10 games to go…

DJ

This is probably something I should have thought about heading into the break rather than the night before the next game but anyway…

With 10 games to go we are on 35 points and are 14 points clear of the bottom 3. Even if we ignored the points penalties we’d be 13 points clear and still have a game in hand.

So the question in my mind became… have we ever been (realistically if not mathematically) “safe” this early before?

15/16 - 32 points - 8 points clear
16/17 - 30 points - 5 points clear
17/18 - 32 points - 5 points clear
18/19 - 34 points - 9 points clear
19/20 - 27 points - in the bottom 3 on goal difference

22/23 - 24 points - in the bottom 3, 1 point adrift.

I don’t think so.

We look very comfortable at the moment.
Comfortable but let’s not forget how shocking we were for a big part of the last 3 games against most people’s favourites to go down. Plenty of decent stuff too and we are unbeaten with 7 points but hard to predict what this team will do over the next 8 days in the 3 winnable games against teams who are below us in the table!

Comfortable but let’s not forget how shocking we were for a big part of the last 3 games against most people’s favourites to go down. Plenty of decent stuff too and we are unbeaten with 7 points but hard to predict what this team will do over the next 8 days in the 3 winnable games against teams who are below us in the table!
Shocking??

This is probably something I should have thought about heading into the break rather than the night before the next game but anyway…

With 10 games to go we are on 35 points and are 14 points clear of the bottom 3. Even if we ignored the points penalties we’d be 13 points clear and still have a game in hand.

So the question in my mind became… have we ever been (realistically if not mathematically) “safe” this early before?

15/16 - 32 points - 8 points clear
16/17 - 30 points - 5 points clear
17/18 - 32 points - 5 points clear
18/19 - 34 points - 9 points clear
19/20 - 27 points - in the bottom 3 on goal difference

22/23 - 24 points - in the bottom 3, 1 point adrift.
The big part of this is the combination of highest points total at this pint and the perceived (I've not checked) lack of quality and points of those at the bottom.

This gap is staggering considering our start and another long period of poor results, but shows the potential if we can get more consistent

Last edited:
I think this result nails it as a successful season.

It is reasonable to now think that, for the first time' we could actually end with a positive goal difference and higher wins to defeats ratio, in this league...a slight chance at least...assuming we don't go 'on the beach'.
A win over Everton, a massive club ....should never attract some of the negative comments about players that have appeared on todays threads...about Neto etc.. I mean f√ck a stoat.....it was an Everton players cock - up that dropped 2 points and gave us 3 !

Looking at the bottom four, their current points, the number of remaining matches and the number of matches each of those teams needs to win more than us (X), the chances of any of these catching us is very remote. That assumes we only get one other point from somewhere. Can anyone see Florist, for example, winning six of their last eight?

Matches leftPointsX
Florist8226
Luton8226
Burnley8187
Sheff U9158

Two wins and a draw from our last nine and even the table above becomes redundant.

I hope that on the beach with Iraola will mean playing playing for fun i.e. to win rather than not giving a rat's ärse.

Last edited:

;