Accounts - June 2023

Wouldn't you need to compare ticket prices and median income per seat rather than the overall average. The clubs who have the highest income per seat are those who charge loads to corporate people yet many have some relatively low season ticket prices.

I thought we had one of the lowest percentages of hospitality in the league?

I thought we had one of the lowest percentages of hospitality in the league?

We did but Jim F has gone about maximising it and you'd think some of the immediate changes he made to corporate charges would have made it into this accounting period.

Our season ticket prices don't stand out too much for a southern club. The average income per seat could be higher due to lack of concessions compared to other clubs.

Wouldn't you need to compare ticket prices and median income per seat rather than the overall average. The clubs who have the highest income per seat are those who charge loads to corporate people yet many have some relatively low season ticket prices.

As I was just disproving the notion of “cheap”/ “subsidised” tickets no I don’t.

But considering the % of hospitality seats we offer in comparison to other clubs, I’m not sure that helps your argument anyway.

We did but Jim F has gone about maximising it and you'd think some of the immediate changes he made to corporate charges would have made it into this accounting period.

Not much would have made it into this accounting period. He only joined the club for the second half of this accounting period and would have had very limited movement in regards to ticket sales and hospitality.

The summer alterations, price hikes, concession changes, increased hospitality, the tent etc will all appear in the accounts in 12 months time.

As I was just disproving the notion of “cheap”/ “subsidised” tickets no I don’t.

But considering the % of hospitality seats we offer in comparison to other clubs, I’m not sure that helps your argument anyway.

It's just a basic economics point. They are cheaper than the equilibrium price where demand = supply therefore the fact that this price is not charged means that they are effectively subsidised.

Not much would have made it into this accounting period. He only joined the club for the second half of this accounting period and would have had very limited movement in regards to ticket sales and hospitality.

The summer alterations, price hikes, concession changes, increased hospitality, the tent etc will all appear in the accounts in 12 months time.

So you say, I suspect the fact that earnings per seat went up 15% despite no increase in ticket prices for the period in question would suggest that some extra income was included.

So you say, I suspect the fact that earnings per seat went up 15% despite no increase in ticket prices for the period in question would suggest that some extra income was included.

Cup games in previous period were MK Dons and Boreham Wood, as opposed to Burnley and Everton.

Then of course there’s the whole 4 fewer league games for the same season ticket price, which is a de facto price rise pro rata.

Cup games in previous period were MK Dons and Boreham Wood, as opposed to Burnley and Everton.

Then of course there’s the whole 4 fewer league games for the same season ticket price, which is a de facto price rise pro rata.

It's not down to a price rise pro rata - the 15% was on the total price per seat of £679. It was actually a 29% increase per game according to the tweet you quoted. This 15% increase is above the previous PL season judging by that graph. Tickets were the same price across all of those seasons so there must be some Jim F factor going on in those figures.

This 15% increase is above the previous PL season judging by that graph.

The previous Premier League season being the one with the final few games behind closed doors and pro rata refunds issued you mean? :)

But yes last season is also higher than previous seasons to that, so there is a marginal increase of maybe £4/5 maybe 6 per supporter, per game when squinting at the chart in comparison to 2017-18?

Doesn't the loan write off appear in the P&L account as exceptional income?

Yes, but as "exceptional income" it would not normally come into PSR calculations - hence the reference in the summary you posted earlier to an underlying loss for the year.

I believe there are several adjustments made to the annual accounts figures for PSR purposes although the "underlying profits/losses" are normally reasonably close to the relevant PSR figures.

The previous Premier League season being the one with the final few games behind closed doors and pro rata refunds issued you mean? :)

But yes last season is also higher than previous seasons to that, so there is a marginal increase of maybe £4/5 maybe 6 per supporter, per game when squinting at the chart in comparison to 2017-18?

Sorry I was referring to the last proper season - you can see from the graph how badly Covid affected those two seasons. In the other seasons total income per seat hovers around the same level whilst the prices are frozen then jumps 15% last year. We know that attendances, prices, hospitality etc are up this season so you'd expect a significant increase again next year.

We know that attendances, prices, hospitality etc are up this season so you'd expect a significant increase again next year.

Well, we know the standard season ticket price rise was a blanket 9.7% so that would crudely take the price per seat per match figure to £49.11 and that’s before the tent, hospitality increases etc.

A figure that’s already double that of Aston Villa, Wolves, Crystal Palace, Leicester et al. However, I believe most all did price increases too, so that will fluctuate.

It’ll be intriguing.

Well, we know the standard season ticket price rise was a blanket 9.7% so that would crudely take the price per seat per match figure to £49.11 and that’s before the tent, hospitality increases etc.

A figure that’s already double that of Aston Villa, Wolves, Crystal Palace, Leicester et al. However, I believe most all did price increases too, so that will fluctuate.

It’ll be intriguing.

As I've said the actual ticket price is what is relevant to supporters not the average income per seat. If Jim somehow managed to charge £10k per seat in hospitality it would massively boost the price per seat but wouldn't bother me.

Free enterprise Tory to the fore.

You know it ;)

Anyway, for this specific example, I don't see what the issue is.

It doesn't make sense why they didn't and won't continue to raise price of tickets. We froze ours for years, we have a tiny ground. People want new players, stadium and all the rest. Who are we expecting to foot the bill here?>

As I've said the actual ticket price is what is relevant to supporters not the average income per seat. If Jim somehow managed to charge £10k per seat in hospitality it would massively boost the price per seat but wouldn't bother me.
Fair to say that was well covered at the time…

Fair to say that was well covered at the time…

Yes as was said at the time I think expecting supporters to pay more for the first time in nine years was reasonable given the massive investment in players and new manager intended to bring more exciting football.

Some of the concession changes I thought were reasonable and some definitely not.

;