Womens Euros

Ian Wright now . giving it Welly on the Telly about more 'gills' being allowed to play football..or soccer probably...in schools....
...well that's all fine and dandy ... but will that take up lesson time whereupon said 'gills' would have been learning to cook pies and cakes ?....you know..when they takes tins and trays to school.....so when they becomes wife's and muvvers.. so we gets fed innit Ian bruv me la'.. Ye God's!

Ian Wright now . giving it Welly on the Telly about more 'gills' being allowed to play football..or soccer probably...in schools....
...well that's all fine and dandy ... but will that take up lesson time whereupon said 'gills' would have been learning to cook pies and cakes ?....you know..when they takes tins and trays to school.....so when they becomes wife's and muvvers.. we gets fed innit Ian bruv 'la'.. Ye God's!

So long as home economics doesn't get brushed aside

If women can provide that level of entertainment ...there is surely a case for Equal Pay to men...
and.. and...none of those playing last evening threw themselves to ground with a chipped fingernail, chafing bra- strap... or baited the referee.

The quality like you said of even semi pro is unbelievably high. Isn’t the nat league south and north now pro and paying decent money?

Yes, apparently so

'Most National League clubs are fully professional, while most National League North and National League South clubs are professional. '

Yep my experience even of top Bournemouth amatuer leagues is they're generally full of top few % of players from school still. If you;re not well above average you wouldn;t get into top local teams.., if you were average/above average (not cr4p), you'd still be found out pretty quickly. Never mind Hamworthy, then Poole Town, Wimborne, Dorch, Weymouth etc...most definitely would not be in the squad, never mind selected for part time/national leagues by accident. You still have to be exceptionally good to play at those levels... top couple of % in country I'd say. I'm sure we all have anecdotes of mate/aquinatances, but I can think of some chaps who were banging in 20-50 goals for under 13-under 16's for years for top local youth teams being rejected by Yeovil, Rochdale on trials etc... someone close to me had that, lightening quick, breezed past many teams, scoring way more goals than game played, so makes you wonder what standard actually is if lowly pro clubs like that can afford to reject top of age group in this area players.They usually end up playing in top bournemouth leagues, sometimes hamworthy etc.

So even when we were playing unfashionable teams like Macclesfield, Aldershot, still had healthy rspect for ability/what their players had achieved being in their squads, even subs kicking ball around at half time etc.

Vast majority of players at that level were in involved with pro clubs at some stage, whether released at youth level or further down the line. Bar is ridiculously high still, despite some maybe thinking its non-league/cr4p.

I was comfrtably above average at school, sometimes in squad for a very strong school team, but playing against/with those chaps who played for hamworthy few years later in 5 aside league at work was eye opening. Gulf was incredible, almost laughable impact they had compared to rest of us, so can only imagine how good players for Poole, Dorch etc actually are never mind Bournemouth back in LEague 1/2 days, when they used to destroy Hamworthy each pre season with ease.

Thats why I'm not surprised when every now and then you hear of a pro womans team being beaten 9 nil by an under 14's boys team, lol.

Last edited:
Great result but wasn't Sweden's goal keeper shocking.

The 4th was a poor effort but seen one of our keepers do that before in a big game...

Almost been better trying to not to save it and hope for the best.

3rd I suspect she was caught out like the Swedish defender at the sudden instinctive idea of the back heel.

Problem with goalkeepers is partly
The goal which were designed for male GK who are 6 foot 3 or taller on average. A tall woman is 5 foot 9 and simply cant cover. I do like the lack of diving and then getting straight back up.

there are plenty of tall women around aren't there? and last night, when the swedish goalkeeper was chipped, she got both hands to the ball, but still managed to let it go thru and over head her head - I would say technique was dodgy (on that occasion), rather than just her height

No it’s because they’ve realised that girls have just as much right to play sport as boys do and football has been led by old men for too long.

It’s nothing to do with being equal on a physical level and everything to do with being equal in opportunities.

