, Cook, Mings, Defoe, on the bench this past Saturday. Not to mention Lerma and Rico waiting in the wings.....If we can stay healthy and, gel as a team, we could be very dangerous this year.

I think he may start the same team. EH can be reluctant to change a winning team. Am sure he'll be looking at getting Lewis Cook back in soonest opportunity.

EH said he didnt want to change the Marseille thrashing team (not his exact words)

From what I saw on the highlights it seemed like all of our play was coming through Gosling. While that is the case, Lewis Cook can wait his turn on the sidelines.

I see it as either Surman or Cook for the more finesse based midfield role then either Gosling or Lerma for the more combative role.

I'd like to see this (assuming Lerma won't play a part)...

4-3-3

-------------Begovic-------------
Smith---S. Cook---Ake---Daniels
------Gosling-------L. Cook------
King--------Brooks--------Fraser
--------------Wilson--------------

Subs: Boruc, Francis, Mings, Surman, Ibe, Defoe, Mousset

Wilson scored and got an assist, so hopefully he can carry on that form. Smith and Daniels can bomb ahead of Fredericks and Masuaku and cause some real havoc, Cook and Gosling can tuck in as spare defenders, or join the attack if we're really going for it. Simples.

Someone mentioned on here that he’s never started a premier league game without Francis or Surman in the starting 11, how true it is I don’t know, but I’m assuming one or the other will play, most probably Surman.

Someone mentioned on here that he’s never started a premier league game without Francis or Surman in the starting 11, how true it is I don’t know, but I’m assuming one or the other will play, most probably Surman.
I believe that to be the case and it's very frustrating. Time to give the armband to somebody who is nailed on to start week in, week out.

...probably fall back on;

Begovic

Francis
Cook
Ake
Daniels
Smith
Gosling
Surman
Fraser
King
Wilson

....I hope not but I reckon he will be tempted..I am not sure King & Wilson work both were trying to pass to each other when they should have taken the shot last Saturday!

Yes agreed Cook or Gosling are not holding Midfield players, in fact Surman seemed to slot into the middle of the CBs at times. Unfortunately I didn't think Surman had a great game on Saturday, so his place must be at risk once Lerma is fit.
Once Junior is back too, then the competition really hots up. Can anyone remember the last time Simon Francis was on the bench & didn't start a game?

Yes agreed Cook or Gosling are not holding Midfield players, in fact Surman seemed to slot into the middle of the CBs at times. Unfortunately I didn't think Surman had a great game on Saturday, so his place must be at risk once Lerma is fit.
Once Junior is back too, then the competition really hots up. Can anyone remember the last time Simon Francis was on the bench & didn't start a game?
Last Saturday?

...probably fall back on;

Begovic

Francis
Cook
Ake
Daniels
Smith
Gosling
Surman
Fraser
King
Wilson

....I hope not but I reckon he will be tempted..I am not sure King & Wilson work both were trying to pass to each other when they should have taken the shot last Saturday!

In the post match interview on COWS Eddie mentioned that he liked what he saw in the partnership King<->Wilson so I would imagine the two will be starting again at WHAM. I agree that at times when they play together it does look like neither of them really wants to take the responsibility for trying to score and that they tend to look for each other rather than go for the shot. Hopefully they'll both learn to be a bit more selfish at times. The trick is being clever enough to know when to take the shot and when it's better to pass to a teammate. It's not as if every pass they play to the other always results in a goal so nobody would be too upset if occasionally they took responsibility and took a shot even though the pass was on. Hopefully they'll find the right balance between selfishness and being in a partnership otherwise we might be better off just playing either one of them up front on his own so there is no confusion about who is responsible for what.

From what a lot of people saying who have seen Lerma play in Spain, he isn't really a holding midfield player either. More of a box to box player who can put his foot in when needed. That would mean the only true holding player we have is Surman. Therefore, I think in time Eddie will simply go with the 2 best midfielders - Cook and Lerma (hopefully)

If we don’t play Lewis Cook our creativity in midfield will be sadly lacking
I'd like to see this (assuming Lerma won't play a part)...

4-3-3

-------------Begovic-------------
Smith---S. Cook---Ake---Daniels
------Gosling-------L. Cook------
King--------Brooks--------Fraser
--------------Wilson--------------

Subs: Boruc, Francis, Mings, Surman, Ibe, Defoe, Mousset

Wilson scored and got an assist, so hopefully he can carry on that form. Smith and Daniels can bomb ahead of Fredericks and Masuaku and cause some real havoc, Cook and Gosling can tuck in as spare defenders, or join the attack if we're really going for it. Simples.
That would be my team v WH as well, with maximum creativity from Lewis and Brooksy.

I’d like to see him stick with Brooks and him not do a vanishing act like Lewis after his debut in against Man Utd in the opening game 2 years ago. I’m sure he will.

The only true holding player we have is Surman.

Our only holding player can’t defend in any way, shape or form. He can’t tackle, be a forceful presence, win the ball back or...run. Andrew Surman is the opposite of an “engine”. But don’t worry, he can “spray the ball out wide” and “recycle possession”. You have to offer far more than that at this level to justify starting games.

Personally, I think Surman is much better further forward. He can play slide-rule passes, has an excellent footballing brain, and has an underrated shot on him. Sure, he’s lacking in other areas; he’s too one-footed to be a proper No10, but that’s why he’s not a top player. When he played further forward last season, he got 2 goals and 4(???) assists. He did far more than he did in the previous 2 seasons in a span of around 3 months. And this is where he always played at Saints/Norwich (obviously he was younger but the point still stands).

He doesn’t do nearly enough in a two-man midfield to be a holding player in this league imo. Maybe in a 3, but definitely not in a 2. I was hoping that’s why we brought Lerma in...

;