You think we have problems

Too many outside influences involved to even get me to predict our season. Get the window shut and a few games out of the way and then maybe I'll feel different. Love to see a super season!

We don’t have the best squad, purely because of our options upfront. Solanke seems like a good bloke and a hardworker, and he may well be fantastic at this level, but he’s not proven himself to be anything close to the goal scorer we need. Same with Surridge.

Our midfield options are pretty fantastic, and our defence is a good mix of PL quality and exciting youth.

Begovic is Begovic, and then we have an again unproven at a consistent level Travers. We sold our No1, yet Watford and Norwich kept theirs.

I’m excited for the season ahead but I think to assume the squad as is, is going to easily win the league, is naive. The only logical reason Neil would say this is because you could say that we’d maybe go up more easily with a “better manager”. Which is fine, but we haven’t seen any of the season yet, and that point on Tindall has already been made. Numerous times.

Norwich have kept a majority of their team from last year. Don't know whether thats good or bad.

And usually my dreams for a great season are shattered about ten past three mid August!

The rest of your post just comes across like a deranged Donald Trump, whipping up imaginary opposition just to prove a point. You do it quite often.

I dont.... I was just replying to a fake news challenge ;)

You declared we had the best squad, said anything other than automatic promotion was failure and asked people to name a better squad to prove you wrong. You brought it up in this thread when you said you're still waiting for someone to name a better squad. All my cognitive bias no doubt.
You see there you go again. I haven’t ‘declared’ I didn’t stand on a box holding a scroll Del. I shared my opinion on a fans forum. I asked people if there was a better squad because we’ve been talking in the pub trying to remember if Bournemouth have ever started a season with the strongest team in the league... I personally think this is the first time. Surely that’s something to be proud of?

We don’t have the best squad, purely because of our options upfront. Solanke seems like a good bloke and a hardworker, and he may well be fantastic at this level, but he’s not proven himself to be anything close to the goal scorer we need. Same with Surridge.

Our midfield options are pretty fantastic, and our defence is a good mix of PL quality and exciting youth.

Begovic is Begovic, and then we have an again unproven at a consistent level Travers. We sold our No1, yet Watford and Norwich kept theirs.

I’m excited for the season ahead but I think to assume the squad as is, is going to easily win the league, is naive. The only logical reason Neil would say this is because you could say that we’d maybe go up more easily with a “better manager”. Which is fine, but we haven’t seen any of the season yet, and that point on Tindall has already been made. Numerous times.
I’m not making any links with JT. Like all managers I will judge him whether his team over performs their collective talent, performs to it or underperforms to it. Taking into account injuries, luck, fixture pile ups and everything else that can make or break any squad. That comes from today. Before today I was just enjoying the fact we are in a unique position for us and wondering if I was alone in thinking it.

Your points on the squad I semi agree with, I’d like a stronger keeper. I think that’s arguing about what makes our squad perfect not whether it’s the best squad as I’d imagine most fans outside of Manchester and Merseyside have positions of concern. I don’t think on form a front three of Danjuma, Brooks and Solanke can be touched collectively and we haven’t signed the two forwards we actually want yet. Exciting times... can’t you just enjoy them?

You see there you go again. I haven’t ‘declared’ I didn’t stand on a box holding a scroll Del. I shared my opinion on a fans forum. I asked people if there was a better squad because we’ve been talking in the pub trying to remember if Bournemouth have ever started a season with the strongest team in the league... I personally think this is the first time. Surely that’s something to be proud of?

I think you're rowing back on the thrust of why you said we had the best squad in the league, which was a preemptive dig at Tindall.

Anyway let's agree that we both hope they prove they are the best side in the league like they did last time.

surely you realise declaring we have the best squad/team in the division and anything short of promotion will be failure whilst hugely questioning the ability of our new manager, may come across to some as creating an imaginary stick with which to beat that manager at some point in the future?

I’m not making any links with JT. Like all managers I will judge him whether his team over performs their collective talent, performs to it or underperforms to it. Taking into account injuries, luck, fixture pile ups and everything else that can make or break any squad. That comes from today. Before today I was just enjoying the fact we are in a unique position for us and wondering if I was alone in thinking it.