Should girls grow up thinking they shouldn’t play football because they’ll never be able to kick as hard as a boy? No, they should grow up idolising the female stars of football, just as girl tennis players or athletes do. That’s why money has been poured into the female game for the first time and thus it’s development is building rapidly. It’s still got a hundred years to catch up to the men’s game.

What a difference a couple of weeks make. At the start of the Euros there was a lot of push back, against comparing men's and women's football, it's typical B.B.C. wokery-pokery making us watch it on primetime. Now they're getting massive viewing figures and loads of people taking a new/real interest in football. This week the E.F.L. kicks off, the Prem-de-la-Prem the week after, there's going to be loads of people saying " why do they compare men's football to women's football, how come it gets so much air time" : )

We're all the same but different, let's celebrate a home nation doing well in an international competition on home soil. Just like 10 years ago, there were doom and gloomers about then, before it began but it turned out to be bloody brilliant : )
Wouldn't mistake a vocal minority (i.e. Dragonm8 types) complaining about it as a lot of push back. I've struggled to find many with similar views. It is mostly just the odd desperate, sad individual cowering in the corner terrified of change, bashing away at their laptop on Twitter and football forums.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07n8q35

This is an interesting podcast re. the history of women's football and why it's so far behind the men's game. I could take or leave the comedian, but the professor provides a great history lesson, including the idea that women's football was actually bigger than men's until around the 20s.

...well that's all fine and dandy ... but will that take up lesson time whereupon said 'gills' would have been learning to cook pies and cakes ?....you know..when they takes tins and trays to school.....so when they becomes wife's and muvvers.. so we gets fed innit Ian bruv me la'.. Ye God's!

No it’s because they’ve realised that girls have just as much right to play sport as boys do and football has been led by old men for too long.

It’s nothing to do with being equal on a physical level and everything to do with being equal in opportunities.

Should girls grow up thinking they shouldn’t play football because they’ll never be able to kick as hard as a boy? No, they should grow up idolising the female stars of football, just as girl tennis players or athletes do. That’s why money has been poured into the female game for the first time and thus it’s development is building rapidly. It’s still got a hundred years to catch up to the men’s game.

Just like how 'sporty' boys, who are maybe tall for their age and tend to be good at everything, get tapped up by football and cricket coaches, I know ladies who are very passionate about their netball, hockey or athletics - all sports that would normally hoover up the 'sporty' girls. All eyes on the Commonwealths shortly, exiting times.

I'm sure there is room (and opportunity should be afforded) for girls to try all this stuff and pick what they might want to pursue. But football will have to find it's place in an existing pecking order for girls sport. Where in that order it might go isn't for me to say! Time will tell.

Last edited:
I think a certain level of humour can be applied here ..as with everything else ..

What is strange is.. if girls are not able or allowed to play football..how the f√ck did we arrive at last night.

I'm sure I saw some girls in England shirts and some from Sweden, whacking a ball around at Bramall Lane !

I think Ian Wright is just angling for some more time kneeling before QE2.

there are plenty of tall women around aren't there? and last night, when the swedish goalkeeper was chipped, she got both hands to the ball, but still managed to let it go thru and over head her head - I would say technique was dodgy (on that occasion), rather than just her height

Not many over 6 foot

Not many over 6 foot

As well as heigh, jumping reach also contributes (men/boys, generally can reach further when doing straight standing jumps), along with hand eye co-ordination not being in general as good (apparently).

Also, small pool of women attempt football compared to large % of men in this country, so no doubt as popularity grows, women that are outliers/excel at those things will become more prevalent in the game.

There are certainly few tall players around, Wendie Renard (France) is 1.87m or 6ft 2in. It appears there are three USA players 6ft or more. Probably stretched them on the rack when they were younger!

I just hope that the womens football juggernaut just encourages more women and young girls to do sport generally.

Slight worry that it will start dominating to the detriment of other sports at youth level etc..

Girls should get to play whatever they like and have fun doing it. When they’re older they will gravitate towards the sports they love and are good at, especially if that’s a high standard.

Same as it’s always been for boys.

;