Accounts - June 2023

Well we've lost a -£60M from the period and gained a +£44.5 giving something like a +£5M over the three years.
The transfer fees will be spread over the contract period, so our total of say £120M will be recorded as £24M for 5 years or £30 for 4.
We managed the +£44.5M with £80M or £130M (I'm confused to which) of player purchases as well.

View attachment 14078

and looking at this it just seems so hard to understand why we would be the ones who are forced to sell players. I think we might if it makes financial sense but not because we have to.

"The club recorded an operating profit of £52.1m and also recognised a gain of £71.4m upon the write-off of shareholder loans."
No idea how that becomes £44.5M profit but there you go.

You're allowed to "secure fund" (i.e. owner invest) £90M over the 3 year period.

Personally, I don't think Bill would be happy to throw £30M down the drain every season (nor do I blame him!). So it's more a question of running under out own steam than failing to comply with FFP.

The £52.1m is the profit before tax, the £44.5m is after tax.

However, you are quoting published accounts figures but those have to be adjusted for certain items for PSR purposes - one of which is to exclude written off shareholder loans. So that straight away adjusts the £44.5m profit to a loss. There are also a few other adjustments required so you cannot work straight off the published figures.

I also suspect our wage bill will have skyrocketed this year. We only had half a season of the January signings in the last accounts and then some serious recruitment in the summer.

I know this probably should be somewhere else but there’s an article in the Athletic (behind a paywall) about how multi club ownership is failing in France. Bill apparently gets a mention as Lorient are apparently heading for relegation.

I know this probably should be somewhere else but there’s an article in the Athletic (behind a paywall) about how multi club ownership is failing in France. Bill apparently gets a mention as Lorient are apparently heading for relegation.
A lot of French clubs set themselves up as player farms which is why I'm guessing that they are popular for multi-club model.

Don't think you can blame a minority investment in Lorient for relegation, especially as they've spent half the last decade outside the top division.

A lot of French clubs set themselves up as player farms which is why I'm guessing that they are popular for multi-club model.

Don't think you can blame a minority investment in Lorient for relegation, especially as they've spent half the last decade outside the top division.

I'd welcome hearing from the Lorient fan(s) we've had on here in recent months, but from what I gather Romain Faivre was a standout player for Lyon last season. Then his performances dropped right off this season (before coming here early).

Maybe something to do with Foley buying him for Bournemouth, it being made clear he'd have one more season over there before moving to us. What motivation do you have when you've gained your PL move but have to hang around another year. Maybe it requires a certain professional pride to keep performing to your highest level in that situation.

We know ourselves how relegation can happen if a star player starts playing half-arsed.

Last edited:
I'd welcome hearing from the Lorient fan(s) we've had on here in recent months, but from what I gather Romain Faivre was a standout player for Lyon last season. Then his performances dropped right off this season (before coming here early).

Maybe something to do with Foley buying him for Bournemouth, it being made clear he'd have one more season over there before moving to us. What motivation do you have when you've gained your PL move but have to hang around another year. Maybe it requires a certain professional pride to keep performing to your highest level in that situation.

We know ourselves how relegation can happen if a star player starts playing half-arsed.
Not sure I agree with that assessment.

He was on loan last season but performed for them knowing that he would be back at his parent club at the end of the season. I'd be surprised if he would've been happy to sit on the bench or out of the squad for a season rather than playing at Lorient.

The Lorient chap did give an assessment here:

Funnily enough you actually posted something very similar a few posts above and I responded pretty similarly. Points for consistency.

On the above and it’s tricky because obviously the poster is from Twitter, but “increase income - little bits help” is of course true but so is “decrease spend” and I’d suggest there’s more to found in this area than increasing income.

One obvious thing for example would be the potential in something like an increase in ticket prices verses £16 million spent on player agents.

Whilst Neil would maybe point towards directors wages etc.

On the above and it’s tricky because obviously the poster is from Twitter, but “increase income - little bits help” is of course true but so is “decrease spend” and I’d suggest there’s more to found in this area than increasing income.

One obvious thing for example would be the potential in something like an increase in ticket prices verses £16 million spent on player agents.

Whilst Neil would maybe point towards directors wages etc.

There's always an assumption that money spent on agent's fees is an unnecessary waste but why would they just waste money for the sake of it?

There's always an assumption that money spent on agent's fees is an unnecessary waste but why would they just waste money for the sake of it?

This is something that has always amused me as well. I get that nobody likes paying agents but players don't want to feel out new jobs for themselves and sit with a chairman negotiating a contract. Equally, the club might feel an agent is appropriate to find suitors for players for loans or permanent transfers.

Well, firstly, there won’t be an influx of signings like we’ve seen since the takeover. Thus there will automatically be less spend on agents.

We’ve also had a run on players extending their contracts, such as Philip and Solanke. We need to sort out Lewis Cook, but again. There’s less spend there.

Well, firstly, there won’t be an influx of signings like we’ve seen since the takeover. Thus there will automatically be less spend on agents.

We’ve also had a run on players extending their contracts, such as Philip and Solanke. We need to sort out Lewis Cook, but again. There’s less spend there.
Agents take a cut of wages and/or a signing fee when a contract is renegotiated.

This is something that has always amused me as well. I get that nobody likes paying agents but players don't want to feel out new jobs for themselves and sit with a chairman negotiating a contract. Equally, the club might feel an agent is appropriate to find suitors for players for loans or permanent transfers.

Precisely. Someone obviously feels these people are adding value, unless there is some sort of dodgy dealings going on but that's not something most of us will know.

Yes fair point as to why the figures for AFCB should hopefully reduce.

Reactions: DJ
Yes and so when we have fewer contracts to renegotiate we will be spending less on agents fees…
If we have fewer contracted players then the saving in player wages will dwarf any saving in agent fees.

I've never really understood why the clubs are responsible for paying anything to the agents. They are acting for the players, not the clubs. I deal extensively with agents across the film/TV/literary space, and they are paid by their clients (actors/writers etc), a % of the fees they negotiate. They wouldn't dream of asking a film studio to pay their commission, that's between the agent and the actor. I can only assume football agents get paid by both club and player - it's extortion, plain and simple!

If we have fewer contracted players then the saving in player wages will dwarf any saving in agent fees.

Having fewer contracts to renegotiate is not the same thing as having fewer contracted players.

;