Why.................

corfe_red

Fans' Favourite
Watching the FA highlights,

why do player get booked for taking their shirts off, even though they have another shirt / t shirt underneath (thought it was to do with naked torso ?)

why do players take their shirt off ?

why is a yellow card foul for a pen, but a red for a freekick outside the box ?

Asking for a friend……

The double jeopardy of both a red card and a pen is very harsh. Steve Cook, anyone? The rule should be one or the other, at the discretion of the aggrieved team. (It's OK, boys, I invent rules as I go along).

The double jeopardy of both a red card and a pen is very harsh. Steve Cook, anyone? The rule should be one or the other, at the discretion of the aggrieved team. (It's OK, boys, I invent rules as I go along).
No it shouldn’t. The rule has been in place for as long as I can remember and is absolutely fine. The last thing the game needs is even more rule changes, there have already been too many and it only ever makes things worse. It was never broken so why it continues to be tinkered with is a mystery. The handball law used to be pretty cut and dry, now nobody has a clue. VAR is ruining the game as a spectacle. Why don’t we just introduce three thirty minute thirds and scrap throw ins too?

why do player get booked for taking their shirts off, even though they have another shirt / t shirt underneath (thought it was to do with naked torso ?)

Asking for a friend……
I know, absolutely ridiculous. So silly.

If a foul takes place in a clear goal scoring opportunity, surely giving a pen balances it out by providing a clear goal scoring opportunity. If it's outside the box, then a red card is fair enough I think. The alternative would be to just award a pen instead of a red even if it happens outside the box. Current rule as you say doesn't make sense, especially as goalies can just bring players down and only get yellows.

Why was the law created that a player got a yellow for taking their shirt off? Seems so arbitrary

Displaying slogans, campaigns, political or just other sponsors.

A player got booked once for flashing his paddy power boxers.

No it shouldn’t. The rule has been in place for as long as I can remember and is absolutely fine. The last thing the game needs is even more rule changes, there have already been too many and it only ever makes things worse. It was never broken so why it continues to be tinkered with is a mystery. The handball law used to be pretty cut and dry, now nobody has a clue. VAR is ruining the game as a spectacle. Why don’t we just introduce three thirty minute thirds and scrap throw ins too?
Never figured you for a "traditionalist".

Just saying that the way it is is very harsh. If it occurs in the first 10 minutes of a game, chances are it is no longer a competitive contest.

If a foul takes place in a clear goal scoring opportunity, surely giving a pen balances it out by providing a clear goal scoring opportunity. If it's outside the box, then a red card is fair enough I think. The alternative would be to just award a pen instead of a red even if it happens outside the box. Current rule as you say doesn't make sense, especially as goalies can just bring players down and only get yellows.
Not sure I agree with that. Just balancing out the consequence by giving a pen ignores the wilfulness of the offence, which IMO needs to be punished, like all punishments to deter further offences. I’ve seen goalies dismissed for bringing down players (Jens Lehman Champions League Final v. Barcelona anyone?)- have goalies got some kind of immunity now I wasn’t aware of?

To protect the sponsors. When they're running around celebrating they want their brand all over the internet and the back pages. Stupid rule.

Political reasons too. You can be certain people would be revealing pro russia/Ukraine, israel/Palestine 'messages' if there wasn't these rules In place.

Mind you, half the England team would probably have been revealing gender/sexual persuasion t shirts... before still playing in Qatar... or even signing for teams in Saudi.

Strong convictions for sure...

I get the red card for DGSO but more concerning was how wrong the ref got the penalty. It was a foot outside the box and he immediately blew for a pen. If it had been played at ground without VAR then the pen would have stood. Ok, so would the yellow card when it was a red under the rules so the ref originally got both decisions wrong. To me that's more concerning than asking ' why'

Reactions: DJ

Officially it's because they've removed a way for the referee to identify them. Unofficially it's to stop players revealing political messages.

There's loads of reasons why players do it.

Asking for a friend……

When denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity and the foul itself doesn't justify a card then it's a red card outside the area but a yellow inside because it was considered overly harsh to award a penalty and send a player off.

;