Wilson having medical

bigfatolly - 15/8/2016 23:46

Eunan and Macca were only put there because they had no one else,nothing to do with converting Eunan to a right back.
A bit like in Sunday league where the poo-pooest player gets put at left back ....

But all my mates told me I was a really good left back. bar stewards.

The Alchemist - 15/8/2016 22:23

SlowDownDerek - 15/8/2016 21:54

I still think we need cover at right back. Franno can't be RB cover if he's first choice CB.

Marc Wilson will cover both CB and RB. 3 players who can play RB is probably enough.

Didn't he play in midfield for us when he was on loan from Pompey? I can't remember him playing in defence.

Kevin Bond used him as a midfielder yes, central and even left if I remember. But since he's been a defender throughout his career.

Looking at his career so far it would appear that Wilson has mostly played either midfield or full back rather than centre back, which is a tad worrying as this is the area of most concern with the current squad.

Hmm, interesting. I thought he'd been playing CB but it seems to have been holding midfielder or full back:

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/stoke-city-marc-wilson-happy-midfielder/story-19815613-detail/story.html#axzz2ex2sVpvF

I think he'll be very much in EHs mind as a defender primarily but 'utility' is his strength, similar to Ake...

If you take Cook and Franno as starters, we then have Mings, Cargill, Ake and Wilson as back ups... I think EH could see this as enough...

Personally I would have liked us to sign someone who would dislodge someone in our team, not another back up. Admittedly our "back ups" are better than last years, but apart from Ibe, who's affectively replaced Ritchie, Lewis Cook is the only starter from our signings.
Is Francis & Cook going to keep us up? I prefer Francis at RB

Marc Wilson when asked about his best position by Stoke fans in his recent twitter outburst, described himself as a centre back.

However he can certainly play either full back side and defensive midfield.

Mings once fit, also Ake, and now Wilson will all get chances in the back four or just in front of it at some stage in the near future. One or two, or all 3, may prove themselves to be better than the incumbents, Or they may not. Howe's decisions to make.

I would imagine it now means Francis focuses more on CB now. Ideally cutting out errors like Sunday as a result!

Smith Francis Cook Daneils

OR

Ake Wilson Mings B.Smith

As back 4s

Surman OR Ake OR Wilson sitting in front.

It makes our defensive options much better rounded for me. Hopefully in time we'll settle on a unit that proves more solid than last season.

And it sounds like Eddie is interested in one more, given his replies when asked about any other potential signings.

I see him primarily as Smiths 'shadow' for rb, with Franno being kept as CB. That still leaves another right sided CB to come in and we know the Club are still looking to bring one or two more in.

Having a Wilson and Ake gives added cover if both first choice backs, Cb's or even midfielders are unavailable.

Ake prefers left side and though Wilson has mostly played that side too - he apparently prefers right side.

A good piece of business and leaves only one hole to fill but at a pinch we could now manage with what we have if the right player is not out there right now.

Regularly played as centre back for Stoke in the absence of Huth and has also regularly played as centre back for Republic Of Ireland.

He could also play the deep sitting midfield role, drop into the back four for when Francis goes on a gallop, or drop into a back five when out of possession against some of the more pressing sides.

Lots of options, but experience at the back, tall and can play out from the back. Also at his peak at 28/29 and somewhat of a bargain at £1.5million.

Could well tick all the boxes if it works out well.

in some games we could also see a 4-2-3-1 with 2 deeper lying midfielders from any of surman, ake or wilson protecting the defence

So reading the posts he might play at CB, RB, or CM

I can't imagine he'll get straight into the team - I'm not sure how match fit he might be, and I doubt he's AFCB fit.

So a spot on the subs bench while they get him up to speed seems likely.

Happy with this

;