Wilder

Sacked or decided to leave ?

Must have had some falling out or not given the support he hoped for to get Sheffield U promoted.

I know there were some boardroom issues in the past between the current and ex owner.

..the thanks that you in football thesedays!..I am no big fan of the guy, but come on he has got Sheffield United promoted and had a decent first season back up...yes it has been a struggle for them this time but I am sure he could do a 'Dyche' and get them back in contention to return in a season or two?

The current state of football with no fans in the grounds has obviously had a huge impact on the lower reaches of The PL where noisy home crowds can really raise their teams and make the away teams work harder...I think we know tnat to our cost last season?

oh well I guess we were truly spolit under Eddie Howe with the stability and security of no constant changes and upheavals!!

Just listening to TS and they are discussing this... Talking about when he took over Sheff Utd were in League 1... Dire straits... Lost his first 4 games in charge... Fans at odds with the players and board... but over time he has brought the club through the leagues, playing some great football and brought the whole club, fans, and board back together for some truly epic times... with the fans chanting "he's one of our own..."

Sound like anyone we know...?

I know we've had discussions on Wilder and on the whole I think the general feeling is most dislike him... But the job he's done there almost mirrors what Eddie did here, albeit at a club that naturally is a 'bigger' club than ours so less eyebrows have been raised at their rise through the leagues...and deserves some credit...

No doubt there will be a lot of clubs clambering around for him... including ours probably... Not sure how I feel about him at DC...

The talk is the Sheffield Utd board decided they didn't want to be so dependant on one old fashioned style manager running the whole show. Again some parallels there to us perhaps.

Their board wanted to bring in a technical director and new recruitment team and tweak the manager into more a head coach role.

Wilder refused to work in that structure and here they are.

The talk is the Sheffield Utd board decided they didn't want to be so dependant on one old fashioned style manager running the whole show. Again some parallels there to us perhaps.

Their board wanted to bring in a technical director and new recruitment team and tweak the manager into more a head coach role.

Wilder refused to work in that structure and here they are.

I know the traditional view is that it's best to leave everything to the manager but he's hardly in a position to start calling the shots after they've been shite for at least a year and have signed loads of duds.

Local lad, supports the team and well as formerly played for them and then became their manager.

So he is their Northern Eddie Howe.

They had been a League 1 club since they were relegated from the Championship at the end of the 2010-11 season.

He joined them in May 2016 and that season his first in charge they were promoted as Champions with a record 100 points.

Like AFCB, United were in the Championship for two seasons before being promoted up into the Premier League.

Unlike Eddie Howe, Wilder has only kept his side In the top league for two seasons.

But both managers had the success of taking the teams they support from the lower leagues up into the top one.

So both sets of supporters have a lot to thank them for.

..the signing of 'duds' is something I guess that clubs (like us) can't compete in the market for most quality players and are left to take chances on Liverpool cast offs like Smith,Ibe,Solanke,Brewtser and Harry Wilson...and when they don't pay off plenty of money is wasted as happened with Howe and Wilder...Sean Dyche done well and has been fortunate at Burnley but they are a team just waiting the executioner and PL trap door...and he will be gone too...Smith at Villa so nearly got shoved out last season but they prevailed and he has turned things around (although for how long?)

The manager merry go round will always throw off some of the guys who are battling to stay on the gravy train and struggle...I guess Bruce will be next and even Super Sam doesn't look like he will keep WBA up!

"Best English manager"
giphy.gif

..the signing of 'duds' is something I guess that clubs (like us) can't compete in the market for most quality players and are left to take chances on Liverpool cast offs like Smith,Ibe,Solanke,Brewtser and Harry Wilson...and when they don't pay off plenty of money is wasted as happened with Howe and Wilder...Sean Dyche done well and has been fortunate at Burnley but they are a team just waiting the executioner and PL trap door...and he will be gone too...Smith at Villa so nearly got shoved out last season but they prevailed and he has turned things around (although for how long?)

The manager merry go round will always throw off some of the guys who are battling to stay on the gravy train and struggle...I guess Bruce will be next and even Super Sam doesn't look like he will keep WBA up!

Slightly OT here but I don't think Solanke can be referred to as a dud... OK it took him a long time to settle and show what he can do, but he was always playing second fiddle to both Josh and Callum in the PL, and I think if he bangs in another 5/6 goals between now and the end of the season, I think we could see some decent (possibly break even/profit making) bids come in for him in the off-season...

Slightly OT here but I don't think Solanke can be referred to as a dud... OK it took him a long time to settle and show what he can do, but he was always playing second fiddle to both Josh and Callum in the PL, and I think if he bangs in another 5/6 goals between now and the end of the season, I think we could see some decent (possibly break even/profit making) bids come in for him in the off-season...
...yeah maybe tad harsh as he has stepped up this season..

“Leaving” Sheffield United having taken them from league one to the premier league.

Did he jump or was he pushed ........ I think we all know the answer to that question.
They could have at least given him the opportunity to rebuild next season.

Another board of directors showing no loyalty to someone who has done so much for the club.

To be honest, I hope they sink to oblivion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55254730

Just my view of course.

Apologies, just seen the other thread.

I must get these specs sorted out

Last edited:
Reactions: rgb
Don't like the guy, didn't he mention David Brooks during a pre-match conference a while ago. Eddie would have said 'I don't discuss other teams players'.

Would I like him here next season as our next manager next season? He was able to get Sheff. Utd promoted into the PL. I don't know.

;