Your points on the squad I semi agree with, I’d like a stronger keeper. I think that’s arguing about what makes our squad perfect not whether it’s the best squad as I’d imagine most fans outside of Manchester and Merseyside have positions of concern. I don’t think on form a front three of Danjuma, Brooks and Solanke can be touched collectively and we haven’t signed the two forwards we actually want yet. Exciting times... can’t you just enjoy them?

Neil just because I slightly disagree with you on the strength of the squad doesn’t mean I’M not enjoying myself. I appreciate the concern though. :grinning:

The strength of the squad will be determined by the results....

...if we lost today and say Coventry , Rotherham or Wycombe win...then they had a stronger squad on the day...its as simple as that...and then more accurately, at the end of the season our position will tell how strong the squad was.
NO other factors count ! RE- ZULTZ !

Last edited:
Sad there are no crowds at the start.

Would love to have heard the Liverpool fans sing the Yorkshire anthem " Where have you been since Ah saw Thee"

Or at DC... " where be that Blackburn be... they be up the Wurzel tree...Blackburn we'll av ee!

surely you realise declaring we have the best squad/team in the division and anything short of promotion will be failure whilst hugely questioning the ability of our new manager, may come across to some as creating an imaginary stick with which to beat that manager at some point in the future?
I would if I didn’t write on every post that the best squad on paper has often come a cropper with injuries and luck and that managers have to be judged in the round on all of those things.

Don’t join the Del club of reading your own opinions on people into what they write!!

I was in the vast majority of people who didn’t want JT but that’s behind us now and we move forwards as one football club as we always have. I will judge him on what he does with the quality of squad he has to work with taking into account injuries, ref decisions and luck etc. Same as we judge every manager.

The strength of the squad will be determined by the results....

...if we lost today and say Coventry , Rotherham or Wycombe win...then they had a stronger squad on the day...its as simple as that...and then more accurately, at the end of the season our position will tell how strong the squad was.
NO other factors count ! RE- ZULTZ !
That’s just wrong Brian though! If Liverpool lose today and West Brom win Liverpool’s squad will still be infinitely better. You know that.

I think you're rowing back on the thrust of why you said we had the best squad in the league, which was a preemptive dig at Tindall.

Anyway let's agree that we both hope they prove they are the best side in the league like they did last time.
I’m not rowing anywhere. You are rowing as ever... just in the different pronunciation of the word.;)

Its the usual 'big em up knock 'em down ' tactic that we're getting used to reading.

Without doubt someone will throw the following line in when it goes pete tong further down the line.

'We all agreed it was the strongest starting line up in the league'......well we didn't and we haven't.

That’s just wrong Brian though! If Liverpool lose today and West Brom win Liverpool’s squad will still be infinitely better. You know that.

Oh..OK then Neil...I'm just trying to keep the ball on the ground so to speak...until things get going...
..if the No Crowd or limited crowd scenario continues for most of the season... who knows how all players will function...we could be in for some surprising outcomes!
The Liverpool/Leeds game will be interesting in terms of strength..

Its the usual 'big em up knock 'em down ' tactic that we're getting used to reading.

Without doubt someone will throw the following line in when it goes pete tong further down the line.

'We all agreed it was the strongest starting line up in the league'......well we didn't and we haven't.
It’s not the usual anything. Last season we did all think it was the best squad we had and for a variety of reasons it didn’t perform as it should. That’s life. This season there is not that unanimous feeling (although from what I can gather because people haven’t looked at anyone else’s squad) so I won’t be throwing any lines in. My opinion is it’s the strongest starting line up in the league but needs squad depth in a couple of positions.

In short I’m not building JT up for a fall but suspect there are a few who are softening the situation so we can remain the lovely little cosy club with no expections.

Blackburn Goalkeeper - poor b@sturd !

4-1 ? Yeah I reckon t'will be near it!
!

I’ll take this against one of your picks for the playoffs Brian!
Blackburn keeper making his debut as well, hope it’s a baptism of fire that he doesn’t come out well from!

I haven't had time to read through all the toing and froing of this thread but I agree with some of Neil's view. I start every season believing we've got the best squad and management in the division and I don't bother checking the League table until the end of the season ( still a bit surprised we aren't in the Europa League this season ). I'm an optimist, if things aren't going our way, I start happy clapping, it drowns out the moaning and groaning. : )
Thing is, without Turdis Scrotious and Covid, I've got a belter of a T-shirt that should be making it's MOTD debut tonight : )

;